If you're using this with RMarkdown (e.g. via RStudio) the problem most likely lies in knitr or RMarkdown packages in terms of temporary directories generated. On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 10:33 AM Jason Miller wrote: > Pandoc is used to generate a PDF from an R markdown document that has a > chunk that generates a plot using ggplot2 and a custom function, > progress.plot. The chunk looks like this > > > ```{r charts, echo=FALSE, fig.cap="Your progress curve"} > > progress.plot(student) > > ``` > > > The PDF is generated using a LaTeX engine. I think it uses PDFlatex via > pandoc. This is causing a problem that appears to be close to the pandoc > metal. > > It seems like pandoc uses a temporary folder to store the diagram I > generate with ggplot2. The name of that folder has as underscore. This > means the path to the graphic file, a string that's used in the .tex source > file, has an underscore. And the latex compiler doesn't like that. > > ! Missing $ inserted. > > $ > l.142 ...de2020-05-06_files/figure-latex/charts-1} > \caption[Your > progress cu... > > > The "_files" in the latex log snippet, above, is the name of a folder > created by pandoc (or Rmarkdown). I am getting a "Missing $ inserted" > error before the latex compiler craps out. No PDF is generated and the > directory with the figure is deleted. > > Is there a pandoc configuration change to take the underscore out of the > temporary directory's name? Or is there any other workaround that will > allow me to generate figures to include in my R markdown document? > > Thanks for whatever advice people can share. > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "pandoc-discuss" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org > To view this discussion on the web visit > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/e448fa9c-3dfd-4eb8-8e06-01efa9c29384%40googlegroups.com > > . > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CABoaWcXysCY8fPMXbZj7m3Nc_b763gnjyBGTm-AJNDt87%2BbARA%40mail.gmail.com.