* How to convert from OPML to Markdown without escaping the Markdown
@ 2019-04-11 17:39 Patrick Kenny
       [not found] ` <7dd34cfd-e19f-47b2-a20c-0e62f3901ba4-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Patrick Kenny @ 2019-04-11 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm relatively new to Pandoc and hoping someone can point me in the right
direction.

I created an outline in some software that exports to OPML.  This outline
contains HTML tags and Markdown (for example, lists made of *).

So, when I export the outline to OPML, it looks like this:

 <outline text="List title">

   <outline text="* Item 1" />

   <outline text="* Item 2" />

  <outline text="* Item 3" />

I converted from OPML to Markdown like this:

pandoc -o -s myfile.md myfile.opml --from=opml --to=commonmark

However, this results in the markdown being escaped:

List title

\* Item 1

\* Item 2

\* Item 3

HTML tags are escaped similarly.

How can I turn this escaping off? I want the markdown in the OPML file to
be preserved (treated as markdown) upon conversion to markdown.

* Re: How to convert from OPML to Markdown without escaping the Markdown
       [not found] ` <7dd34cfd-e19f-47b2-a20c-0e62f3901ba4-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-04-11 23:58   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <yh480kef68xffn.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-04-11 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Kenny, pandoc-discuss

The way the OPML reader and writer work is:

- <outline> elements correspond to section headings
  The text attribute is the heading text
- The contents of the _note attribute, if present, are
  parsed as Markdown and treated as text under the
  heading.

I have never used OPML myself, so I don't have a good
sense why it's this way; maybe someone else does.

@ 2019-04-12  8:41   ` BPJ
From: BPJ @ 2019-04-12  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Possibly each `<outline>` is parsed as a separate piece of Markdown so the
parser sees not a list but each as a Paragraph starting with an asterisk.
Still a bit strange. I'd expect single-item lists to be permitted.

@ 2019-04-12  9:41       ` Patrick Kenny
       [not found]         ` <1cc15235-38f9-49f9-a89b-bd37bf331ccb-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Patrick Kenny @ 2019-04-12  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Ok, thanks, that's helpful.

The problem may stem from the OPML spec being vague and OPML having two
rather different use cases: cataloging RSS feeds and storing outlines of
books, task lists, and things in outlining software.

That said, the OPML spec <http://dev.opml.org/spec2.html> says this about
the <outline> element:

*Text attribute  <http://dev.opml.org/spec2.html#textAttribute>*
> Every outline element must have at least a *text* attribute, which is
> what is displayed when an outliner
> <http://support.opml.org/basicOutlining> opens the OPML file. To omit the
> text attribute would render the outline useless in an outliner. This is
> what the user would see
> <http://images.scripting.com/archiveScriptingCom/2005/10/14/badopml2.gif> --
> clearly an unacceptable user experience. Part of the purpose of producing
> OPML is to give users the power to accumulate and organize related
> information in an outliner. This is as important a use for OPML as data
> interchange.
> A missing text attribute in any outline element is an error.
> Text attributes may contain encoded HTML markup.

So HTML tags should be allowed.  If HTML tags are allowed, then Markdown
should be allowed as well, since it's basically a shorthand for HTML.

Upon further investigation, it's not just the * lists that get escaped.

Ordered lists 1. 2. 3. etc. are also escaped as 1\. 2\., and headers are
escaped as \#\#\#\#.

So it seems to me that OPML is not handled correctly during conversion.

I can write a shell script to get around this, but maybe there's a better
way?

@ 2019-04-12 15:06           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <m2mukvb6va.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-04-12 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Kenny, pandoc-discuss

Interesting about the spec allowing HTML formatting.
We could implement that.  I've created an issue:

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/5444

But that's not the only issue here.  The other issue
is that pandoc maps all outline elements to *section
headings*.  I get the impression that you're expecting
something else, since you're inserting content that
doesn't make sense in a heading (like lists).

