* Way to have markdown ==highlighting== show up as highlighting in .docx or .odt files?
@ 2021-12-09 13:29 Paul
       [not found] ` <b36d117c-bce8-4cda-acef-795fdc6d95dfn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Paul @ 2021-12-09 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I use a lot of highlighting in my markdown editor Obsidian, but I was
wondering if there's a way to have that highlighting show up in the Word or
Libreoffice Writer files?

Bold and italics work fine, as far as I can tell, and when converting to a
pdf the highlighting transfers great. I gather, however, that the
==highlighting== is not standard in all markdown so is that the issue?

Any ideas?
Thanks!

* Re: Way to have markdown ==highlighting== show up as highlighting in .docx or .odt files?
       [not found] ` <b36d117c-bce8-4cda-acef-795fdc6d95dfn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-12-09 13:55   ` Joseph Reagle
       [not found]     ` <9995ee8a-295e-1836-5645-9bb5ff76445d-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2021-12-09 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

This is the first time I've encountered [this syntax][1] and it is not natively supported by pandoc. Or am I wrong and you are saying pandoc handles it when using the latex/PDF writer? (Or, are you saying Obsidian can export to PDF, but not Word?)

I see there's been some discussion on the [CommonMark forum][2], but it doesn't look like you'd find an immediate solution.

Using a filter or hacking something that converts `==foo==` to [foo]{.highlight} that is properly rendered in Word might be options.

[1]: https://www.markdownguide.org/extended-syntax/#highlight
[2]: https://talk.commonmark.org/t/highlighting-text-with-the-mark-element/840

@ 2021-12-09 14:23       ` Paul
From: Paul @ 2021-12-09 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Yes, Obsidian can export to PDF, I confused that, but I assumed that the
process would be the same, but I just checked, and now I'm not sure how
Obsidian exports to PDF.

How would I create/implement such a filter to convert this?
Thanks :)

@ 2021-12-09 16:10       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]         ` <m2czm5ep3u.fsf-d8241O7hbXoP5tpWdHSM3tPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-12-09 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Reagle, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

If this is a syntax that is becoming common, we could consider
adding a markdown extension for it.  You could open an issue on
our issue tracker.

@ 2021-12-09 16:58           ` Paul
From: Paul @ 2021-12-09 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Cool, good idea, thanks. Done <https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/7743>

@ 2021-12-09 17:11           ` Joseph Reagle
       [not found]             ` <9d89679a-94dc-2459-822f-93dbe4cbca57-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2021-12-09 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

BTW: If CommonMark or pandoc were to support highlight, I would then wonder why not support all of CriticMarkup, which supports highlight as `{== ==}` or `{>> <<}`. (It's a shame that we have two different syntaxes emerging for highlight.)

@ 2021-12-09 17:16               ` Paul
From: Paul @ 2021-12-09 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Well, to be honest, I've only really been exposed to markdown through
Obsidian.md and they implemented highlighting with '== ==', so until I
started looking up how to get that to show up in a converted .docx file I
didn't really know it wasn't common practice :)

@ 2021-12-09 17:29               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                 ` <m2r1ald6vy.fsf-d8241O7hbXoP5tpWdHSM3tPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-12-09 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Reagle, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On CriticMarkup, see

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/2873
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/5430

@ 2022-01-02 14:09                   ` Alx Nbl
       [not found]                     ` <2cf7ddb7-c135-441c-8758-d780938bb5ffn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Alx Nbl @ 2022-01-02 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi all. The '== ==' syntax is also used by Joplin app. I would also be very
interested by such a feature.

@ 2022-01-02 16:52                       ` Alx Nbl
       [not found]                         ` <c0083e12-4b71-4fd1-a701-f6ea922a1f98n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Alx Nbl @ 2022-01-02 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

My use case is different from paulschi, in my case i am trying to convert
docx into markdown and generating '== ==' syntax when there is higlighted
text in the docx file.

@ 2022-06-21 13:21                           ` Emiliano
       [not found]                             ` <beef58d1-ac94-4f5a-9405-ecfbff6caa8cn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Emiliano @ 2022-06-21 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Any news about this feature for Pandoc? I use a lot the highlight syntax
('== ==') in Obsidian and it would be great if I could render my
highlighted text in PDF (also in DOCX and ODT).

@ 2022-06-21 16:43                               ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-06-21 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emiliano, pandoc-discuss

Currently tracked at https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/7743
This has not yet been implemented, but would be a sensible
markdown extension to add.

