Hi Augustin, thanks for the input. It sounds like your corporate dotx template is a little more wacky than mine (except for the footer). I luckily have no page2 summary stuff to deal with, just a standard auto generated TOC. No special section formatting etc luckily. I did look at hand crafting an equivalent dotx, but in this case it does get a tweak every couple months and I'd like other teams to use the automation that I'm building. So a fairly seamless "just drop in the new template" is important. Since my last mail I've worked around a few more issues using the RawBlock approach that Jesse suggested. Page numbers in the footer are still not working, but that has more to do with the mad jumble of a footer in my source template. cheers Alan On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 2:49 PM Agustín Martín wrote: > Hi Alan. > > I have gone through some of the issues you're experiencing. > > We also get an official "corporate" word template, which unfortunately has > been designed by graphic designers and not Word power users. Thus the > template is difficult to work with, using many custom styles alternative to > the standard ones like "This is my corporate title 3" (which is actually a > level 2 title....), and suffering from bad choices like exact line spacing, > or hard-to-change default fonts, or messing up the navigation panel. > > Since we only get new templates every 1-2 years, what I do is I replicate > the look and feel of the template in a sensible way (using standard style > names, and taking advantage of what Word offers). If I get flack for doing > it, I can always create aliases to the standard styles with the "new" > names. In the end I start with a much better working template that uses > standard styles. > > I try to leave pagebreaks for level 1 titles (easy to define in the style, > like you said). If I *really* need additional pagebreaks, I can always use > a lua filter with a specific code-word in my markdown, but that is usually > an indication that something is not quite as "clean" as it should be. > > IMHO the hardest part to get is the second page of the document, if your > template has specific items there such as a table with metadata from the > document, etc. Especially if that has to come before the index. If you can > get by having the index in the second page, you should be able to do most > of what you want anyway. > > Knowing that you can include document properties in your heading/footer > reference doc, makes it really easy to customize the first page (different > from the rest) and the rest of the document with your title, department, > whatever-you-need. Pagenumbers definitely work! > > Another thing that is not easily doable is if your template has different > section formatting (like a last page without header/footer). I've only > successfully worked with one-section reference docs. > > Good luck and BR, > Agustín. > > > On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 4:26:26 PM UTC+2, Alan wrote: >> >> Thanks John, Jesse >> >> Yes, I meant page breaks. Sorry for not being clear. >> The raw openxml block approach works well, thanks for that. I need to >> mull over whether to support a replacement element in the source document >> (eg the horiz line) or just do something like add page breaks before L1 >> headers, but either way it should be doable. >> >> Footers: my reference.docx has got a footer, but it contains two >> elements: an image and a page number. The page number text isn't making it >> to the pandoc output, but the image is. I'm still tinkering with this to >> see if I figure out what's going wrong. >> >> regards >> Alan >> >> >> >> On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 7:17 PM Jesse Rosenthal wrote: >> >>> John MacFarlane writes: >>> >>> > You should be able to insert page breaks using a lua >>> > filter, though. (You'd need to figure out exactly >>> > what openxml code to insert as raw openxml.) >>> >>> The openxml is: >>> >>> >>> >>> So you should be able to insert that as a RawBlock with format "openxml". >>> >>> >>> >>> -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the > Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. > To unsubscribe from this topic, visit > https://groups.google.com/d/topic/pandoc-discuss/zzEvOYD3IR4/unsubscribe. > To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to > pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org > To post to this group, send email to pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org > To view this discussion on the web visit > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/52a0ab63-6bb8-4d35-9736-c6a654fc5982%40googlegroups.com > > . > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To post to this group, send email to pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CABQ_dt9jbn1avtHeq3cJpCe3fGbfAWTJFRdG5oukGPKxRcPr7Q%40mail.gmail.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.