From: BPJ <bpj-J3H7GcXPSITLoDKTGw+V6w@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Modifying metadata elements with Lua filter
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 18:35:00 +0200	[thread overview]

It is better to not hard code the number of authors:

``````lua
function Meta (meta)
  if 'docx' == FORMAT then
    if 'List' ~= pandoc.utils.type(meta.author) then
      -- hopefully Inlines
      return nil
    elseif 1 == #meta.author then -- only one
      meta.author = meta.author[1]
    else -- more than one
      -- Define once, use many times
      local sep = pandoc.Inlines(", ") -- DWIM
      -- Initialize to an empty list and use `:extend` to populate
      local authors = pandoc.Inlines({ })
      -- Loop through any number of authors
      for i, author in ipairs(meta.author) do
        if 1 == i then -- no comma for the first
          authors:extend(author)
        else -- append ", A. U. Thor"
          authors:extend(sep .. author)
        end