* FIguring out pandoc AST and types
@ 2021-09-09  8:45 Harsh Donga
       [not found] ` <4bd5ecbc-bd1d-442a-9558-6724174f77fcn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Harsh Donga @ 2021-09-09  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Okay, being new to Haskell some of the questions might seem vague and some
straightforward to you, I apologize in advance for that.

1. How can I create pandoc type variables, where exactly do I look if I
want to make a table object purely using Haskell then convert it to JSON
AST/other formats
2. How can I convert my own JSON (storing elements analogous to HTML) to
pandoc AST
3. is there any way possible to make pandoc type variables using other
languages like JS, Python...

Few more questions as follow-ups to these, your help is appreciated a lot!

* Re: FIguring out pandoc AST and types
       [not found] ` <4bd5ecbc-bd1d-442a-9558-6724174f77fcn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-09-09 17:20   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m24kat3btu.fsf-jF64zX8BO0+FqBokazbCQ6OPv3vYUT2dxr7GGTnW70NeoWH0uzbU5w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-09-09 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harsh Donga, pandoc-discuss

Harsh Donga <harsh-7+aFW328pE6p1wGUEcWPqti2O/JbrIOy@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Okay, being new to Haskell some of the questions might seem vague and some
> straightforward to you, I apologize in advance for that.
>
> 1. How can I create pandoc type variables, where exactly do I look if I
> want to make a table object purely using Haskell then convert it to JSON
> AST/other formats

You want to look at

https://hackage.haskell.org/package/pandoc-types-1.22/docs/Text-Pandoc-Builder.html

> 2. How can I convert my own JSON (storing elements analogous to HTML) to
> pandoc AST

If it's a custom JSON format, then you'll need to parse it to a
pandoc AST using a Haskell JSON parsing library (like aeson).
Alternatively, you could convert your JSON format to the JSON
serialization pandoc uses (which you can inspect using
pandoc -t json).

> 3. is there any way possible to make pandoc type variables using other
> languages like JS, Python...

As noted above, you can construct a JSON document that represents
the pandoc AST; pandoc can then read this (pandoc -f json).

To understand pandoc's JSON serialization, the best thing to use
is pandoc itself.

pandoc -t native

will give you a look at the pandoc AST

pandoc -f native -t json

will show you how pandoc represents AST elements in JSON.

@ 2021-09-14 12:28       ` Harsh Donga
From: Harsh Donga @ 2021-09-14 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thank you for your response,

It is getting really hard for me to parse and build pandoc using pandoc
types, as I am Haskell beginner.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the only way to see the JSON output is
by trying out pandoc? I mean for covering all the pandoc-types, I will have
to put everything in a document then parse using pandoc?
And the figure out by looking at output how actually all types are stored
in JSON?

It would be really helpful if there can be another way around it!

@ 2021-09-14 12:30       ` Harsh Donga
       [not found]         ` <3a59eb3c-352f-49f4-89f8-465aa7e86750n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Harsh Donga @ 2021-09-14 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thank you for your response,

It is getting really hard for me to parse and build pandoc using pandoc
types, as I am Haskell beginner.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the only way to see the JSON output is
by trying out pandoc? I mean for covering all the pandoc-types, I will have
to put everything in a document then parse using pandoc?
And then figure out by looking at output how actually all types are stored

@ 2021-09-14 23:39           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <yh480k35q63exs.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-09-14 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harsh Donga, pandoc-discuss

Harsh Donga <harsh-7+aFW328pE6p1wGUEcWPqti2O/JbrIOy@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Thank you for your response,
>
> It is getting really hard for me to parse and build pandoc using pandoc
> types, as I am Haskell beginner.
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong, but the only way to see the JSON output is
> by trying out pandoc? I mean for covering all the pandoc-types, I will have
> to put everything in a document then parse using pandoc?
> And then figure out by looking at output how actually all types are stored
> in JSON?

There isn't complete documentation of the JSON format we use,
but it's all very regular and can be predicted from the AST given
a few examples. Pandoc can be used to give you those examples.

