From: BPJ <melroch-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Detectiing footnotes in Lua scripts
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 21:50:00 +0100	[thread overview]

One way is to make several several passes. In the first pass you wrap all
Cite elements in Span elements with a class which does not otherwise occur.
In the second pass you visit Note elements and use `walk_block` to again
unwrap those Span elements inside footnotes. In the third pass you use
Inlines to find those Span elements elsewhere, unwrap them and adjust
punctuation around the Cite.

You make a multi-pass filter script by returning an array table with
several filter map tables from the script.

``````lua
local function wrap_cite (cite)
  return pandoc.Span({cite}, {class = 'is-cite'})
end

local function unwrap_cite (span)
  if span.classes:includes('is-cite') then
    return span.content[1]
  return nil
end

local unwrap_filter = { Span = unwrap_cite }

local function unwrap_in_notes (note)
  local old_blocks = pandoc.Div(note.content)
  local new_blocks = pandoc.walk_block(old_blocks, unwrap_filter)
  return pandoc.Note(new_blocks.content)
end

end

local function adjust_punct (inlines)