* Pandoc 3.1.2 does not expand file names correctly
@ 2023-07-18 22:49 H
       [not found] ` <2b0984b1-a157-eb8a-0e1e-8f10c4d8473e-FcZObrvlYduBUy7/sJONFg@public.gmane.org>
From: H @ 2023-07-18 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Running 3.1.2 on CentOS7 and found that the CLI does not expand file names correctly. It fails to expand file names containing 'ä' - possibly others as well that I have not tested.

Is this a known bug?

* Re: Pandoc 3.1.2 does not expand file names correctly
       [not found] ` <2b0984b1-a157-eb8a-0e1e-8f10c4d8473e-FcZObrvlYduBUy7/sJONFg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-07-18 23:22   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <63A5017C-517E-4202-8360-23F1C06B30BF-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-07-18 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm not sure what you mean by "expand file names."
Are you talking about tab-completion?  That is not done by pandoc but by the shell.

@ 2023-07-19  2:06       ` H
       [not found]         ` <FAC4F510-40C1-46BC-9C4B-0DA764A0062D-FcZObrvlYduBUy7/sJONFg@public.gmane.org>
From: H @ 2023-07-19  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On July 18, 2023 7:22:40 PM EDT, John MacFarlane <fiddlosopher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>I'm not sure what you mean by "expand file names."
>Are you talking about tab-completion?  That is not done by pandoc but
>by the shell.
>
>> On Jul 18, 2023, at 3:49 PM, H <agents-FcZObrvlYduBUy7/sJONFg@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>> Running 3.1.2 on CentOS7 and found that the CLI does not expand file
>names correctly. It fails to expand file names containing 'ä' -
>possibly others as well that I have not tested.
>>
>> Is this a known bug?
>>
>> --
>https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/2b0984b1-a157-eb8a-0e1e-8f10c4d8473e%40meddatainc.com.

Yes, you are correct, tab-completion. It works correctly outside pandoc.

@ 2023-07-19  2:08           ` H
       [not found]             ` <61856054-B9CF-4BA3-B541-803C0DF78D00-FcZObrvlYduBUy7/sJONFg@public.gmane.org>
From: H @ 2023-07-19  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On July 18, 2023 10:06:41 PM EDT, H <agents-FcZObrvlYduBUy7/sJONFg@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>On July 18, 2023 7:22:40 PM EDT, John MacFarlane
><fiddlosopher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>I'm not sure what you mean by "expand file names."
>>Are you talking about tab-completion?  That is not done by pandoc but
>>by the shell.
>>
>>> On Jul 18, 2023, at 3:49 PM, H <agents-FcZObrvlYduBUy7/sJONFg@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Running 3.1.2 on CentOS7 and found that the CLI does not expand file
>>names correctly. It fails to expand file names containing 'ä' -
>>possibly others as well that I have not tested.
>>>
>>> Is this a known bug?
>>>
>>> --
>>https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/2b0984b1-a157-eb8a-0e1e-8f10c4d8473e%40meddatainc.com.
>
>Yes, you are correct, tab-completion. It works correctly outside
>pandoc.

Let me double-check tomorrow to make sure.

@ 2023-07-19 14:27               ` jcr
From: jcr @ 2023-07-19 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I don't know if this is related, but I've had some trouble competing
filenames in `zsh` on macOS using `bashcompinit` and `pandoc
--bash-completion`. When filenames contain spaces, I can tab-complete them
if the filename is quoted, but not if the spaces are escaped with
backslashes. Perhaps whatever pandoc does to enable filename completion is
not general enough. However, I don't know shell programming well enough to
suggest what  might be wrong or how to fix it.

@ 2023-07-26  0:02               ` H
       [not found]                 ` <62484f9c-7ab2-f8f4-f1d6-31bd8fc4bde8-FcZObrvlYduBUy7/sJONFg@public.gmane.org>
From: H @ 2023-07-26  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 07/18/2023 10:08 PM, H wrote:
> On July 18, 2023 10:06:41 PM EDT, H <agents-FcZObrvlYduBUy7/sJONFg@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On July 18, 2023 7:22:40 PM EDT, John MacFarlane
>> <fiddlosopher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>> I'm not sure what you mean by "expand file names."
>>> Are you talking about tab-completion?  That is not done by pandoc but
>>> by the shell.

>>> names correctly. It fails to expand file names containing 'ä' -
>>> possibly others as well that I have not tested.

>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/2b0984b1-a157-eb8a-0e1e-8f10c4d8473e%40meddatainc.com.
>> Yes, you are correct, tab-completion. It works correctly outside
>> pandoc.
> Let me double-check tomorrow to make sure.

I had reason to use pandoc again today and could verify that when a filename contains 'ä' tab-completion works when used /ahead/ of this character but not when used /after/ the character /up until '_' occurs in the filename/.

ls -al works correctly even when pandoc fails above.

Can anyone else confirm problems with tab-completion?

@ 2023-07-26 18:02                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                     ` <3846738C-261F-40DC-9D74-E697852A89DB-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-07-26 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Autocompletion works for me both before and after ä.
What does "echo $LANG" say on your system?

@ 2023-07-27 10:36                   ` BPJ
From: BPJ @ 2023-07-27 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

The safest practice is in any case not to use non-ASCII characters (nor
spaces) in file names, since above-ASCII characters are not portable
between encodings, and different operating systems may use different
encodings. If you are interested I have a Perl script which does its best
to customizably 'transliterate' filenames between other encodings (UTF-8 by
default) and ASCII, and rename files, adding a unique number in case of
conflicts in the resulting names. It can also create or add to a YAML file
mapping between transliterated names and original names, and has a mode for
'reverting' names. It does by default back up files under their original
files into a directory of your choice (by default 'renamed-TIMESTAMP' in
the current directory.)

