* Invisible Markdown code that becomes functioning LaTeX code?
@ 2020-10-05 17:43 Joseph Zitt
       [not found] ` <bd8af183-da78-4596-8a75-56d25828b757n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Zitt @ 2020-10-05 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi. I'm pretty new to Pandoc, so just figuring things out. (It's weird to
realize that I made my living in much of the 90s hacking together scripts
to convert markup languages, and now this one tool appears to do it all.)

I'm writing a newsletter in Markdown and would also like to generate a
more-printable PDF version. I have most of it working, but have hit one
problem:

There are specific places where I know that I would like to have a
\columnbreak (within a multicol environment) in the LaTeX-generated PDF. Is
there a straightforward way to put something in the Markdown that, while
not visible in the Markdown-generated HTML, becomes the \columnbreak in the
LaTeX?

* Re: Invisible Markdown code that becomes functioning LaTeX code?
       [not found] ` <bd8af183-da78-4596-8a75-56d25828b757n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-10-05 17:52   ` BPJ
       [not found]     ` <CADAJKhCTjP-_qJHpQzxOxACP2zCp7tbMF-pRa5SaL=exsmp5Pw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2020-10-05 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

You can just put \columnbreak wherever you like. Pandoc's Markdown
recognises both raw HTML and raw LaTeX and will ignore raw LaTeX when
generating HTML and vice versa.

/bpj

--
Better --help|less than helpless

@ 2020-10-06  7:48       ` Joseph Zitt
       [not found]         ` <bbb6ad3c-0858-44d0-aff9-98c63f1c58f8n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Zitt @ 2020-10-06  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I understand from the newsletter developer that it uses python-markdown,
which doesn't ignore LaTeX in it. There are ways to put comments in it, in
a line something like

[comment] <> This is a comment

preceded by a blank line, but Pandoc (as appropriately designed) strips
them out entirely without interpreting anything,

@ 2020-10-06 12:31           ` BPJ
       [not found]             ` <CADAJKhB+KEgLgLxEAYYbi3RhCDQZK5RzQY=YC=Whp9h3_tDCAg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2020-10-06 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

If you are rendering your markdown with python-markdown then you must of
course escape inline LaTeX as python-markdown does, if it offers a way, and
what Pandoc does becomes irrelevant. If your intention is, as I suspect, to
render your markdown as HTML with python-markdown and as LaTeX with Pandoc
you can use a Pandoc filter to strip inline LaTeX from your markdown before
passing the markdown to python-markdown. Such a filter would be very simple:

function RawInline (raw)
  if raw.format:match('tex$') then
    return {} -- delete it!
  else
    return nil -- keep it!
  end
end
RawBlock = RawInline

Save the above in a file 'strip-tex.lua' and run this on the command line
with

pandoc -L strip-tex.lua -w markdown -o text-py.md text.md

and then pass the resulting file 'text-py.md' to python-markdown.

If there are further differences between Python Markdown and Pandoc
Markdown just describe them. They can probably be solved with some filter
etc. The worst thing that may happen is that you will have to write some
things duplicated and marked as Pandoc/Python markup respectively and a
filter/extra run of Pandoc to sort them out.

--

@ 2020-10-06 12:50               ` Joseph Zitt
       [not found]                 ` <0911d10b-4e31-4d6b-b8e7-67e5ac567ac6n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Zitt @ 2020-10-06 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks. I may not have been clear about the workflow, though. The
interpreter that turns the Python-Markdown into HTML isn't Pandoc and isn't
under my control. It's done by the newsletter site as part of sending it
out. (BTW, I'm using buttondown.email, which I like, and which is just
right for my purposes.) I then take the markdown from there, save it onto
my Mac, and run Pandoc to convert it to LaTeX. I realized earlier today
that I could probably just pipe the generated LaTeX through a smaill,
simple Perl script before converting it with pdflatex. But doing it within
Pandoc would be somewhat cleaner (I've already put together a simple
Template that helps a lot in getting it to look like I want), and something
I'd like to learn. I looked at the Lua documentation for the first time
today and still have to wrap my mind around some of the concepts.

@ 2020-10-06 15:14                   ` BPJ
From: BPJ @ 2020-10-06 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss