* Dont want to home-brew the whole pandoc
@ 2019-03-24 22:44 Aftab Pavaiz
       [not found] ` <8e3a11d4-58a1-40fb-8b91-9d128e3c6be2-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Aftab Pavaiz @ 2019-03-24 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I used homebrew to install Pandoc on my MAC and it took ages and a lot of
space on hard drive.
I only want the option to export to PDF and Word. Is there a way to install
only that? I don't want to home-brew the whole Pandoc.

* Re: Dont want to home-brew the whole pandoc
       [not found] ` <8e3a11d4-58a1-40fb-8b91-9d128e3c6be2-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-03-25 13:37   ` Daniel Staal
       [not found]     ` <40e809da-3379-fcc1-65ad-01c5ab3206ef-Jdbf3xiKgS8@public.gmane.org>
From: Daniel Staal @ 2019-03-25 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 3/24/19 6:44 PM, Aftab Pavaiz wrote:
> I used homebrew to install Pandoc on my MAC and it took ages and a lot
> of space on hard drive.
> I only want the option to export to PDF and Word. Is there a way to
> install only that? I don't want to home-brew the whole Pandoc.

There's an installer .pkg here:

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/releases/

I suspect it's smaller than a homebrew.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.

@ 2019-03-25 14:37       ` Aftab Parvaiz
       [not found]         ` <1FFB708F-E4B3-414A-81C0-BA1E49F6FC31-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Aftab Parvaiz @ 2019-03-25 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I dont have admin rights on my Mac.

Med hilsen/Regards
Aftab Parvaiz
[Sendt fra min iPhone]

@ 2019-03-25 14:56           ` Daniel Staal
From: Daniel Staal @ 2019-03-25 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 3/25/19 10:37 AM, Aftab Parvaiz wrote:
> I dont have admin rights on my Mac.

Then grab the .zip file for Mac from the same page - it has the
pre-compiled binaries that you can install wherever you like.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.

@ 2019-03-25 18:53   ` Kolen Cheung
       [not found]     ` <d0a1010b-3bc9-4111-90d2-c4dfe09d69ef-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2019-03-25 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

But the homebrew ones should be bottled, ie pre-compiled binaries, when did you last install pandoc through homebrew?

@ 2019-03-25 19:06       ` Aftab Pavaiz
       [not found]         ` <CABErJHHyu5sHRBWJUdUN8nNuEJ8YxWzxtujEb-AFPqgAxonY6w-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Aftab Pavaiz @ 2019-03-25 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I tried it yesterday but had to give up since it took loooooooooooong time.

___________________________
Best Regards/ Med Hilsen
*Aftab Parvaiz*

@ 2019-03-25 20:23           ` Kolen Cheung
       [not found]             ` <22be3875-9fa2-4a41-a17e-6ead0d69b526-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2019-03-25 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Then your macOS version probably is very dated. See formula
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/blob/master/Formula/pandoc.rb .
Currently, only as old as Sierra has bottled pandoc.

(Or you may have added install options, where in the latest homebrew
there's only 1 such option `--head`. Any install option triggers build from
source.)

@ 2019-03-25 20:25               ` Kolen Cheung
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2019-03-25 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

So your best option is to use the portable archive in the .zip container.
Unzip it to somewhere in your path and it will work (it is statically
linked.) You can even write a small install script that always install the
latest pandoc if you want.

@ 2019-03-25 21:20               ` Aftab Pavaiz
       [not found]                 ` <CABErJHHj7=XbJpa6jJtA-CF4tbvVoU_zrZbTwRYQttXFzvEMQQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Aftab Pavaiz @ 2019-03-25 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Im on the latest version of Mac 10.14.3
Im new to homebrew. Can someone provide me with the instructions to install
the zip-file with precompiled binaries? I want to install it in my local
folder: /Users/aftabp/MyApplications/
___________________________
Best Regards/ Med Hilsen
*Aftab Parvaiz*

@ 2019-03-26 22:18                   ` Kolen Cheung
       [not found]                     ` <9b4736cd-ba55-43bd-9db4-2fee11b89a64-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2019-03-26 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Strange, it should have used the bottled (precompiled) version instead. You
may try to file a bug report at homebrew, but I've to warn you that you
need to follow there issue tracker guideline otherwise they probably will
be rude. (Understandable because of the workload from volunteered jobs with
no love but often complaints.)

If you can, I think doing it in homebrew is easier (having a package
manager to perform updates for you.) Try these:

```
# have you tried this?
brew update
# what does this output? Read them through and see if they have any
pointers to the problem you're experiencing.
# You could try to save it as txt and put it here or at homebrew's issue
tracker
brew doctor
# what does this say again? Does it mention why it isn't using the bottle?
Again save the log and post it
brew install pandoc
```

Another option to install pandoc if you use conda is just

```
conda install -c conda-forge pandoc -n $yourVirtualEnvironment
```

This normally updates faster than homebrew. Ignore this if you don't know
conda/Anaconda and has no interest in Python.

@ 2019-03-26 22:19                       ` Kolen Cheung
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2019-03-26 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss