First of all apologies for forgetting to put a subject on my original post! Den fre 26 maj 2023 00:20Rik skrev: > On 2023-05-25 09:52, BPJ wrote: > > (Apologies to those who get cross-posts of this — I hope to reach as > > many as possible, and believe that there may be people here who have > > relevant experience.) > > > > Hello everyone, > > > > I'm looking for advice from people who have used LaTeX, preferably > > XeLaTeX but LuaLaTeX is interesting too,[1] to write a (“traditional”) > > reference grammar (or even better an historical reference grammar), and > > if so have you anything to share — code or pointers or examples? I will > > almost certainly mesh LaTeX and Pandoc so experiences from handling the > > issues mentioned below in that context are very welcome. > > > > I have tried to find something on CTAN but have come up empty handed, > > and googling “write [natural language] reference grammar with LaTeX” has > > proved useless. > > > > The first feature I will need is section numbers — “§ 42” style — which > are > > > > - in the left margin against a paragraph; > > - possible to reference with links in the PDF; > > - preferably using a label since the actual numbers may be subject to > > change when adding/moving around parts; > > - with running § numbers (of first § on left page and (preferably) > > last § on right page) in the page headers; > > - independent of chapter/heading structure: a § number/label stands > > against a paragraph rather than a heading, and naturally a paragraph may > > or may not have one; > > - possibile to have indices — index rerum and index verborum for > > multiple languages — referring to § numbers rather than pages. > > > > So I think that more generally this is about > > > > - custom label/reference categories; > > - custom counters; > > - getting things into the (left) margin flush with the top of a > paragraph; > > - getting custom things (involving counters) into page headers; > > - custom index formats, specifically indices referencing other numbers > > than page numbers.[2] > > > > I fully expect to have to set up most of this myself, and am willing to > > write external scripts to deal with aspects of it — preferred language > > Perl (which I have been using since the mid nineties) and I’m able and > > willing to use PerlTeX if convenient, since I’m a far better Perl than > > TeX programmer, although getting a grip on LaTeX solutions would be > > wonderful! :-) I also have Lua experience but as I'm using above-ASCII > > Unicode a lot Lua may be less useful. FWIW I have a good grip on how to > > do Unicode-aware/custom-order sorting in Perl and I have even written > > (slow) code to do Unicode-aware/custom-order sorting in Lua. > > > > [1] This involves needing to use system fonts and Unicode/UTF-8 encoded > > text using multiple scripts. Mostly Latin, IPA, Greek and some Cyrillic, > > but using some “exotic” Latin letters and combining marks. > > > > [2] This looks relevant: > >. Using memoir seems to > > be a good idea anyway. > > > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > > Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send > > an email to > > pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org > > . > > To view this discussion on the web visit > > > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CADAJKhBggA8DZjkoC%3Dm7GvWRK-PdG-eDByP03tE47znBY4qOiw%40mail.gmail.com > < > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CADAJKhBggA8DZjkoC%3Dm7GvWRK-PdG-eDByP03tE47znBY4qOiw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer > >. > I believe that ConTeXt can handle all of these requirements. Refer to > \definelabel and related for the first three requirements, > \definemarking and related for the next, and register subentries for the > last (see https://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context-wvrSQK3plZs@public.gmane.org/msg74028.html) > for more on that. > That looks promising, if it is worth the learning curve since there are a number of LaTeX packages which I already rely on which may not have a ready ConTeXt equivalent. How hard would it be to define a sort order for a new script, perhaps wholly or partly located in the/a PUA? > -- > Rik > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "pandoc-discuss" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org > To view this discussion on the web visit > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/u4omtu%24jj4%241%40ciao.gmane.io > . > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CADAJKhDp12Y8yc8uzA75zL%2BPe-3_G%3D8RKe_8t%3DCAkgB1QxUwpQ%40mail.gmail.com.