Thank you so much! Glad I found the right place to ask :) Regards, *Jeffrey Wang* jeffwang16-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 4:34 PM christi...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org < christian.kolen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote: > No worries. I should have mentioned where you could get the info than just > saying it’s there > > It is mentioned in the manual in a subtle way. After you read this thread > then you’d understand the wordings in the manual means it is not bijective. > (I forgot what wording it uses, but the problem is that the info is there > but sometimes not immediately recognizable. May be it didn’t use the word > lossy, but did mention it’s limitation.) > > It is also frequently mentioned in this pandoc-discuss. And in fact I was > in your shoes asking for this years ago and wrote a summary on this here. > Ie rather than searching the whole web, searching pandoc-discuss would be > more fruitful. > > But sometimes the search here aren’t great, ironically I think searching > in google with a phase of pandoc-discuss might help narrow it down better. > > Also, I share your frustration that stuffs we ask/mention are almost > always out there but just that we can’t discover that. So rather than > tempting others to correct you (that the info does exist), simply asking it > might be better, and that’s what pandoc-discuss is for. Unlike GitHub issue > where people should obey much stricter rule of not emitting noise > (frequently violated in pandoc’s issue tracker unfortunately and people are > too kind to suppress them), pandoc-discuss is for any pandoc related > questions, repeated or not. > > On Tuesday, May 4, 2021 at 2:22:48 PM UTC-7 Jeffrey Wang wrote: > >> Great, thanks for the insight everybody, especially John's confirmation >> seals the deal. >> >> In response to "there's actually lots of info about this", I apologize >> that Google's search engine was not strong enough to find me this >> information. I also apologize that I did not invent Google and add semantic >> search to it. I promise I have tried hard to search for this information >> before bothering anybody, and I very much appreciate the explicit >> clarification. >> >> Regards, >> *Jeffrey Wang* >> jeffw...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org >> >> >> On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 3:25 PM christi...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org >> wrote: >> >>> There’s actually lots of info about this. Pandoc is not even idempotent, >>> let alone bijective. >>> >>> So no, you cannot depend on this especially if you want to convert it >>> back and forth a lot of times. >>> >>> On Monday, May 3, 2021 at 3:23:12 PM UTC-7 Jeffrey Wang wrote: >>> >>>> I was not able to find any concrete information establishing the answer >>>> to this question. I ask this to see how much I can depend on using Pandoc >>>> for an application that would convert back and forth between two formats, >>>> one for storage/authoritative purposes and the other for rendering/display >>>> purposes. Thanks! >>> >>> -- >>> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the >>> Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. >>> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit >>> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/pandoc-discuss/NFwWouErsf8/unsubscribe >>> . >>> To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to >>> pandoc-discus...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org >>> To view this discussion on the web visit >>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/0b756db2-f247-49b1-a7dd-e0242e79d956n%40googlegroups.com >>> >>> . >>> >> -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the > Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. > To unsubscribe from this topic, visit > https://groups.google.com/d/topic/pandoc-discuss/NFwWouErsf8/unsubscribe. > To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to > pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org > To view this discussion on the web visit > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/81417776-15c4-4dfb-8229-0dc15614c88dn%40googlegroups.com > > . > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CACZurRdvqjzcik3R9mphkDA94Wgfg5%2B01zQBO7yEixx5YVitvQ%40mail.gmail.com.