* Changing names of some extensions to reflect manual pages or some hierarchy
@ 2022-09-30 11:22 lucabal...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
       [not found] ` <3a26c3b6-3557-4b2b-a8da-21b9c39fa3c9n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: lucabal...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2022-09-30 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

  one of the most difficult things for me in using pandoc is to learn
extensions and remember their names.

I was wondering if it wouldn't be better to rename some of them
differently. In particular it would be useful to reverse their names, for
example:

+ simple_tables -> tables_simple
+ multiline_tables -> tables_multiline
+ grid_tables -> tables_grid
+ pipe_tables -> tables_pipe

so for example, the output of `pandoc --list-extensions=markdown` would be

```
[OMISSIS]
+table_captions
+tables_multiline
+tables_pipe
+tables_simple
[OMISSIS]
```

and so on for many other. I know this may break things in scripts, but it
would simplify the use of extensions a lot in my opinion.

Thanks,
Luca

* Re: Changing names of some extensions to reflect manual pages or some hierarchy
       [not found] ` <3a26c3b6-3557-4b2b-a8da-21b9c39fa3c9n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-09-30 16:25   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <5EDB63AD-A466-4EEB-AEE0-068283F5E679-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-09-30 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Perhaps, if we were starting from scratch. But changing this now would cause too much pain in the ecosystem.

@ 2022-09-30 16:43   ` BPJ
From: BPJ @ 2022-09-30 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Den fre 30 sep. 2022 13:23lucabal...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org <lucabalsanelli-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
skrev:

> Hi,
>
>   one of the most difficult things for me in using pandoc is to learn
> extensions and remember their names.
>
> I was wondering if it wouldn't be better to rename some of them
> differently. In particular it would be useful to reverse their names, for
> example:
>
> + simple_tables -> tables_simple
> + multiline_tables -> tables_multiline
> + grid_tables -> tables_grid
> + pipe_tables -> tables_pipe
>
> so for example, the output of `pandoc --list-extensions=markdown` would be

`pandoc --list-extensions=markdown | grep tables`

@ 2022-09-30 19:26       ` Luca Balsanelli
From: Luca Balsanelli @ 2022-09-30 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw