* Section and heading id in MediaWiki output
@ 2022-10-17 15:04 BPJ
       [not found] ` <CADAJKhAJARL1rpi2k-j-1jZLTGoEFnmhfybH9-F6W-_SaYrXNQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2022-10-17 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

When converting to mediawiki MW headings are prepended with a span
`<span id="HEADING-ID"></span>`, evidently to provide an anchor to
pandoc's original/automatic id so that internal links will still work.
However
if there is a `<section>` element[^1] I frequently end up with an identical
id
tag on the div resulting from the section element and the automatically
inserted span element, which seems like a bug to me:

``````html
<section id="head-2" class="level2">
<h2>Head 2</h2>
<section id="head-3" class="level3">
<h3>Head 3</h3>
<ol type="1">
</ol>
<ol type="i">
<li>Li i</li>
<li>Li ii</li>
</ol>
</section>
</section>
``````

``````mediawiki

== Head 2 ==

=== Head 3 ===

<ol style="list-style-type: decimal;">

Text

<ol style="list-style-type: lower-roman;">
<li>Li i</li>

``````

It seems that the only fix currently is to go through the MW source after
conversion and manually remove any offending spans.

I wish the mediawiki writer were smart enough to not insert the span above
the
heading if its id would be identical to that of a parent section div. Would
that
be possible, and is this enough of a bug to submit an issue?

In the actual use case I modify the HTML input with an HTML editing
script/library before conversion to mediawiki, and as a part of that I add
attributes to the section elements which I want to be there on the div in
the MW output, so removin

[^1]: In my case inserted by pandoc into the HTML now used as source at an
earlier run.

* Re: Section and heading id in MediaWiki output
       [not found] ` <CADAJKhAJARL1rpi2k-j-1jZLTGoEFnmhfybH9-F6W-_SaYrXNQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-10-17 15:56   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <926E2AED-D785-4763-8368-A35EAB35B6FC-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-10-17 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Seems like a bug to me. Can you open an issue at our GitHub tracker?
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues

@ 2022-10-17 18:23       ` BPJ
From: BPJ @ 2022-10-17 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss