* general attributes and yaml metadata block
@ 2020-08-18 12:07 Christian Müller
       [not found] ` <a0460a16-04eb-4ff8-8159-4a22138967b7o-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Christian Müller @ 2020-08-18 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I would like to use attributes like the following

*something*{.timing}

which should render to

<em class="timing">something</em> or alternatively <span

According to documentation I need the attributes extension. When I do --from=markdown+attributes
I get

The extension attributes is not supported for markdown

When I try commonmark --from=commonmark+attributes instead it does work.
However, I also need the Yaml meta data block. --from=commonmark+attributes+yaml_metadata_block
yields

The extension yaml_metadata_block is not supported for commonmark

Am I doing something wrong? I'd rather stay with markdown (it's an older
document)

(using the official pandoc build for windows)

pandoc.exe 2.10.1
Compiled with pandoc-types 1.21, texmath 0.12.0.2, skylighting 0.8.5

* Re: general attributes and yaml metadata block
       [not found] ` <a0460a16-04eb-4ff8-8159-4a22138967b7o-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-08-21 20:51   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2h7svafjy.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-08-21 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Müller, pandoc-discuss

You're doing it right -- but currently no format supports
both yaml metadata and attributes.

When we add suppport for yaml metadata blocks to commonmark,
you'll be able to use that.

@ 2020-08-22  8:34       ` ch_...-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org
       [not found]         ` <b88f4db2-e711-41b5-8223-87f90447753fn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: ch_...-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org @ 2020-08-22  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

why aren't attributes supported in "normal" markdown?

@ 2020-08-22 10:41           ` mb21
From: mb21 @ 2020-08-22 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

header_attributes, link_attributes and a few more (div, span etc) are
supported on normal markdown. but currently not on the emphasis element.

@ 2020-08-22 16:08           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <m24kou8xzd.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-08-22 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ch_...@web.de, pandoc-discuss

"ch_...-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org" <ch_819-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org> writes:

> why aren't attributes supported in "normal" markdown?

Eventually they will be, when I've added enough extensions
to the commonmark parser that it can replace the current
markdown parser.

@ 2020-08-22 16:52               ` BPJ
       [not found]                 ` <CADAJKhAofn83Rb6P1k7eqoYEwXrKsyH7e0mJ+AJFKVe8XDnehw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2020-08-22 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss; +Cc: ch_...-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org

Den lör 22 aug. 2020 18:09John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> skrev:

> "ch_...-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org" <ch_819-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > why aren't attributes supported in "normal" markdown?
>
> Eventually they will be, when I've added enough extensions
> to the commonmark parser that it can replace the current
> markdown parser.

Does that mean that you will drop some extensions? I hope not. Probably
every extension is essential to someone's workflow.

@ 2020-08-22 18:07                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                     ` <m2v9ha7dwo.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-08-22 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BPJ, pandoc-discuss; +Cc: ch_...@web.de

BPJ <melroch-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

>> Eventually they will be, when I've added enough extensions
>> to the commonmark parser that it can replace the current
>> markdown parser.
>>

> Does that mean that you will drop some extensions? I hope not. Probably
> every extension is essential to someone's workflow.

The idea would be to support most of them.  There may be a few
uncommonly used ones that we'd consider dropping (in particular,
extensions that are incompatible with the core commonmark spec).
In any case, we'd keep the legacy parser available as an option
for a while, to ease the transition.

@ 2020-08-24  9:59                       ` BPJ
       [not found]                         ` <CADAJKhA_NN8XUq8GXUJn4ObasyRQrw5inXgtatWvwRPOcSmzoQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2020-08-24  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: pandoc-discuss

Den lör 22 aug. 2020 20:07John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> skrev:

> BPJ <melroch-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> >> Eventually they will be, when I've added enough extensions
> >> to the commonmark parser that it can replace the current
> >> markdown parser.
> >>

> > Does that mean that you will drop some extensions? I hope not. Probably
> > every extension is essential to someone's workflow.
>
> The idea would be to support most of them.  There may be a few
> uncommonly used ones that we'd consider dropping (in particular,
> extensions that are incompatible with the core commonmark spec).
> In any case, we'd keep the legacy parser available as an option
> for a while, to ease the transition.

Do you have any particular ones in mind. I guess that at the moment I'm
most afraid of losing `four_space_rule` since it is so to speak a
compatibility extension. OTOH maybe if I consistently use steps of 4 in my
source (which I already do, e.g. 3 spaces after a list bullet) I won't
notice much difference.

@ 2020-08-24 16:56                           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                             ` <m2o8n0x9s8.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-08-24 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BPJ; +Cc: pandoc-discuss

> Do you have any particular ones in mind. I guess that at the moment I'm
> most afraid of losing `four_space_rule` since it is so to speak a
> compatibility extension. OTOH maybe if I consistently use steps of 4 in my
> source (which I already do, e.g. 3 spaces after a list bullet) I won't
> notice much difference.

I think that's right, except in unusual cases (e.g., list numbers
greater than two digits).

999. hello
    four-space rule says that content starts here

999. hello
     commonmark says it starts here.

@ 2020-08-24 17:50                               ` BPJ
From: BPJ @ 2020-08-24 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)