* Inclusivity for novice/new contributors
@ 2019-05-14 19:14 Kenneth Wayne Hall III
       [not found] ` <52c65e4a-e909-4531-a71e-775fb722c261-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Kenneth Wayne Hall III @ 2019-05-14 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi everyone!

Oregon State University's Free/Open Source Software class has us evaluate
real-world open-source projects for inclusivity using a cognitive
walk-through technique.
I'm opening this discussion post to facilitate conversation on inclusivity
within the Pandoc project.  Our cognitive walk-through found that the
installer page (https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/blob/2.7.2/INSTALL.md) had
jargon and assumed advanced knowledge that was not inclusive of the persona
which was the subject of our evaluation.  See, for example, instructions on
installing using Chocolatey, Homebrew that are limited to "install pandoc
using Chocolatey/Homebrew."  There are links provided to these respective
tools, but our walk-through found that it is likely that a new person
looking to get involved would be more likely to be discouraged rather than
dive into finding out more about Chocolatey/Homebrew.  The LaTex setup
instructions could also be a bit more detailed.

Thank you for reading, and look forward to hearing what you all have to say
about possible ways to improve the project's accessibility!

* Re: Inclusivity for novice/new contributors
       [not found] ` <52c65e4a-e909-4531-a71e-775fb722c261-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-05-14 19:46   ` Brandon Keith Biggs
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Brandon Keith Biggs @ 2019-05-14 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hello,
Well, the best thing would be to have a server that runs pandoc and a UI
where you can upload and or edit documents in the browser.
Second would be a Markdown and bibtex UI that is like a markdown rich text
editor or text editor that exports and imports all pandoc files.
As it currently stands, Pandoc is commandline only and only accessible to
those who know what a commandline is.
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs <http://brandonkeithbiggs.com/>

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 12:14 PM Kenneth Wayne Hall III <
hallkenn-e/prDBdGCFNcusGGlJDZ6w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> Oregon State University's Free/Open Source Software class has us evaluate
> real-world open-source projects for inclusivity using a cognitive
> walk-through technique.
> I'm opening this discussion post to facilitate conversation on inclusivity
> within the Pandoc project.  Our cognitive walk-through found that the
> installer page (https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/blob/2.7.2/INSTALL.md) had
> jargon and assumed advanced knowledge that was not inclusive of the persona
> which was the subject of our evaluation.  See, for example, instructions on
> installing using Chocolatey, Homebrew that are limited to "install pandoc
> using Chocolatey/Homebrew."  There are links provided to these respective
> tools, but our walk-through found that it is likely that a new person
> looking to get involved would be more likely to be discouraged rather than
> dive into finding out more about Chocolatey/Homebrew.  The LaTex setup
> instructions could also be a bit more detailed.
>
> Thank you for reading, and look forward to hearing what you all have to
> say about possible ways to improve the project's accessibility!
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/52c65e4a-e909-4531-a71e-775fb722c261%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/52c65e4a-e909-4531-a71e-775fb722c261%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

* Re: Inclusivity for novice/new contributors
       [not found] ` <52c65e4a-e909-4531-a71e-775fb722c261-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-05-14 20:11   ` John MacFarlane
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-05-14 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenneth Wayne Hall III, pandoc-discuss

I would think that the most relevant place to look
would be our "Getting started page"

https://pandoc.org/getting-started.html

This tries to be pretty basic.

The Installing pandoc page,

https://pandoc.org/installing.html

has a gigantic button to download an installer
for your platform.  True, if you read down, you hear
about chocolatey.  That is highly relevant information
for some users who use chocolatey.  But you can
ignore it if you don't; it's text you get to only if
you read on after the big install button and "For
alternative ways to install pandoc, see below..."

@ 2019-05-14 20:52   ` dmccunney
       [not found]     ` <CAF4AJDyk+ECnz1AJ7SZ4brBaWR2H8VbkQzHbuuZnLu8R+2BXvg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: dmccunney @ 2019-05-14 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 3:14 PM Kenneth Wayne Hall III
<hallkenn-e/prDBdGCFNcusGGlJDZ6w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I'm opening this discussion post to facilitate conversation on inclusivity within the Pandoc project.  Our cognitive walk-through found that the installer page (https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/blob/2.7.2/INSTALL.md) had jargon and assumed advanced knowledge that was not inclusive of the persona which was the subject of our evaluation.

What persona *is* the subject of your evaluation?  I think of Pandoc
as an advanced tool, and people with call to use it in the first place
can reasonably be expected to possess various background knowledge.

What sort of background and experience are you assuming for the
hypothetical user who is the subject of your investigation?

As John mentioned, Pandoc provides installers for various platforms,
and does not *require* Chocolatey/Homebrew to install.  Those
references are provided for folks who already *use* those tools and
may prefer to use them instead of the provided installers to get
Pandoc on their systems.
______
Dennis

@ 2019-05-15  8:44       ` BPJ
From: BPJ @ 2019-05-15  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

What about a pair of intermediate headings "'Easy installation' -> 'The
easiest way to install Pandoc is to download an appropriate installer for
your operating system:' -> List with links to installers for Windows, Mac,
Linux in that order", "'Advanced installation' -> everything else", so that
the easier path for a newbie is more prominently visible as such? That
ought to make most real or imagined person(a)s happy, right?

In my role as a documentation writer/translator for systems which usually
are aimed at non-technical users but with more or less optional advanced
features this is what we do all the time. We call that first section the
"Dummies section" between ourselves (no offense intended, since a big part
of our job is to make sure that all users find the information appropriate
for their level; there is often a "Nerd section" too!) Usually the most
advanced stuff is put in a box with an icon and/or heading meaning "For
advanced/technical users" to alert the "ordinary" user that they should
ignore/skip it rather than try and fail to follow/make sense of it and be
scared off.

Den tis 14 maj 2019 22:53dmccunney <dennis.mccunney-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> skrev:

> On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 3:14 PM Kenneth Wayne Hall III
> <hallkenn-e/prDBdGCFNcusGGlJDZ6w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > I'm opening this discussion post to facilitate conversation on
> inclusivity within the Pandoc project.  Our cognitive walk-through found
> that the installer page (
> https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/blob/2.7.2/INSTALL.md) had jargon and
> assumed advanced knowledge that was not inclusive of the persona which was
> the subject of our evaluation.
>
> What persona *is* the subject of your evaluation?  I think of Pandoc
> as an advanced tool, and people with call to use it in the first place
> can reasonably be expected to possess various background knowledge.
>
> What sort of background and experience are you assuming for the
> hypothetical user who is the subject of your investigation?
>
> As John mentioned, Pandoc provides installers for various platforms,
> and does not *require* Chocolatey/Homebrew to install.  Those
> references are provided for folks who already *use* those tools and
> may prefer to use them instead of the provided installers to get
> Pandoc on their systems.
> ______
> Dennis
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CAF4AJDyk%2BECnz1AJ7SZ4brBaWR2H8VbkQzHbuuZnLu8R%2B2BXvg%40mail.gmail.com
> .

* Inclusivity for novice/new contributors
       [not found] ` <52c65e4a-e909-4531-a71e-775fb722c261-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-05-22  0:21   ` Kolen Cheung
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2019-05-22  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I grew you guys started the evaluation from the wrong place. Probably start from pandoc.org rather than GitHub.com/jgm/pandoc. I wonder if anything can make this more explicit.

But pandoc is a very complicated beast. For what it is capable, it is almost impossible for anyone to learn it quick and be able to contribute.

[IMO you guys put on an “inclusivity” glass learnt from your class and judged wrong. It is better to evaluate something when put into perspective (which should be true for anything from social science and I guess your class is from?)]

* Re: Inclusivity for novice/new contributors
       [not found] ` <52c65e4a-e909-4531-a71e-775fb722c261-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-05-22 16:48   ` EBkysko
From: EBkysko @ 2019-05-22 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)