* Directories for lua filters
@ 2023-01-20 16:47 ChrisD
       [not found] ` <69d75ee2-5140-4415-2da7-aef9ff91df5f-4SSc53hpTiu9TMao6EloiEEOCMrvLtNR@public.gmane.org>
From: ChrisD @ 2023-01-20 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

What is the correct location for lua filters?

The pandoc manual says it will search for lua filters in $DATADIR/filters. However that doesn't work for me on Windows. What does work is:

1) The current working directory
2) $DATADIR/lua
3) <Location of pandoc.exe>/lua

The location of pandoc.exe for me is user/<username>/AppData/Local/Pandoc. This is on my path.

Is this an error in the manual, or do I have something configured wrong? It seems to me I must have read somewhere to use the lua sub-directory, but I can't find it anywhere online now.

* Re: Directories for lua filters
       [not found] ` <69d75ee2-5140-4415-2da7-aef9ff91df5f-4SSc53hpTiu9TMao6EloiEEOCMrvLtNR@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-01-20 17:14   ` ChrisD
       [not found]     ` <1f6a4484-4173-21b9-efcc-d7cd3867d4f7-4SSc53hpTiu9TMao6EloiEEOCMrvLtNR@public.gmane.org>
From: ChrisD @ 2023-01-20 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Sorry, this is my error.

Filters work when placed in
1) The current working directory
2) $DATADIR/filters
3) <Location of pandoc.exe>/lua

So the manual is correct, though it only specifies (2), not (1) or (3).

Sorry for the noise.

@ 2023-01-20 20:25       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]         ` <1B880D38-AC8E-40B2-A4D1-15B534F81C6F-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-01-20 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Manual definitely covers both 1 and 2: it says

In order of preference, pandoc will look for Lua filters in

	• a specified full or relative path,

	• $DATADIR/filters where $DATADIR is the user data directory (see --data-dir, above).

I wouldn’t expect 3 to work.  If it does, that’s quite unexpected.  Can anyone else reproduce this?

@ 2023-01-20 20:55           ` ChrisD
       [not found]             ` <9c6e0ddc-b18d-205f-0868-3eb1498848f4-4SSc53hpTiu9TMao6EloiEEOCMrvLtNR@public.gmane.org>
From: ChrisD @ 2023-01-20 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I researched this a little more. The lua "require" function searches paths using
     global variable LUA_PATH
     environment variable LUA_PATH
     a fixed path which is "easy to change when you compile lua"

I do not have either of the LUA_PATH values set.

Inside the interpreter, the search path is contained in package.path.
On my win 10/pandoc 3.0 install, package.path contains this string (I have split it across lines to be more readable):
     C:\USERS\<username>\APPDATA\LOCAL\PANDOC\lua\?.lua;
     C:\USERS\<username>\APPDATA\LOCAL\PANDOC\lua\?\init.lua;
     C:\USERS\<username>\APPDATA\LOCAL\PANDOC\?.lua;
     C:\USERS\<username>\APPDATA\LOCAL\PANDOC\?\init.lua;
C:\USERS\<username>\APPDATA\LOCAL\PANDOC\..\share\lua\5.4\?.lua;
C:\USERS\<username>\APPDATA\LOCAL\PANDOC\..\share\lua\5.4\?\init.lua;
     .\?.lua;
     .\?\init.lua

I'm surprised not to find
     C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\pandoc\filters
in that list.

But it looks like (3) is enabled by the first line of package.path. I have no clue how that gets set.

@ 2023-01-20 22:07               ` ChrisD
       [not found]                 ` <198fb70e-dafe-517c-2ca5-f8a9342be92e-4SSc53hpTiu9TMao6EloiEEOCMrvLtNR@public.gmane.org>
From: ChrisD @ 2023-01-20 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I hit send too soon. I'm confusing where Pandoc looks for .lua filters specified on the command line with where the lua interpreter looks for .lua files that are included with require functions. Pandoc looks where the manual says. Lua looks according to package.path.

This is all my errors. Sorry!

On 1/20/2023 1:55 PM, ChrisD wrote:
> I researched this a little more. The lua "require" function searches paths using
>     global variable LUA_PATH
>     environment variable LUA_PATH
>     a fixed path which is "easy to change when you compile lua"
>
> I do not have either of the LUA_PATH values set.
>
> Inside the interpreter, the search path is contained in package.path.
> On my win 10/pandoc 3.0 install, package.path contains this string (I have split it across lines to be more readable):
>     C:\USERS\<username>\APPDATA\LOCAL\PANDOC\lua\?.lua;
>     C:\USERS\<username>\APPDATA\LOCAL\PANDOC\lua\?\init.lua;
>     C:\USERS\<username>\APPDATA\LOCAL\PANDOC\?.lua;
>     C:\USERS\<username>\APPDATA\LOCAL\PANDOC\?\init.lua;
> C:\USERS\<username>\APPDATA\LOCAL\PANDOC\..\share\lua\5.4\?.lua;
> C:\USERS\<username>\APPDATA\LOCAL\PANDOC\..\share\lua\5.4\?\init.lua;
>     .\?.lua;
>     .\?\init.lua
>
> I'm surprised not to find
>     C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\pandoc\filters
> in that list.
>
> But it looks like (3) is enabled by the first line of package.path. I have no clue how that gets set.
>

> On 1/20/2023 1:25 PM, John MacFarlane wrote:
>> Manual definitely covers both 1 and 2: it says
>>
>> In order of preference, pandoc will look for Lua filters in
>>
>> • a specified full or relative path,
>>
>> • $DATADIR/filters where $DATADIR is the user data directory (see --data-dir, above).
>>
>> I wouldn’t expect 3 to work.  If it does, that’s quite unexpected.  Can anyone else reproduce this?
>>

>>> On Jan 20, 2023, at 9:14 AM, ChrisD <cd34-gg-4SSc53hpTiu9TMao6EloiEEOCMrvLtNR@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry, this is my error.
>>>
>>> Filters work when placed in
>>> 1) The current working directory