* Docx to explicit codes
@ 2019-08-13 10:30 Andrew Brown
       [not found] ` <35ac9cc9-d30f-46f9-a2e5-4aa19cddc3b0-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Andrew Brown @ 2019-08-13 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

We have several hundred pages in .docx similar to this

ou cest par cette force, que la planette

Having tried epub3, html, tei, db5, epub, icml, muse, rst and textile I am
getting at best something like this

planette</del>

while I need

<del>ou </del><bold+del>cest</bold+del><del> par cette force,
</del><bold+del>que</bold+del><del> la planette</del>

The result will be stored in Filemaker Pro and converted by calculation to
Adobe Tagged Text.

Icml comes close, but treats underlined text as normal text, a bug surely.

Hopeless quest?

AB

[-- Attachment #2: source.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 358406 bytes --]

* Re: Docx to explicit codes
       [not found] ` <35ac9cc9-d30f-46f9-a2e5-4aa19cddc3b0-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-08-13 12:48   ` Andrew Brown
From: Andrew Brown @ 2019-08-13 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Le mardi 13 août 2019 12:30:58 UTC+2, Andrew Brown a écrit :

> We have several hundred pages in .docx similar to this
>
> ou cest par cette force, que la planette
>

> Having tried epub3, html, tei, db5, epub, icml, muse, rst and textile I am
> getting at best something like this

> planette</del>
>

> while I need
>
> <del>ou </del><bold+del>cest</bold+del><del> par cette force,
> </del><bold+del>que</bold+del><del> la planette</del>
>

> The result will be stored in Filemaker Pro and converted by calculation to
> Adobe Tagged Text.
>
> Icml comes close, but treats underlined text as normal text, a bug surely.
>
> Hopeless quest?
>
> AB

I see that docconverter.pro goes most of the way :

style="text-decoration:line-through">cest</span><span
style="text-decoration:line-through"> par cette force, </span><span
class="bleugras" style="text-decoration:line-through">que</span><span
style="text-decoration:line-through"> la planette...

It is also free of strange notions about underlining, and respects it

AB

* Re: Docx to explicit codes
       [not found] ` <35ac9cc9-d30f-46f9-a2e5-4aa19cddc3b0-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-08-13 18:35   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <yh480kd0h8lxpw.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-08-13 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Brown, pandoc-discuss

I'm confused about what problem you're having.
In HTML, this is absolutely correct:

    planette</del>

The scope of the del element is the entire thing.  (And there is
no <bold+del> element in HTML.

Andrew Brown <c18.org.c18-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> We have several hundred pages in .docx similar to this
>
> ou cest par cette force, que la planette
>

> Having tried epub3, html, tei, db5, epub, icml, muse, rst and textile I am
> getting at best something like this

> planette</del>
>

> while I need
>
> <del>ou </del><bold+del>cest</bold+del><del> par cette force,
> </del><bold+del>que</bold+del><del> la planette</del>
>

> The result will be stored in Filemaker Pro and converted by calculation to
> Adobe Tagged Text.
>
> Icml comes close, but treats underlined text as normal text, a bug surely.
>
> Hopeless quest?
>
> AB
>
> --

* Re: Docx to explicit codes
       [not found]     ` <yh480kd0h8lxpw.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-08-14 10:36       ` BP Jonsson
       [not found]         ` <CAFC_yuTGfyBcABzrU+0EYX5430L3o1YSOrbPqHn2rvKENkv-wQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BP Jonsson @ 2019-08-14 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss; +Cc: Andrew Brown

John, I think Andrew wants to convert to some other format, perhaps docbook?

Andrew, is the above correct? In any case please tell which format you want
to convert to. Also can you please send a DOCX file containing your example
as an attachment, so that I can inspect Pandoc's internal representation of
it and see if I can write a Lua filter which gives you the output you want?

It wouldn't surprise me if this is due to some buggy ebook reader(s) having
a picky, nonstandard idea of what things should look like. Have you tried
several ebook readers on Pandoc's output? If so have you got different
results or the same?

