* NYC DH Week
@ 2017-01-05 19:07 John Muccigrosso
       [not found] ` <f48ee0d0-45bb-4d1b-8632-5a9817a10e6b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: John Muccigrosso @ 2017-01-05 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

pandockers,

(Thought I might have coined a phrase, but I see it's been used a couple of
times. @jgm, you should ™ that.)

I just found out that I'm doing a workshop at the NYC DH week in a month
(Feb 9, 1-3pm, to be precise). I've called it "Making the most of text:
Using a text-only workflow with markdown and pandoc".

Any suggestions/tips gratefully appreciated.

* Re: NYC DH Week
       [not found] ` <f48ee0d0-45bb-4d1b-8632-5a9817a10e6b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-01-05 20:51   ` Fernando Botelho
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Fernando Botelho @ 2017-01-05 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Please share the Youtube link when it becomes available.

Fernando

On 01/05/2017 05:07 PM, John Muccigrosso wrote:
> pandockers,
>
> (Thought I might have coined a phrase, but I see it's been used a
> couple of times. @jgm, you should ™ that.)
>
> I just found out that I'm doing a workshop at the NYC DH week in a
> month (Feb 9, 1-3pm, to be precise). I've called it "Making the most
> of text: Using a text-only workflow with markdown and pandoc".
>
> Any suggestions/tips gratefully appreciated.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/f48ee0d0-45bb-4d1b-8632-5a9817a10e6b%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/f48ee0d0-45bb-4d1b-8632-5a9817a10e6b%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

* Re: NYC DH Week
       [not found] ` <f48ee0d0-45bb-4d1b-8632-5a9817a10e6b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-01-05 21:23   ` Albert Krewinkel
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2017-01-05 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

John Muccigrosso <jmuccigr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> pandockers,
>
> (Thought I might have coined a phrase, but I see it's been used a couple of
> times. @jgm, you should ™ that.)
>
> I just found out that I'm doing a workshop at the NYC DH week in a month (Feb 9,
> 1-3pm, to be precise). I've called it "Making the most of text: Using a
> text-only workflow with markdown and pandoc".
>
> Any suggestions/tips gratefully appreciated.

Maybe this paper (well, preprint) is of interest to you. It's written
with computer- and natural science in mind, but might still contain some
useful info: "Formatting Open Science: agile creation of multiple
document types by writing academic manuscripts in pandoc markdown"
https://peerj.com/preprints/2648/

The corresponding git repo is here:
https://github.com/robert-winkler/scientific-articles-markdown

I'm still working on the lua scripts to make metadata handling as simple
as possible.

Feedback is of course very welcome.

--
Albert Krewinkel

* Re: NYC DH Week
       [not found] ` <f48ee0d0-45bb-4d1b-8632-5a9817a10e6b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-01-06  2:10   ` John Muccigrosso
       [not found]     ` <70b111ff-2afd-4d57-a0bf-954381198e5b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: John Muccigrosso @ 2017-01-06  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks. I should add that this will be aimed at beginners, but we'll see
who shows up.

* Re: NYC DH Week
       [not found]     ` <70b111ff-2afd-4d57-a0bf-954381198e5b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-01-06  8:57       ` BPJ
From: BPJ @ 2017-01-06  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I suppose you already have looked at the tutorials/introd listed on the
wiki?

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/wiki/Documentation-and-Tutorials

fre 6 jan. 2017 kl. 03:11 skrev John Muccigrosso <jmuccigr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>:

> Thanks. I should add that this will be aimed at beginners, but we'll see
> who shows up.
>

> --

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/70b111ff-2afd-4d57-a0bf-954381198e5b%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/70b111ff-2afd-4d57-a0bf-954381198e5b%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

* Re: NYC DH Week
       [not found] ` <f48ee0d0-45bb-4d1b-8632-5a9817a10e6b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-01-07 12:45   ` Scot Mcphee
       [not found]     ` <890F613E-F940-4468-A73C-326CA07C479E-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Scot Mcphee @ 2017-01-07 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

> On 06 Jan 2017, at 05:07 , John Muccigrosso <jmuccigr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> pandockers,
>
> (Thought I might have coined a phrase, but I see it's been used a couple of times. @jgm, you should ™ that.)
>
> I just found out that I'm doing a workshop at the NYC DH week in a month (Feb 9, 1-3pm, to be precise). I've called it "Making the most of text: Using a text-only workflow with markdown and pandoc".
>
> Any suggestions/tips gratefully appreciated.

Hi John

What sort of suggestions were you after. I do quite a lot of DH in Classics on the programming side, but my thesis (which is not DH-based, but straight classics/ancient history) is fully written in pandoc style markdown. Classics has been using digital tools a lot longer than most other humanities disciplines (witness Perseus), because of its long relationship with philology, linguistics, and use of tools like concordances.

Whenever I strike my fellow postgrads struggling with Word issues, I keep telling people to use markdown to write their thesis in markdown. They freak out. They think it’s difficult, when a thesis document nearly all text and simple to write in markdown. Our systems pretty much train them in undergraduate courses to use Word and never let up from that point.

Scot.

--
Scot Mcphee
Computer Programmer, Classics PhD.

* Re: NYC DH Week
       [not found]     ` <890F613E-F940-4468-A73C-326CA07C479E-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-01-09 18:12       ` John Muccigrosso
       [not found]         ` <0f45a959-6d8b-4fa6-bc9e-541cd62976b0-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: John Muccigrosso @ 2017-01-09 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 7:45:39 AM UTC-5, Scot Mcphee wrote:

> On 06 Jan 2017, at 05:07 , John Muccigrosso <jmuc...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> pandockers,
>
> (Thought I might have coined a phrase, but I see it's been used a couple
> of times. @jgm, you should ™ that.)
>
> I just found out that I'm doing a workshop at the NYC DH week in a month
> (Feb 9, 1-3pm, to be precise). I've called it "Making the most of text:
> Using a text-only workflow with markdown and pandoc".
>
> Any suggestions/tips gratefully appreciated.
>

> Hi John
>
> What sort of suggestions were you after. I do quite a lot of DH in
> Classics on the programming side, but my thesis (which is not DH-based, but
> straight classics/ancient history) is fully written in pandoc style
> markdown. Classics has been using digital tools a lot longer than most
> other humanities disciplines (witness Perseus), because of its long
> relationship with philology, linguistics, and use of tools like
> concordances.
>
> Whenever I strike my fellow postgrads struggling with Word issues, I keep
> telling people to use markdown to write their thesis in markdown. They
> freak out. They think it’s difficult, when a thesis document nearly all
> text and simple to write in markdown. Our systems pretty much train them in
> undergraduate courses to use Word and never let up from that point.
>
> Scot.
>
> --
> Scot Mcphee
> Computer Programmer, Classics PhD.
> p +61 412 957414
> e scot....-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org <javascript:>
> w http://autonomous.org/
> <http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fautonomous.org%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEzdj0qs9dNerErHk6s2pPFXLNSAQ>
> t @scotartt

Scott,

I'm looking for whatever people have found useful when introducing the
concept of a text-only workflow to academics, and then adding the pandoc
icing on the cake.

So it's wide open. :-)

I expect most people to be beginners or even completely new to the idea,
though they will sign up for the workshop and so be self-selected, which
should mean that they are at least open to the idea.

So fire away.

* Re: NYC DH Week
       [not found]         ` <0f45a959-6d8b-4fa6-bc9e-541cd62976b0-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-01-11 11:58           ` Scot Mcphee