* Default --defaults file
@ 2020-04-13 20:40 Lyndon Drake
       [not found] ` <e0b4eeef-b167-4e50-b000-c16a8cb4a961-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Lyndon Drake @ 2020-04-13 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

The (relatively) new --defaults support is wonderful. I wondered if there
is any chance of there being a "default" --defaults file. This would help
in general (just invoke pandoc without having to specify defaults and get
whatever I have set as my default behaviour) but also specifically for e.g.
hugo which has no way to alter the command-line arguments when it invokes
pandoc. One suggestion is to put a shell script called pandoc in my path
ahead of /usr/local/bin/pandoc and get the same behaviour but personally
I'd prefer something in pandoc.

Best,
Lyndon

* Re: Default --defaults file
       [not found] ` <e0b4eeef-b167-4e50-b000-c16a8cb4a961-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-04-13 21:47   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2y2qzgirr.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-04-13 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lyndon Drake, pandoc-discuss

I'm reluctant to do this because of the security implications.
Somebody could place a file in your ~/.pandoc and it would cause
an arbitrary executable (filter) to be run each time you run
pandoc!  Shell script idea works and seems safer.

Lyndon Drake <lyndon-S8RYeTzMgQ3QT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> The (relatively) new --defaults support is wonderful. I wondered if there
> is any chance of there being a "default" --defaults file. This would help
> in general (just invoke pandoc without having to specify defaults and get
> whatever I have set as my default behaviour) but also specifically for e.g.
> hugo which has no way to alter the command-line arguments when it invokes
> pandoc. One suggestion is to put a shell script called pandoc in my path
> ahead of /usr/local/bin/pandoc and get the same behaviour but personally
> I'd prefer something in pandoc.
>
> Best,
> Lyndon
>
> --

* Re: Default --defaults file
       [not found]     ` <m2y2qzgirr.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-04-13 22:27       ` Lyndon Drake
From: Lyndon Drake @ 2020-04-13 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Ah yes that makes sense — and in fact my main reason for wanting it is to
include pandoc-citeproc so the shell script is probably the way forward in
my case.

On Tuesday, 14 April 2020 09:47:54 UTC+12, John MacFarlane wrote:

> I'm reluctant to do this because of the security implications.
> Somebody could place a file in your ~/.pandoc and it would cause
> an arbitrary executable (filter) to be run each time you run
> pandoc!  Shell script idea works and seems safer.
>
> Lyndon Drake <lyn...-S8RYeTzMgQ3QT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org <javascript:>> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > The (relatively) new --defaults support is wonderful. I wondered if
> there
> > is any chance of there being a "default" --defaults file. This would
> help
> > in general (just invoke pandoc without having to specify defaults and
> get
> > whatever I have set as my default behaviour) but also specifically for
> e.g.
> > hugo which has no way to alter the command-line arguments when it
> invokes
> > pandoc. One suggestion is to put a shell script called pandoc in my path
> > ahead of /usr/local/bin/pandoc and get the same behaviour but personally
> > I'd prefer something in pandoc.
> >
> > Best,
> > Lyndon
> >
> > --