* Issues with Quotation Marks in Pandoc When Mixing Japanese and English Texts
@ 2023-04-09 23:53 Shigeru Kobayashi
       [not found] ` <4a0eafdc-b4a2-4a6a-9488-d2a1c9ef8351n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Shigeru Kobayashi @ 2023-04-09 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Dear Pandoc community,

I have encountered two issues regarding Pandoc's handling of quotation
marks in cases where Japanese and English texts are mixed.

I am using Pandoc version 3.1.2 on macOS 12.6.3, and I can reproduce these
issues. If these are indeed bugs, I am planning to submit them as issues on
GitHub. However, I would appreciate any guidance if these issues arise from
my incorrect usage.

*Issue 1: Conversion of English phrases within Japanese text*
I have observed the following issue. "input.md" is the input file, and
"input.tex" is the output file.

$ pandoc input.md -o input.tex

input.md:
その人は"Hello, world!"と言いました。

input.tex:
その人は''Hello, world!{}``と言いました。

However, the conversion is correct when spaces are added before and after
the double quotation marks.

input.md:
その人は "Hello, world!" と言いました。

input.tex:
その人は ``Hello, world!'' と言いました。

*Issue 2: The quotation marks are treated as Japanese text*

When converting with Pandoc, the quotation marks are treated as Japanese
text, resulting in an unnaturally wide gap. I have confirmed this using two
files, "preamble.tex" and "input.md," and specifying as follows:

$ pandoc input.md -o input.pdf --pdf-engine=xelatex -H preamble.tex.

preamble.tex:
\usepackage{fontspec}

\setmainfont{Georgia}
\setjamainfont{BIZ UDMincho Medium}

input.md:
---
documentclass: bxjsarticle
classoption: pandoc
papersize: a4
fontsize: 10pt
---

# はじめに

その人は "Hello, world!" と言いました。

That person said, "Hello, world!"

[image: pandoc test 2023-04-10 8.47.43.png]

In contrast, when I directly write the content in TeX and output it using $
xelatex test.tex, the quotation marks are treated as English text, and the
expected output is obtained.

test.tex:
\documentclass[a4paper,xelatex,ja=standard]{bxjsarticle}

\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont{Georgia}
\setjamainfont{BIZ UDMincho Medium}

\title{テスト}
\begin{document}
\maketitle

\section{はじめに}

その人は ``Hello, world!'' と言いました。

That person said, ``Hello, world!''

\end{document}

[image: xelatex test 2023-04-10 8.46.44.png]

Shigeru Kobayashi

[-- Attachment #2: xelatex test 2023-04-10 8.46.44.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 150246 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: pandoc test 2023-04-10 8.47.43.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 187444 bytes --]

* Re: Issues with Quotation Marks in Pandoc When Mixing Japanese and English Texts
       [not found] ` <4a0eafdc-b4a2-4a6a-9488-d2a1c9ef8351n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-04-10  7:40   ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2023-04-10  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Does marking the English text as such (with ["Hello world"]{lang=en}) solve your problem?

@ 2023-04-10 17:34   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <D44375EB-4058-4C5F-AF39-461B38B30EE7-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-04-10 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I would recommend using unicode curly quotes in the markdown when you're working in a language without interword spacing. We rely on interword spacing for heuristics about smart quotes.

@ 2023-04-10 23:30       ` Shigeru Kobayashi
       [not found]         ` <602edc59-8983-4459-bbbb-85cee5f013b3n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Shigeru Kobayashi @ 2023-04-10 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Dear Bastien DUMONT and John MacFarlane,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Regarding issue 1, I will use Unicode curly quotes instead of strait quotes
to avoid misinterpretation.

Regarding issue 2, I tried marking the English text as [That person said,
"Hello, world!"]{lang=en}, but the result was the same (i.e., quotes are
typeset with the Japanese font instead of the English font). I also tried
Unicode curly quotes.