/bpj

@ 2023-07-27 15:57                       ` H
       [not found]                         ` <4ce9e402-9591-9b4c-19b7-be614af62b00-FcZObrvlYduBUy7/sJONFg@public.gmane.org>
From: H @ 2023-07-27 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

@ 2023-07-27 16:34                           ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2023-07-27 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I have the same LANG, and I can expand a file with ä when invoking pandoc (both before and after the character). You should really check how tab completion works in your shell (possibly from the documentation of your distribution), or search on the web mentionning your shell instead of pandoc in your query.

@ 2023-07-27 16:48                             ` 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]                               ` <CAEe_xxiDLUsDBP=1S6jrY4Tb9AAXZTQWPdcJyCa12mXF3DiQAg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss @ 2023-07-27 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Is it possible that the pandoc shell completion might be affecting this
behaviour?

This is easy to check: just try some other command, e.g., cat, and see
whether it behaves the same as pandoc.

@ 2023-07-27 17:15                                 ` H
       [not found]                                   ` <e9dc67e5-1614-d5e4-ca90-0509c9d02397-FcZObrvlYduBUy7/sJONFg@public.gmane.org>
From: H @ 2023-07-27 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 07/27/2023 12:48 PM, 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss wrote:
> Is it possible that the pandoc shell completion might be affecting this behaviour?
>
> This is easy to check: just try some other command, e.g., cat, and see whether it behaves the same as pandoc.
>
> On Thu, 27 Jul 2023 at 17:35, Bastien DUMONT <bastien.dumont-VwIFZPTo/vqsTnJN9+BGXg@public.gmane.org <mailto:bastien.dumont-VwIFZPTo/vqsTnJN9+BGXg@public.gmane.org>> wrote:
>
>     I have the same LANG, and I can expand a file with ä when invoking pandoc (both before and after the character). You should really check how tab completion works in your shell (possibly from the documentation of your distribution), or search on the web mentionning your shell instead of pandoc in your query.
>
>     Le Thursday 27 July 2023 à 11:57:48AM, H a écrit :
>     > On 07/26/2023 02:02 PM, John MacFarlane wrote:
>     > > Autocompletion works for me both before and after ä.
>     > > What does "echo $LANG" say on your system?
>     > >
>     > >> I had reason to use pandoc again today and could verify that when a filename contains 'ä' tab-completion works when used /ahead/ of this character but not when used /after/ the character /up until '_' occurs in the filename/.
>     > >>
>     > >> ls -al works correctly even when pandoc fails above.
>     > >>
>     > >> Can anyone else confirm problems with tab-completion?
>     > >>
>     > >> --
>     > >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group.
>     > >> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/62484f9c-7ab2-f8f4-f1d6-31bd8fc4bde8%40meddatainc.com.
>     >
>     > en_US.utf8
>     >
>     > --
>     > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group.
>     > To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/4ce9e402-9591-9b4c-19b7-be614af62b00%40meddatainc.com.
>
>     --
>
> --

I had done that - in my post I wrote "ls -al works correctly even when pandoc fails above." This was done in the same terminal window.

@ 2023-07-27 18:39                                     ` 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]                                       ` <CAEe_xxgs5B7h8W8tOcHvvA=oT=mBtFKSxGhxsXfJRAHtKJ2VXw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss @ 2023-07-27 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Oops. Sorry! The OP should try this too.

@ 2023-07-27 19:25                                         ` H
From: H @ 2023-07-27 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On July 27, 2023 2:39:14 PM EDT, 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>Oops. Sorry! The OP should try this too.
>
>On Thu, 27 Jul 2023, 18:15 H, <agents-FcZObrvlYduBUy7/sJONFg@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> On 07/27/2023 12:48 PM, 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible that the pandoc shell completion might be affecting
>this
>> behaviour?
>>
>> This is easy to check: just try some other command, e.g., cat, and
>see
>> whether it behaves the same as pandoc.
>>
>> On Thu, 27 Jul 2023 at 17:35, Bastien DUMONT
><bastien.dumont-VwIFZPTo/vqsTnJN9+BGXg@public.gmane.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I have the same LANG, and I can expand a file with ä when invoking
>pandoc
>>> (both before and after the character). You should really check how
>tab
>>> completion works in your shell (possibly from the documentation of
>your
>>> distribution), or search on the web mentionning your shell instead
>of
>>> pandoc in your query.

>when a
>>> filename contains 'ä' tab-completion works when used /ahead/ of this
>>> character but not when used /after/ the character /up until '_'
>occurs in
>>> the filename/.

>https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/62484f9c-7ab2-f8f4-f1d6-31bd8fc4bde8%40meddatainc.com
>>> .

>https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/4ce9e402-9591-9b4c-19b7-be614af62b00%40meddatainc.com
>>> .
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/ZMKcr46Tuk4uWZCB%40localhost
>>> .
>>>
>> --
>>
>https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CAEe_xxiDLUsDBP%3D1S6jrY4Tb9AAXZTQWPdcJyCa12mXF3DiQAg%40mail.gmail.com
>>
><https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CAEe_xxiDLUsDBP%3D1S6jrY4Tb9AAXZTQWPdcJyCa12mXF3DiQAg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .
>>
>> I had done that - in my post I wrote "ls -al works correctly even
>when
>> pandoc fails above." This was done in the same terminal window.
>>
>> --
>>
>https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/e9dc67e5-1614-d5e4-ca90-0509c9d02397%40meddatainc.com
>>
><https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/e9dc67e5-1614-d5e4-ca90-0509c9d02397%40meddatainc.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .