* Table cell horizontal alignment (docx)
@ 2015-01-08 11:01 Matt Dawson
       [not found] ` <8ce26c52-2502-4c4a-bcc5-9de9d0f62928-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Matt Dawson @ 2015-01-08 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I am currently using pandoc to convert *html* to *docx* and unfortunately
the alignment of the html tables is not preserved in the docx output. I
have tried setting the alignment on the td and on the paragraph inside the
td but this alignment does not come through to the output docx file.

I have tried using:

and

and

is there anything i am missing or is this just not supported? Any solutions
or help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Matt

* Re: Table cell horizontal alignment (docx)
       [not found] ` <8ce26c52-2502-4c4a-bcc5-9de9d0f62928-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-01-08 14:31   ` Mark Szepieniec
       [not found]     ` <CAE4-1rXcYCSmPAjr8Nt60B-zOb4zQWFK8jZm9FBVHWRo54bZrA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Mark Szepieniec @ 2015-01-08 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The pandoc document model does support alignments in tables, and from a
quick look at the source code, the docx writer seems to support alignment.
Therefore I'd guess it's an issue with the html reader.

Note that in pandoc the alignments are set by column, so I'm not sure if it
could ever properly interpret html input in which every cell has an
arbitrary alignment.

I think your options are to switch to markdown for your input, whose tables
pandoc understands properly, or write a filter that changes alignment
settings of tables that have been read in from html.

@ 2015-01-14 14:29       ` Matt Dawson
       [not found]         ` <d450007a-aec5-4793-a691-ee334eb19c60-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Matt Dawson @ 2015-01-14 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks for your input Mark.

I have read up on the table alignment for markdown. This reminded me that i
wasn't including a <thead> in my html table in the input file. I have added
that and set the alignment for each column on the <th> but the alignment
still isn't brought through to the output docx :-(. The full extent of my
workflow involves:

   - an editing team writing articles in Wordpress which i then export to a
   single xml.
   - Run a python script on the xml to convert to multiple html files
   - Run pandoc on the html files to convert to docx and multiple other
   formats.

I can't ask the writing team to write in markdown and many of the articles
include tables. I need to be able to allow the writers to set the table
alignment themselves using tools they are familiar with.

The only thing i can think of at the moment is look for a script to convert
my wordpress xml to markdown, however the first one i tried didn't support
markdown tables.

@ 2015-01-15 10:47           ` Matt Dawson
       [not found]             ` <d35eb586-e8ab-4a33-94d5-d9f68c1da8bc-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Matt Dawson @ 2015-01-15 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I have just ran a test using markdown as the input that includes a table
with alignment:

# Tables
## multi-line table example

 Centered   Default           Right Left
  Header    Aligned         Aligned Aligned
----------- ------- --------------- -------------------------
   First    row                12.0 Example of a row that
                                    spans multiple lines.

  Second    row                 5.0 Here's another one. Note
                                    the blank line between
                                    rows.

Pandoc successfully writes a docx output file that contains the table
alignment. So this confirms your suspicions Mark that the issue lies with
the html reader.

Can i report this as a bug? How am i best to do about that?

Matt

@ 2015-01-15 12:45               ` Matthew Pickering
       [not found]                 ` <CALuQ0m--3-RS9M9bc-9fkv64_ZvVWzvTpqhtDTwqrq6VL5cvHw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Matthew Pickering @ 2015-01-15 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I opened an issue here. https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/1881

@ 2015-01-15 15:17                   ` Matt Dawson
       [not found]                     ` <9e32a3c7-826d-4a55-9f57-962ffad1823e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Matt Dawson @ 2015-01-15 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks Matthew.

@Mark Szepieniec mentioned using a filter as a work-arround. I have just
read up on them in the documentation but it seems a little out of my
skill-set! I guess i'll just have to see the outcome of the issue you have
raised.

thanks again.

Matt

@ 2015-01-15 18:20                       ` Mark Szepieniec