@ 2022-06-21 16:44                               ` -
       [not found]                                 ` <489be9a1-e45a-4bee-ab8d-ce83ca7ed292n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: - @ 2022-06-21 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Good question! Thanks for reminding me of this. But exporting to PDF in
Obsidian with highlights should work automatically, no?

@ 2022-06-22 14:10                                   ` Emiliano
       [not found]                                     ` <ba18ff15-897d-4a7f-bbd4-3735da206f1dn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Emiliano @ 2022-06-22 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Well, if you export in PDF through Obsidian the highlighted text is
rendered correctly but not if you use Pandoc. I do not export in PDF
through Obsidian because then I would be bound to the style of the active
theme, namely, I would see the PDF file with a black background (I use the
Dark Mode), font size, spacing, margins, etc. of Obsidian's active theme.

@ 2022-06-22 17:44                                       ` BPJ
       [not found]                                         ` <CADAJKhCSGnvyAP=OSkNB_JRhwUgdtZ0Do8bNScw+b-aQDWwzWQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2022-06-22 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

According to the principle that it's better to find out what you can do
with the tools you have you can use a span with a class, like `[text]{.hl}`
and use a simple filter to convert that to Obsidian's syntax when
processing with Obsidian, by choosing `markdown` as output format, or
insert the necessary LaTeX markup when producing PDF (or arrange for the
necessary CSS to be loaded if producing PDF via HTML.)

``````lua
local eq_hl = pandoc.RawInline('markdown', '==')

local highlight = {
  markdown = { start = eq_hl, stop = eq_hl },
  latex = {
    start = pandoc.RawInline('latex', '\\colorbox[named]{yellow}{'),
    stop = pandoc.RawInline('latex', '}'),
  },
}

local hl = highlight[FORMAT]

function Span (s)
  if s.classes:includes('hl') then
    if hl then
      rv = s.content
      rv:insert(1, hl.start)
      rv:insert(hl.stop)
      return rv
    end
  end
  return nil
end
``````

I'm not sure that the default LaTeX template always loads the xcolor
package. You may need a modifier template.

I can imagine you lose some in-editor preview, but you get reasonable
output.

HTH,

/bpj

@ 2022-06-23 11:14                                           ` Emiliano
       [not found]                                             ` <3316a007-a142-4d3d-a2f8-40befafb4249n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Emiliano @ 2022-06-23 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

BPJ, is it possible to create a lua filter that does the same thing but it
converts Obsidian syntax '== ==' into a highlighted text? I have tons of
notes written in Obsidian syntax and it would be an enormous task to modify
all of them with the 'new' syntax. By the way, your lua filter works
perfectly!

@ 2022-06-23 19:06                                               ` BPJ
       [not found]                                                 ` <CADAJKhA3F-VC--BMe2mpERZr=LmXZFNE61EwvHmfk0dwYp_ALw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2022-06-23 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

It would be possible but it would be rather fragile and finicky because you
would have to

1.  traverse lists of inline elements,
2.  locate string elements which contain "==",
3.  split that strings into the bit before and after "==",
4.  insert the right raw markup for the output format in place of "=="
5.  collect elements up to the next string element which contains "==",
6.  Redo #3 and #4 with that string,
7.  Throw an error if #5 fails!

You are probably better off replacing the `==...==` in your existing files
using the attached Perl script. It is a modification of a script which I
have used to convert `_..._` and the like to spans. It uses regexes, but is
smart enough to leave block and inline code and math as well as "==" in
contexts were it probably isn't a delimiter alone. Make sure to check out
the -h and -m options for documentation

Den tors 23 juni 2022 13:15Emiliano <gattulli.emiliano-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> skrev:

> [...]
>>   return nil
>> end
>> ``````
>>
>> I'm not sure that the default LaTeX template always loads the xcolor
>> package. You may need a modifier template.
>>
>> I can imagine you lose some in-editor preview, but you get reasonable
>> output.
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> /bpj
>>
>> Den ons 22 juni 2022 16:11Emiliano <gattulli...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> skrev:
>>
>>> Well, if you export in PDF through Obsidian the highlighted text is
>>> rendered correctly but not if you use Pandoc. I do not export in PDF
>>> through Obsidian because then I would be bound to the style of the active
>>> theme, namely, I would see the PDF file with a black background (I use the
>>> Dark Mode), font size, spacing, margins, etc. of Obsidian's active theme.

