Den ons 26 aug. 2020 10:24Marc Chantreux skrev: > hello people, > > > I was questioning, why pandoc uses an old style mailing list which is > unable > > to format code samples (->markdown) etc > > what do you mean by "format"? i read this list with the text content. > > so my anwser here is "freedom" (and nowadays, i'll add digital sobriety > for ecological reasons). > > * you send me the data (without all those extra useless html garbage) > * i do whatever i want with it > (not only reply and archive, modify, annoate, index the way *i* want > and i can mix with other sources) > > it would be hard to get the same level of productivity with a web page > I agree emphatically with this and the rest of what Marc said. I have been using computers since the early eighties and email since the early nineties, and am still to encounter something which beats plain text — that's why I use Pandoc! and i can work offline without even noticing: > * i send mails then my mta will relay it ASAP > * i archived, annotated, indexed some posts and i use it as > documentation (as well as info and man pages when available) > > finally: using vim and mutt makes things very fast. for pandoc > specifically: i use the vim ! operator all the time to test the code > online and :'<,'>w ~/pandoc/samples/cool-one.md (file is created) > when i see something interesting ... i have a bunch of scripts to > make the things even faster. > > > Wouldn't it be much better also for new user, if it would support > markdown > > -> meaning something like slack or discord. > > new users can use whatever webmails they want so they are not lost? > > > I see lots of examples posted in this mailing list, which are hard to > read > > and understand mainly by the lack of formatting. > > again: i don't get it: i don't use webpages but hope they *at least* > don't break the way the initial message is formated? what webmail are > you using ? > > > Whats about discord or slack? or any other channel which can format > markdown > > ...? Maybe other users feel the same? > > well ... to me an active mailing list is a sine qua none to consider a > project > because i have no time to waste with 40 browser tabs to connect to all > those RAM > eaters to end up with a poor version of mutt. > > i learnt vim and mutt 20 years ago and i'm daily rewarded by the confort > and the productivity i have since then (meanwhile, web people came thru > lot of different tools to end up with poor textareas to express > themselves. this is sad) so every abandoned or closed mailing-list (or > nntp forum) is a tragedy to me. > > but maybe we should find a convention so your UA (whatever it is) > "formats" things the way you expect? can you tell us about the way you > read this forum? > > > Of course these solutions also have their disadvantages -> you need > > channels/threads etc... > > mailing lists have threads too: every message that isn't a reply to > another is a new thread. > > regards > marc > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "pandoc-discuss" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org > To view this discussion on the web visit > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/20200826082337.GA8562%40prometheus.u-strasbg.fr > . > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CADAJKhD_XuezmgmseSST4Dbni_UHb3oBwq7GYfBSPzjWavwnUA%40mail.gmail.com.