This probably won't be the answer that you wanted, but you could use a custom writer, e.g., based on the provided sample.lua. See https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#custom-writers. Here's the relevant code (this isn't all the code relating to footnotes, but it's the bit that has the special character!): function Note(s) local num = #notes + 1 -- insert the back reference right before the final closing tag. s = string.gsub( s, '(.*)' .. s .. '') -- return the footnote reference, linked to the note. return '' .. num .. '' end On Tue, 21 Sept 2021 at 13:23, Vin Cent wrote: > Ok, after some more reading, I'm still unsure how to proceed ; and I > actually don't see how I could to that with a filter. > I have dumped pandoc's native output format ; and the character I need to > replace is not part of it. I guess it is added at the time of pandoc's > writing the output document. > I don't know how how I can replace that character. Hopefully there is a > pandoc setting I can tune so that I won't need to replace it at some late > stage. > > > > On Tuesday, September 21, 2021 at 10:42:14 AM UTC+2 Vin Cent wrote: > >> Sorry for answering myself. I have RTFMed a bit in the while. >> I actually hint this can be simply done with a LUA filter. >> I will try to implement it as a self-exercice and report the result here. >> >> On Tuesday, September 21, 2021 at 9:34:26 AM UTC+2 Vin Cent wrote: >> >>> Hi, >>> >>> I am generating epub3 from latex source. >>> I was wondering why footnotes show a backlink to the original text when >>> I display the document in calibre, and why they do not when I display the >>> document on a kobo reader... >>> >>> ... until I found the backlink is indeed well present. It is "just" not >>> displayed by kobo because the character set (by pandoc, I think) has no >>> rendering on their font. >>> >>> The backlink character, copied and pasted from the .epub document >>> itself, seems to be "↩︎". >>> >>> I see two possible tricks here so that the link will appear on kobo : >>> 1. Change the character to another one that would be rendered by kobo. >>> 2. Change the default font of the document to one that has rendering for >>> that character. >>> >>> I have tried all available fonts on my device. There are actually three >>> classes of them. >>> (Listing them all below, this might be of interest to somebody in the >>> future) >>> >>> Avenir Next ; Georgia ; Kobo Nickel : these fonts render absolutely >>> nothing for that character, leading the human to believe the backlink does >>> not exist. It is present, clickable, just not rendered. >>> >>> Amasis ; Caecilia ; Gill Sans ; Malabar ; OpenDislexic : these fonts >>> render "__" for that character. I find it "better" than the first family, >>> but still not great. It is not obvious for a non-tehnical human that this >>> is a backlink to the text. >>> >>> AR UDJingxihei ; Kobo UD Kakugo ; Kobo Tsukishi Mincho : display >>> oriental character (I think this is chinese / japanese depending on font) >>> for the backlink character. >>> >>> >>> Therefore, I tend to favor the first solution. Do you guys know of a way >>> to customize the "backlink ↩︎" character set by pandoc in epub ? >>> Or is there a third approach ? >>> >>> Thanks, >>> >>> Vincent >>> >> -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "pandoc-discuss" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org > To view this discussion on the web visit > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/68257f93-0fd1-46a1-9e99-46d6045dc4b9n%40googlegroups.com > > . > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CAEe_xxiSZbwmOYcdd5nKSqySuF8L4tvPbrD%2B-kXDcONXu3n4hQ%40mail.gmail.com.