[-- Attachment #2: highlight-eq2span.pl --]
[-- Type: text/x-perl, Size: 6371 bytes --]

#!/usr/bin/env perl

use 5.010001;
use utf8;
# use utf8::all;
use strict;
use warnings;
use warnings FATAL => 'utf8';
use autodie;

use open qw[ :utf8 :std ];

use Getopt::Long qw[GetOptions
  :config bundling no_auto_abbrev no_ignore_case];
use Pod::Usage qw[pod2usage];
use Text::Balanced qw[extract_multiple];

my %opt = (
  attributes => '.hl',
  check_word_chars => 1,
  check_whitespace => 1,
  backslash_escapes => 1,
  backticks_code => 1,
  tilde_code_blocks => 1,
  tex_math_dollars => 1,
  tex_math_double_backslash => 0,
  tex_math_single_backslash => 0,
);

my @opts = grep { /_/ } keys %opt;

sub all {
  $opt{$_} = 1 for @opts;
}

sub none {
  $opt{$_} = 0 for @opts;
}

sub neg_opt {
  my($name) = @_;
  $name =~ s/^no_//;
  $opt{$name} = 0;
}

GetOptions(
  \%opt,
  'attributes|a=s',
  'check_whitespace|check-whitespace|s',
  'no_check_whitespace|no-check-whitespace|S' => \&neg_opt,
  'check_word_chars|check-word-chars|w',
  'no_check_word_chars|no-check-word-chars|W' => \&neg_opt,
  'backslash_escapes|backslash-escapes|b',
  'no_backslash_escapes|no-backslash-escapes|B' => \&neg_opt,
  'backticks_code|backticks-code|c',
  'no_backticks_code|no-backticks-code|C' => \&neg_opt,
  'tilde_code_blocks|tilde-code-blocks|t',
  'no_tilde_code_blocks|no-tilde-code-blocks|T' => \&neg_opt,
  'tex_math_dollars|tex-math-dollars|d',
  'no_tex_math_dollars|no-tex-math-dollars|D' => \&neg_opt,
  'tex_math_double_backslash|tex-math-double-backslash|db',
  'no_tex_math_double_backslash|no-tex-math-double-backslash|DB' => \&neg_opt,
  'tex_math_single_backslash|tex-math-single-backslash|sb',
  'no_tex_math_single_backslash|no-tex-math-single-backslash|SB' => \&neg_opt,
  'none|n' => \&none,
  'all|N|A' => \&all,
  'help|h' => sub { pod2usage(1) },
  'man|m' => sub { pod2usage( -verbose => 2) },
);

my $span_start = '[';
my $span_stop  = "]{$opt{attributes}}";

my @extractors;

if ( $opt{tex_math_double_backslash} ) 	{
  push @extractors, (
    qr{ \\\\ \( .+? \\\\ \) }msx,
    qr{ \\\\ \[ .+? \\\\ \] }msx,
  );
}
if ( $opt{tex_math_single_backslash} ) 	{
  push @extractors, (
    qr{ \\ \( .+? \\ \) }msx,
    qr{ \\ \[ .+? \\ \] }msx,
  );
}
push @extractors, qr{ \\. }msx if $opt{backslash_escapes};
push @extractors, qr[ ( ( \~{3,} ) .+? \g{-1} ) ]msx if $opt{tilde_code_blocks};
push @extractors, qr[ ( ( \`+ ) .+? \g{-1} ) ]msx if $opt{backticks_code};
if ( $opt{tex_math_dollars} ) {
  push @extractors, (
    qr{ \$\$ (?: [^\n] | (?<! \n ) \n (?! \n ) )+? \$\$ }msx,
    qr{ \$ (?! \s ) .+? (?<! \s ) \$ (?! \d ) }msx,
  );
}

{
  my $highlight = qr{
    #w (?<! [\pL\pN\p{Mn}] )
    \=\=
    #s (?! \s )
    ( .+? )
    #s (?<! \s )
    \=\=
    #w (?! [\pL\pN\p{Mn}] )
  }msx;
  if ( $opt{check_whitespace} ) {
    $highlight =~ s/#s//g;
  }
  if ( $opt{check_word_chars} ) {
    $highlight =~ s/#w//g;
  }
  push @extractors, +{ highlight => qr/$highlight/msx };
}

# Slurp stdin
my $text = do { local $/; <>; };

# Process the text
my @chunks = extract_multiple $text, \@extractors;
for my $chunk ( @chunks ) {
  if ( ref $chunk ) {
    $chunk = $span_start . $$chunk . $span_stop;
  }
}

print join "", @chunks;

__END__

=encoding UTF-8

=head1 NAME

highlight-eq2span.pl -- Replace Obsidian higlight runs with Pandoc spans

=head1 VERSION

This documentation describes version 0.001 of highlight-eq2span.pl

=head1 SYNOPSIS

    perl highlight-eq2span.pl [OPTIONS] <input.md >output.md

=head1 DESCRIPTION

highlight-eq2span.pl replaces C<==HIGHLIGHTED==> as understood
by Obsidian with Pandoc spans like C<[HIGHLIGHTED]{.hl}>.

This script is a regex-based text filter, with far simpler parsing
capabilities than Pandoc.
However it by default tries to leave B<==> sequences which are unlikely
to be highlighting markup alone. There are some command line
options to control this.

=head1 OPTIONS

=over

=item -a, --attributes STR

Use STR as attributes for Pandoc spans.

Default value: C<.hl>

=item -s, --check-whitespace

Assume that opening C<==> delimiters are not followed by whitespace,
and that closing C<==> delimiters are not preceded by whitespace.

Default value: true

=item -S --no-check-whitespace

Set the -s option just above to false.

=item -w, --check-word-chars

Assume that opening C<==> delimiters are not preceded by word-chars,
and that closing C<==> delimiters are not followed by word-chars.

=item -W --no-check-word-chars

Set the -w option just above to false.

=item -b, --backslash-escapes

Skip characters preceded by a backslash.
This notably includes C<\=>.

Note that the B<--db> and B<--sb> option below affect this option!

=item -B --no-backslash-escapes

Set the -b option just above to false.

=item -c, --backticks-code

Skip chunks of text which look like block or inline
backticks-delimited code.

=item -C --no-backticks-code

Set the -c option just above to false.

=item -t, --tilde-code-blocks

Skip chunks of text which look like tilde-delimited code blocks.

=item -T --no-tilde-code-blocks

Set the -t option just above to false.

=item -d, --tex-math-dollars

Skip chunks of text which look like block or inline $ delimited math.

=item -D --no-tex-math-dollars

Set the -d option just above to false.

=item --db, --tex-math-double-backticks

Skip chunks of text which look like C<\\(...\\)> or C<\\[...\\]>
delimited math.

Default value: false

=item --DB --no-tex-math-double-backticks

Set the --db option just above to false.

=item --sb, --tex-math-single-backticks

Skip chunks of text which look like C<\(...\)> or C<\[...\]>
delimited math.

=item --SB --no-tex-math-single-backticks

Set the --sb option just above to false.

=item -n, --none

Disable all switches.

=item -A, -N, --all

Enable all switches.

=item -h --help

Print usage help and exit.

=item -m, --man

Print full documentation and exit.

=head1 LICENSE

This software is copyright (c) 2022 by Benct Philip Jonsson.

This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under
the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself.

http://dev.perl.org/licenses/

=head1 AUTHOR

Benct Philip Jonsson E<lt>bpjonsson@gmail.comE<gt>

=cut

# Vim: set ft=pod et ts=4 sts=4 sw=4 tw=72 cc=72:

@ 2022-06-23 19:45                                                   ` Emiliano
From: Emiliano @ 2022-06-23 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thank you!

@ 2022-06-24  8:46                                                   ` BPJ
       [not found]                                                     ` <CADAJKhAq4vmgvNP7VFduvLQ-EAPeGry+-gNcuFYJFpnDbZ02Bw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2022-06-24  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bpj; +Cc: pandoc-discuss, gattulli.emiliano-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w

Ack, I made a mistake in the documentation. The long names of the --db and
--sb options are of course --tex-math-double-backslash and
--tex-math-single-backslash, not ~~*-backticks~~. That's what you get for
copy-and-pasting too much! Sorry!!

Den tors 23 juni 2022 21:06BPJ <bpj-J3H7GcXPSITLoDKTGw+V6w@public.gmane.org> skrev:

> [...]

=item -W --no-check-word-chars

Set the -w option just above to false.

=item -b, --backslash-escapes

Skip characters preceded by a backslash.
This notably includes C<\=>.

Note that the B<--db> and B<--sb> option below affect this option!

=item -B --no-backslash-escapes

Set the -b option just above to false.

=item -c, --backticks-code

Skip chunks of text which look like block or inline
backticks-delimited code.

=item -C --no-backticks-code

Set the -c option just above to false.

=item -t, --tilde-code-blocks

Skip chunks of text which look like tilde-delimited code blocks.

=item -T --no-tilde-code-blocks

Set the -t option just above to false.

=item -d, --tex-math-dollars

Skip chunks of text which look like block or inline $ delimited math.

=item --db, --tex-math-double-backslash

Skip chunks of text which look like C<\\(...\\)> or C<\\[...\\]>
delimited math.

=item --DB --no-tex-math-double-backslash

@ 2022-06-24  9:04                                                       ` BPJ
From: BPJ @ 2022-06-24  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bpj; +Cc: pandoc-discuss, gattulli.emiliano-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w