Do you mean that you don't want the space between words to be struck out?
That should be fairly easy to fix with a Lua filter, I think. I would
however need to know which output formats you are converting to so that the
filter can support them all.

As for colored text, underline etc. Pandoc doesn't support all kinds of
styled text out of the box. However you should be able to use named styles
instead of automatic styles in your DOCX document and a Pandoc Lua filter
to work around it. If you already have DOCX documents using automatic
styles you may be able to convert them with a Word or LibreOffice macro. I
have used Linux exclusively for several years so my Word skills are a bit
stale, but if it is OK temporarily convert the DOCX file to an ODT file I
may be able to help you even doing batch conversion.

Den tis 13 aug. 2019 20:36John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> skrev:

> I'm confused about what problem you're having.
> In HTML, this is absolutely correct:

>     planette</del>
>
> The scope of the del element is the entire thing.  (And there is
> no <bold+del> element in HTML.
>
> Andrew Brown <c18.org.c18-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > We have several hundred pages in .docx similar to this
> >
> > ou cest par cette force, que la planette
> >

> > Having tried epub3, html, tei, db5, epub, icml, muse, rst and textile I
> am
> > getting at best something like this

> > planette</del>
> >

> > while I need
> >
> > <del>ou </del><bold+del>cest</bold+del><del> par cette force,
> > </del><bold+del>que</bold+del><del> la planette</del>
> >

> > The result will be stored in Filemaker Pro and converted by calculation
> > Adobe Tagged Text.
> >
> > Icml comes close, but treats underlined text as normal text, a bug
> surely.
> >
> > Hopeless quest?
> >
> > AB
> >
> > --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/35ac9cc9-d30f-46f9-a2e5-4aa19cddc3b0%40googlegroups.com
> .
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/yh480kd0h8lxpw.fsf%40johnmacfarlane.net
> .

* Re: Docx to explicit codes
       [not found]         ` <CAFC_yuTGfyBcABzrU+0EYX5430L3o1YSOrbPqHn2rvKENkv-wQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-08-14 12:33           ` Andrew Brown
       [not found]             ` <72b3010b-eeff-419b-8643-9a09d6341205-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Andrew Brown @ 2019-08-14 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Indeed, BP, I want to convert to my own format in which every change of
typographic style has its own delimiters -- and my use of angle brackets is
unconnected with html. Once I have my text in that state I can convert it
by calculation within FMP to whatever I need, Adobe Tagged Text perhaps, or
TeX, or CSS.

I probably have the solution with docconverter.pro (see my second message
above) so in the first instance I shall try that on the final files, not
yet received, and will return to Pandoc if need be.

Many thanks for your kind offer of assistance. I'm probably one of the
older persons on this list and consider that it has all been downhill since
1980, with XML making the final fall into the abyss of unbounded prolixity,
arm-in-arm with TEI. There's probably a term for my condition -- other than
senility -- which is probably incurable.

AB

Le mercredi 14 août 2019 12:36:16 UTC+2, BP Jonsson a écrit :

> [...]
>> In HTML, this is absolutely correct:

>>     planette</del>
>>
>> The scope of the del element is the entire thing.  (And there is
>> no <bold+del> element in HTML.
>>
>> Andrew Brown <c18....-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org <javascript:>> writes:
>>
>> > We have several hundred pages in .docx similar to this
>> >
>> > ou cest par cette force, que la planette
>> >

>> > Having tried epub3, html, tei, db5, epub, icml, muse, rst and textile I
>> am
>> > getting at best something like this

>> > planette</del>
>> >

>> > while I need
>> >
>> > <del>ou </del><bold+del>cest</bold+del><del> par cette force,
>> > </del><bold+del>que</bold+del><del> la planette</del>
>> >

>> > The result will be stored in Filemaker Pro and converted by calculation
>> > Adobe Tagged Text.
>> >
>> > Icml comes close, but treats underlined text as normal text, a bug

* Re: Docx to explicit codes
       [not found]             ` <72b3010b-eeff-419b-8643-9a09d6341205-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-08-15 15:39               ` BPJ
From: BPJ @ 2019-08-15 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)