Or, you can look at the ToJSON and FromJSON instance definitions
in the source code for Text.Pandoc.Definition and figure it out
from that.

However, if what you want to do is to use Haskell to create a
pandoc AST, then you don't need to worry about JSON at all. JSON
is just a serialization format we use for communicating with
non-Haskell programs. For building a document, what you want is
Text.Pandoc.Builder, as I said. The documentation contains an
example to get you started.

@ 2021-09-16 11:52               ` Harsh Donga
       [not found]                 ` <68431aed-736c-425d-8745-14ffdc5468a9n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Harsh Donga @ 2021-09-16 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks for continued support sir,

I had few couple of doubts,

What does Attr
<https://hackage.haskell.org/package/pandoc-types-1.22/docs/Text-Pandoc-Definition.html#t:Attr>
 mean?

And can you explain type Meta
<https://hackage.haskell.org/package/pandoc-types-1.22/docs/Text-Pandoc-Definition.html#t:Meta>?,
it's going a bit over my head

Thanks in advance!

@ 2021-09-16 16:40                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                     ` <m2ilz0lbie.fsf-d8241O7hbXoP5tpWdHSM3tPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-09-16 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harsh Donga, pandoc-discuss

Harsh Donga <harsh-7+aFW328pE6p1wGUEcWPqti2O/JbrIOy@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Thanks for continued support sir,
>
> I had few couple of doubts,
>
> What does Attr
> <https://hackage.haskell.org/package/pandoc-types-1.22/docs/Text-Pandoc-Definition.html#t:Attr>
>  mean?

It's for attributes on elements.
(identifier, clasess, key-value pairs)

> And can you explain type Meta
> <https://hackage.haskell.org/package/pandoc-types-1.22/docs/Text-Pandoc-Definition.html#t:Meta>?,
> it's going a bit over my head

It's a mapping of metadata values.

@ 2021-09-17  4:18                       ` Harsh Donga
       [not found]                         ` <4b3e7960-d144-44e0-9b48-a044db45f885n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Harsh Donga @ 2021-09-17  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Sorry to bother you,

I could read in the documentation that Attr stores (identifier, classes,
key-value pairs)
What do these actually mean? can you share an example?

Thanks in advance!

@ 2021-09-17 19:25                           ` 'Daniel Gnoutcheff' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]                             ` <b467908f-a4ce-35b9-ba30-ef55e9e70958-rbQqYLFhARYurNyw8EiOWEB+6BGkLq7r@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Daniel Gnoutcheff' via pandoc-discuss @ 2021-09-17 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 9/17/21 12:18 AM, Harsh Donga wrote:
> Sorry to bother you,
>
> I could read in the documentation that Attr stores (identifier, classes,
> key-value pairs)
> What do these actually mean? can you share an example?

The AST corresponds closely to Pandoc's Markdown dialect, so a good way
to learn about an AST type is to study the User's Manual sections that
document the corresponding Markdown features.  You may have noticed that
the Attr type is used by the Header, CodeBlock, Div, Code, Link, Image,
and Span data constructors.  In Pandoc's Markdown, headings, code
blocks, div blocks, code inlines, links, images, and spans all can have
"attributes".  The relevant manual sections discuss their syntax and how
they are used (or ignored) by writers:

- <https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#extension-header_attributes>
- <https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#extension-fenced_code_attributes>
- <https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#extension-fenced_divs>
- <https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#extension-inline_code_attributes>
- <https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#extension-link_attributes>
- <https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#extension-bracketed_spans>

I would just add that Pandoc's HTML writer converts Attr values into
HTML tag attributes, including those classes and key-value pairs that
Pandoc does not itself recognize.  Attributes and classes that mean
nothing to Pandoc can become meaningful if, for example, you provide a
custom template with CSS or JavaScript that does something with them.

HTH!

Later,
Daniel G.

@ 2021-09-18 10:53                               ` BPJ