* Figure or Tables in form of table of contents
@ 2019-10-07 21:54 Count of San Francisco
       [not found] ` <55c8e76d-a127-46ec-ac3b-5c24de9fb9ce-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Count of San Francisco @ 2019-10-07 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

How can I generate a table of content for figures (a.k.a images) and a
table of content for tables when converting from MD to HTML and PDF? If
this is not possible in pandoc, today, can you please make this an
enhancement request to Pandoc?

* Re: Figure or Tables in form of table of contents
       [not found] ` <55c8e76d-a127-46ec-ac3b-5c24de9fb9ce-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-10-07 23:20   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <yh480kftk42ldx.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-10-07 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Count of San Francisco, pandoc-discuss

For PDF (via latex) you can set the `lof` and `lot` variables to
true, e.g. with -Vlot -Vlof on the command line.

You can also use raw tex \listoffigures, \listoftables.

For HTML there isn't a way.  At this point we don't even
automatically number figures/tables.  It could be achieved
using a filter but I'm not aware of one that exists now.
(Looks like pandoc-crossref handles numbering and references,
but doesn't do a general lof or lot.)

@ 2019-10-08  0:11       ` Count of San Francisco
       [not found]         ` <04b3560c-8ca8-e5a7-9630-e367a4c3c3c6-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Count of San Francisco @ 2019-10-08  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John MacFarlane, pandoc-discuss

Hi,

Since MD to HTML and PDF are my main use cases, perhaps, we can concoct
something like for every <a> or <p> with and id attribute that starts
with "figure-caption-" or "table-caption-" be used by pandoc to create
the list of figures or list of tables. The user, if they chose, can
embed an "<a>" or "<p>" tag in their MD.

For PDF, latex really doesn't cut it for me as it doesn't handle CSS
well (or maybe at all) and doesn't handle tables very well when it is
being converted from MD.

This would be a nice improvement for Pandoc.

Thanks!!

@ 2019-10-08  6:29           ` BPJ
       [not found]             ` <CADAJKhDJDLQiu3eZLPG46DENe57F9CW=FCN=zLG7+zH_OAAR3w-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2019-10-08  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Perhaps a filter which runs after pandoc-crossrefs and relies on the stuff
which pandoc-crossrefs inserts would be reasonably feasible. Unfortunately
I can't look into that at the moment but maybe someone else can.

@ 2019-10-08 16:12               ` BPJ
From: BPJ @ 2019-10-08 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw