* Can a given publisher's citations be listed first?
@ 2023-09-08 10:17 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found] ` <CAEe_xxi5Q+BhE+O2EjfnYZAyF=_hr7HMcgKHcNKEYoFiJNSraw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss @ 2023-09-08 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello,

I'd like to sort references so a given publisher's ("BBF") references are
listed first, and am wondering whether it's possible to compare the
publisher variable with "BBF". I tried, but it doesn't seem to work (and
the CSL spec. doesn't appear to indicate that you can do this), so I've
fallen back on using original-publisher (I'll have to make sure that all
the BBF references use this rather than publisher). This works, but I'd
prefer the first approach. Any suggestions?

CSL is attached.

Thanks,
William

[-- Attachment #2: bbf.csl --]

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
       class="in-text" version="1.0"
       demote-non-dropping-particle="never"
       page-range-format="chicago"
       default-locale="en-GB">
  <!-- This style was originally edited with the Visual CSL Editor
       (https://editor.citationstyles.org/visualEditor/) -->
  <info>
    <title>BBF</title>
    <id>http://www.zotero.org/styles/bbf</id>
    <link rel="self" href="http://www.zotero.org/styles/bbf"/>
    <author>
      <name>William Lupton</name>
      <email>wlupton@broadband-forum.org</email>
    </author>
    <summary>Broadband Forum (BBF) style</summary>
    <updated>2020-03-18T12:35:57+00:00</updated>
    <category/>
  </info>
  <!-- XXX this doesn't work; can't compare strings? -->
  <macro name="publisher-is-bbf">
    <choose>
      <if publisher="BBF">
        <text value="BBF"/>
      </if>
      <else>
        <text value=""/>
      </else>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="publisher">
    <choose>
      <if variable="publisher">
        <text variable="publisher"/>
      </if>
      <else>
        <text variable="original-publisher"/>
      </else>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <citation>
    <!-- XXX This delimiter may not be ideal -->
    <layout delimiter="; ">
      <!-- XXX should remove this? it won't always be what we want -->
      <text variable="title-short" suffix=" "/>
      <group prefix="[" suffix="]">
        <text variable="locator" suffix="/"/>
        <text variable="citation-number"/>
      </group>
    </layout>
  </citation>
  <bibliography entry-spacing="0">
    <sort>
      <!-- XXX would prefer to use this but it doesn't work -->
      <key macro="publisher-is-bbf"/>
      <!-- XXX so am currently using this -->
      <key variable="original-publisher"/>
      <key variable="publisher"/>
      <key variable="call-number"/>
      <key variable="title"/>
    </sort>
    <layout>
      <text variable="citation-number" prefix="[" suffix="]"
            display="left-margin"/>
      <group delimiter=", " display="right-inline">
        <text variable="call-number" text-decoration="underline"/>
        <text variable="title" font-style="italic"/>
        <text macro="publisher"/>
        <date date-parts="year" form="text" variable="issued"/>
        <text variable="URL"/>
      </group>
    </layout>
  </bibliography>

* Re: Can a given publisher's citations be listed first?
       [not found] ` <CAEe_xxi5Q+BhE+O2EjfnYZAyF=_hr7HMcgKHcNKEYoFiJNSraw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-09-08 11:53   ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2023-09-08 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss

I would split my bibliography file in two and use the multiple-bibliographies filter. That's a sometimes irritating limitation of CSL: you can check if a variable is set, but not test its value.

@ 2023-09-08 12:03     ` 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]       ` <CAEe_xxhJ=OgH-FR9U5Q8H7guSuXufC3XxUfKiMVa+mZhjp45Sg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss @ 2023-09-08 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks! https://github.com/pandoc-ext/multibib I assume. I'll look into it.

@ 2023-09-11  9:59         ` 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]           ` <CAEe_xxgf_LcjS=Z=482ShAeMvMLdrmfHvYbEfMkVShcEuncROw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss @ 2023-09-11  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm hitting a (non-fatal but annoying) problem. The multibib filter first
runs citeproc to generate a list of all citations, then it reruns citeproc
once for each supplied bibliography file, and this generates warnings for
the citations in the _other_ bibliography files.

For example, the test in the repo works ... but apparently doesn't (and it
took me a while to realise this)!

% make
[WARNING] Citeproc: citation Bae not found
[WARNING] Citeproc: citation Knu86 not found
[WARNING] Citeproc: citation Bel not found
[WARNING] Citeproc: citation Nie72 not found

I think that the best way to avoid the warnings would be to capture and
ignore them, but I'd (much) rather do that only for the secondary citeproc
runs that are _expected_ to output warnings.

Is there a way to do this using the existing utils.citeproc() function? I
tried naively temporarily redefining io.stderr but perhaps that was never
going to work in the presumably-Haskell utils.citeproc().

Thanks,
William

@ 2023-09-11 10:11             ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2023-09-11 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss

Actually I meant this filter: https://github.com/pandoc/lua-filters/tree/master/multiple-bibliographies

It seems to be an older version of multibib, but I never had the problemm you report with it.

@ 2023-09-11 10:27               ` 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]                 ` <CAEe_xxgw3Ys_prePE_gxqJqe4HWZWW8CsrwyyY7Y2VovDD9crg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss @ 2023-09-11 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Ah, I took a look and it seems that they are basically the same
(multiple-bibliographies -> multibib in the transition to pandoc-ext) but
their commit histories look different so there's obviously a bit more to it.

Anyway, multiple-bibliographies avoids the problem by always running
citeproc as a JSON filter (via pandoc --citeproc for recent pandoc
versions) and passing the --quiet flag.

I guess I'll use multiple-biographies for now, and look into how best to
update pandoc-ext/multibib, which really should be the "official" version.

Any thoughts from anyone on whether utils.citeproc() could provide a
'quiet' argument (or equivalent)?

Thanks!

@ 2023-09-13 10:22                   ` 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]                     ` <CAEe_xxg92Yut7LZgw1+QrSW9EWxje5jVta6WAppctkfKsCxLDw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss @ 2023-09-13 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I've made some changes and created
https://github.com/pandoc-ext/multibib/pull/8 for discussion.

The changes in the PR work for my use case, but in fact I've decided to
stick with the 'original-publisher' approach that I mentioned earlier. I
control the necessary bibliography files and this approach doesn't require
any changes to documents.

I created https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/9077 to suggest a
utils.citeproc() 'quiet' flag.

@ 2023-10-06 14:50                       ` Bernardo C. D. A. Vasconcelos
       [not found]                         ` <76dc5598-cf59-4fee-b516-1ab7171fbe5en-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Bernardo C. D. A. Vasconcelos @ 2023-10-06 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

What does it mean to filter the bibliography per topic? I couldn't
understand how to use this using the new filter. Is the source file updated
to reflect it?

It sounds very interesting.

@ 2023-10-13 10:28                           ` 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]                             ` <CAEe_xxg4TLjd_Htgaws32VnYiBmCaH0tWtfcZecopf0jTBCY0A-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss @ 2023-10-13 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Perhaps the use of the word "topic" is causing confusion? I see that I used
this term in my PR (and it's used in the
https://github.com/pandoc-ext/multibib "about" text) but it's not used in
the README.md.

In this context, "topic" is really the same as "bibliography file". It's
assumed that you want to split your references into multiple topics, and
will use a separate bibliography file for each topic.

So in the
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pandoc-ext/multibib/main/test/input.md
example (pasted below) the two topics are "sources" and
"recommended-reading". I hope that this helps.

---
title: Multiple Bibliographies Demo
bibliography:
  sources: test/primary.bib