I have confirmed that "pandoc input.md -t input.tex" generates a code as
expected as follows:
\foreignlanguage{english}{That person said, ``Hello, world!''}

Therefore, this is puzzling to me...

Best regards,
Shigeru KOBAYASHI

@ 2023-04-11  5:32           ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2023-04-11  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

An if you put the English parts in language spans as I said and add in header-includes \babelfont[english]{rm}{Georgia}?

@ 2023-04-11  5:50             ` Shigeru Kobayashi
       [not found]               ` <bad8035a-d12b-4ec2-be89-788476948a56n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Shigeru Kobayashi @ 2023-04-11  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Dear Bastien DUMONT,

Thank you very much for your reply. I tried as follows and got no changes.
I'm sorry if I misunderstood your suggestion.

*preamble.tex:*
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont{Georgia}
\setjamainfont{BIZ UDMincho Medium}
\babelfont[english]{rm}{Georgia}

*input.md:*
---
documentclass: bxjsarticle
classoption: pandoc
papersize: a4
---

[That person said, "Hello, world!"]{lang=en}

*shell:*
$ pandoc -V lang=ja input.md -o input.pdf --pdf-engine=xelatex -V pandoc -H
preamble.tex

@ 2023-04-11 22:01                 ` BPJ
       [not found]                   ` <CADAJKhC8hggDWF93mdtd2kYhUhjuBGJ7Jk-q1qx7omm+dCsMXw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2023-04-11 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Den tis 11 apr. 2023 07:53Shigeru Kobayashi <mayfair-+k8b35VvZrR3+QwDJ9on6Q@public.gmane.org> skrev:

> Dear Bastien DUMONT,
>
> Thank you very much for your reply. I tried as follows and got no changes.
> I'm sorry if I misunderstood your suggestion.
>
> *preamble.tex:*
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \setmainfont{Georgia}
> \setjamainfont{BIZ UDMincho Medium}
> \babelfont[english]{rm}{Georgia}
>
> *input.md:*
> ---
> documentclass: bxjsarticle
> classoption: pandoc
> papersize: a4
> ---
>
> [That person said, "Hello, world!"]{lang=en}

And if you use Unicode curly quotes inside the span?

If all else fails use Unicode curly quotes throughout and try this in the
preamble:

\newfontfamily{\GeorgiaFont}{Georgia}
\usepackage{newunicodechar}
\newunicodechar{‘}{{\GeorgiaFont ‘}}
\newunicodechar{’}{{\GeorgiaFont ’}}
\newunicodechar{“}{{\GeorgiaFont “}}
\newunicodechar{”}{{\GeorgiaFont ”}}

Inspect the LaTeX output by pandoc and make sure you get curly quotes in
the LaTeX source, otherwise experiment with the +smart/-smart extension on
input and output format till you get curly quotes in the LaTeX source.

@ 2023-04-11 22:26                     ` Shigeru Kobayashi
       [not found]                       ` <94d4f547-ec9b-44bf-9cf0-122d1eea1f02n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Shigeru Kobayashi @ 2023-04-11 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Dear Bastien DUMONT,

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

> And if you use Unicode curly quotes inside the span?

I tried this version, but unfortunately, there was no change in the output
PDF (i.e., the Japanese font is used for the curly quotes).

> If all else fails use Unicode curly quotes throughout and try this in the
preamble:

> \newfontfamily{\GeorgiaFont}{Georgia}
> \usepackage{newunicodechar}
> \newunicodechar{‘}{{\GeorgiaFont ‘}}
> \newunicodechar{’}{{\GeorgiaFont ’}}
> \newunicodechar{“}{{\GeorgiaFont “}}
> \newunicodechar{”}{{\GeorgiaFont ”}}

I tried this as well, but unfortunately, there was no change in the output
PDF.

Initially, I suspected it was something in bxjsarticle that I had set in
documentclass. However, this problem does not occur when I output PDF with
xelatex from an equivalent source, rather than converting from Pandoc to
TeX.

I will investigate this a bit further.

Best,
Shigeru