* Multicol package  starred command is not parsed
@ 2018-12-13  6:25 rama prakasha
       [not found] ` <7bd1e5ae-4201-4244-86d7-9e0382fc980c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: rama prakasha @ 2018-12-13  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

In the below markdown example the starred version of latex command

\begin{multicols*}{2}

is *not parsed,* but

\begin{multicols}{2}

is parsed. I need a stared version to retain line breaks (ie. two spaces at
the end of line). How to achieve this?

---
header-includes:
    - \usepackage{multicol}
---

A periodic numeral zooms.
Each practised consent slices the road guard.
A lined territory refreshes a revenue.
How can the spokesman purge?

\begin{multicols*}{2}

A periodic numeral zooms.
Each practised consent slices the road guard.
A lined territory refreshes a revenue.
How can the spokesman purge?

A periodic numeral zooms.
Each practised consent slices the road guard.
A lined territory refreshes a revenue.
How can the spokesman purge?

\end{multicols}

\begin{multicols}{2}

A periodic numeral zooms.
Each practised consent slices the road guard.
A lined territory refreshes a revenue.
How can the spokesman purge?

A periodic numeral zooms.
Each practised consent slices the road guard.
A lined territory refreshes a revenue.
How can the spokesman purge?

\end{multicols}

* Re: Multicol package starred command is not parsed
       [not found] ` <7bd1e5ae-4201-4244-86d7-9e0382fc980c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-12-13  7:07   ` BPJ
       [not found]     ` <CADAJKhCRzDdmitXQpmBLXVHXBZfyyob7qmddFe6_dryhpOVZHA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2018-12-13  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You have to hide to put the `\begin…` and `\end…` inside raw LaTeX blocks.
This has the additional advantage that you can use Markdown inside the
environment.

``````pandoc-markdown
```{=latex}
\begin{multicols*}{2}}
```

Text *with Markdown* here!

```{=latex}
\end{multicols}
```
``````

If your version of Pandoc is too old for this you can "hide" the
problematic LaTeX from Pandoc inside the argument of a dummy command, which
has the same effect:

``````pandoc-markdown
\newcommand\dummy[1]{#1}

\dummy{\begin{multicols*}{2}}
``````

Of course you can call the dummy command anything. I used to call it
`\nopandoc` since that is unlikely to clash with anything already existing
and is explanatory.

@ 2018-12-13  7:10       ` BPJ
       [not found]         ` <CADAJKhAEO48N5RtdnkejiuijTkf++6k_d1NMThrpzsXo1tZqfw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2018-12-13  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You have to hide the `\begin…` and `\end…` by putting them inside raw LaTeX

@ 2018-12-13 15:05           ` rama prakasha
       [not found]             ` <5e4adebb-1c0a-44c0-829e-eb5282a6ff7a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: rama prakasha @ 2018-12-13 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thank you for quick reply. I emulated the code you showed me. But the
multicol content is now showing up in verbatim environment. What I am doing
wrong? Posting markdown content below.

---
header-includes:
    - \usepackage{multicol}