Content that goes under headings should go in the
_note attribute. Currently this accepts markdown
formatting.  We might want to change that to HTML,
as noted in the issue.

> So HTML tags should be allowed.  If HTML tags are allowed, then Markdown
> should be allowed as well, since it's basically a shorthand for HTML.

No, it's not (look at what pandoc is used for), and
no, it shouldn't be allowed. The meaning of a document
is different if it's interpreted as HTML or as
Markdown.  We should accord with the spec and
interpret the text attribute as HTML.  We should
consider doing the same for the _note attribute, but
I'd want to hear from current OPML users before making
a change.

@ 2019-04-12 16:26               ` Patrick Kenny
       [not found]                 ` <CAE3gDhw7PXHZPKu8SQH__ZV6xB2xv89ZOEx0B3Gd8pZ=-sB7pg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Patrick Kenny @ 2019-04-12 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thank you for the clarification about the distinction between HTML and
Markdown; I was confused.

As for pandoc mapping the outline elements to section headings, that's not
ideal in my case (or for others who are using an app like Workflowy or
Dynalist to export outlines that contain lots of markdown formatting as
OPML, but, the Pandoc documentation on filters has a great example of using
behead.hs to adjust the formatting for section headers below a certain
threshold, which is all I needed to fix that part for my case.

@ 2019-04-12 19:35                   ` BP Jonsson
From: BP Jonsson @ 2019-04-12 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, Patrick Kenny

Den 2019-04-12 kl. 18:26, skrev Patrick Kenny:
> Thank you for the clarification about the distinction between HTML and
> Markdown; I was confused.
>
> As for pandoc mapping the outline elements to section headings, that's not
> ideal in my case (or for others who are using an app like Workflowy or
> Dynalist to export outlines that contain lots of markdown formatting as
> OPML, but, the Pandoc documentation on filters has a great example of using
> behead.hs to adjust the formatting for section headers below a certain
> threshold, which is all I needed to fix that part for my case.

I use the attached Perl script to sanitize Markdown produced by Pandoc from Dynalist OPML:

md-dyna-clean.pl - cleanup Markdown produced by Pandoc from Dynalist.io OPML

    $ pandoc input.opml -w markdown --atx-headers\
    |perl md-dyna-clean.pl [OPTIONS] >output.md

------------------------------  ------------------------------------
-l <INT>, --list-level=<INT>    Highest heading level to turn into
                                nested unordered list. Default: 3

-t <INT>, --tab-stop=<INT>      Number of spaces per tab. Default: 4

-h, --help                      Show this help text and exit.

This Perl script does the following to clean up Markdown produced by
Pandoc <http://pandoc.org> from OPML exported from Dynalist <https://dynalist.io>:

-   Remove backslash escapes in headings
    (because Pandoc escapes punctuation in the text attribute.)

-   Turn headings at a certain threshold and below into nested unordered lists.

    The highest level to "listify" can be set with the -l option.

    If you want another number of spaces than 4 per indent level you can set it
    with the -t option.

CAVEAT:

This is not a Pandoc JSON filter, but a line-by-line text filter which modifies
the Markdown text output by Pandoc.

[-- Attachment #2: md-dyna-clean.pl --]
[-- Type: application/x-perl, Size: 2468 bytes --]

@ 2019-04-13 10:38               ` BP Jonsson
       [not found]                 ` <bdf2bba3-35f6-4358-8340-550b9f2b6cac-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: BP Jonsson @ 2019-04-13 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, John MacFarlane, Patrick Kenny

Den 2019-04-12 kl. 17:06, skrev John MacFarlane:

> Interesting about the spec allowing HTML formatting.
> We could implement that.  I've created an issue:
>
> https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/5444
>
> But that's not the only issue here.  The other issue
> is that pandoc maps all outline elements to *section
> headings*.  I get the impression that you're expecting
> something else, since you're inserting content that
> doesn't make sense in a heading (like lists).
>
> Content that goes under headings should go in the
> _note attribute. Currently this accepts markdown
> formatting.  We might want to change that to HTML,
> as noted in the issue.

