Just realized that one approach is to have Pandoc pass the full name string (e.g. 'First Last') to the template, but then to create a macro inside the template that will return just the first word in the string, as described here . That worked for me! On Fri, Feb 3, 2023 at 11:55 AM Paul Kelleher wrote: > Hello, > > Is it possible to use a pipe in a template to generate just the first word > of a variable? > > My specific use case is to produce just the first name of a first-and-last > name that I place in the "to" field of a YAML block that passes info to a > letter template. I'd like to generate "Dear ,". To do this now, > I've defined "to" as an array, with the first name as the first value of > the array and the last name as the second value; then I can use the > predefined 'first' pipe to return just the first name. But for reasons > specific to my particular use case, it'd be great to have a pipe that > returns the first word of a multi-word variable. > > Thanks! > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the > Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. > To unsubscribe from this topic, visit > https://groups.google.com/d/topic/pandoc-discuss/cEe1t7Fw4-o/unsubscribe. > To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to > pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org > To view this discussion on the web visit > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/074330dd-ae01-4471-9550-ea09b2fe7363n%40googlegroups.com > > . > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CAD0VMekeTBm__Qt6bAqFMCQ8TVXF%2Bs9Uf4_xsZHxmJ3b_CNVuw%40mail.gmail.com.