From: BPJ <melroch-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Tip: comments in Markdown
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 15:53:06 +0200	[thread overview]

I don't know if I or someone else has mentioned this before, but I just
realized that there is (another) simple trick to simulate "markdown
comments" as opposed to HTML comments:

``````markdown
```{=comment}
This won't show up in HTML output!
```

`This neither`{=comment}

<!-- But this will be in HTML -->
``````

Theoretically this might break if there ever is an output format called
"comment" but I guess that is highly unlikely.

It will also probably work with your local language's word(s) for
'comment'; I tried with Swedish "anmärkning" (and the abbreviations
"anmärkn" and "anm") and it seems multi-byte chars in the "format name" is
no problem.

Also if you don't trust Pandoc to automatically reject raw elements with a
bogus format you can use a simple filter:

``````lua
local is_comment = {
  'comment',
  'com',
  'remark',
  'rem',
  'kommentar',
  'komm',
  'anmärkning',
  'anm',
  'athugasemd',
  'aths',
}
-- Turn the list into a set
for i=1,#is_comment do
  is_comment[is_comment[i]] = true
  is_comment[i] = nil
end

local function raw (r)
  if is_comment[r.format] then
    return {}
  else
    return nil
  end
end

return {
  {
    RawBlock = raw,
    RawInline = raw,
  }
}
``````

Notably this filter can be used to remove such "comments" from Markdown
output, while otherwise they will remain when reformatting Markdown source
with Pandoc, which IMO is an advantage over YAML comments.

I hope this is useful for others,

/bpj