Much of the confusion and trouble is due to Dynalist's interface
and how Dynalist exports and imports OPML.

Dynalist documents are displayed as (what looks like) nested HTML
lists. Each list item corresponds to an OPML outline element where
the list item text is in the text attribute. You can also have
notes associated with list items but it takes extra effort: you
have to open a menu, press an extra key (Shift+Enter) while just
Enter creates a new item (outline text), so the interface invites
you to ignore/not use notes.

As for markup Dynalist supports what ostensibly is a subset of
markdown[^1] inside both items and notes, but *not* raw HTML. It
exports OPML containing the literal "markdown" without converting
it to HTML. The result is that you get backslash escaped
"markdown" punctuation in headings when converting Dynalist OPML
to Markdown with Pandoc, and typically the document will consist
almost entirely of headings to a great depth (which Pandoc happily
converts to headings below level 6!).

[^1]: Although their markup is weird, they have `` __italic__
**bold** `code` `` --- note the double underscores for italic! I
don't correct that automatically in the script I posted yesterday
because I generally want to inspect things first and then do a
`:%s/\v_(_.{-}_)_/\1/gc` in Vim to get better control.

The attached screen capture shows what a "document" looks like in
the Dynalist web interface. When exporting this as OPML it looks
like this:

``` {.xml}
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<opml version="2.0">
   <head>
     <title></title>
     <flavor>dynalist</flavor>
     <source>https://dynalist.io</source>
     <ownerName>...</ownerName>
     <ownerEmail>...</ownerEmail>
   </head>
     <outline text="Untitled">
       <outline text="Soluta Laborum">
         <outline text="Et Modi" _note="Porro
Aut&#10;&#10;Pariatur Velit">
           <outline text="Sint Laboriosam" _note="In Sed"/>
         </outline>
         <outline text="Debitis Harum">
           <outline text="Velit Libero" _note="Maxime
__provident__ **nemo** `assumenda`."/>
         </outline>
         <outline text="Impedit Voluptas"/>
       </outline>
     </outline>
</opml>
```

Maybe whether Pandoc shall interpret the contents of the `text`
and `_note` attributes could be made subject to the `raw_html`
extension --- which could then be on by default for OPML.

(I have posted this in the GitHub issue as well.)

@ 2019-04-13 10:59                   ` Benct Philip Jonsson
From: Benct Philip Jonsson @ 2019-04-13 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, Patrick Kenny

Den 2019-04-13 kl. 12:38, skrev BP Jonsson:
> The attached screen capture

Which I forgot.  Here it is!

[-- Attachment #2: dynalist-capture.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 17452 bytes --]

@ 2019-04-13 11:17                   ` Benct Philip Jonsson
       [not found]                     ` <0605902c-ffad-1916-b5af-bf96041dc266-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Benct Philip Jonsson @ 2019-04-13 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, Patrick Kenny

Followup:

The Dynalist HTML export

````html
````

or with some line breaks added for readability

````html
<!DOCTYPE html>
<ul>
<li>Untitled
<ul>
<li>Soluta Laborum
<ul>
<li>Et Modi
<ul>
<li>Sint Laboriosam
<li>Debitis Harum
<ul>
<li>Velit Libero
<i>provident</i>
````

in some ways gives results which probably are more like what the
OP probably expects when converted to Markdown with Pandoc

````markdown
-   Untitled
     -   Soluta Laborum
         -   Et Modi\
             Porro Aut\
             \
             Pariatur Velit
             -   Sint Laboriosam\
                 In Sed
         -   Debitis Harum
             -   Velit Libero\
                 Maxime *provident* **nemo** \`assumenda\`.
         -   Impedit Voluptas
````

There are still some issues, like hard line breaks instead of
paragraphs, and the code showing up as raw markdown in the HTML
instead of inside `<code>` tags.

@ 2019-04-17 11:21                       ` Patrick Kenny
From: Patrick Kenny @ 2019-04-17 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw