* Syntax for <mark>?
@ 2022-07-21 11:26 name name
       [not found] ` <282ad19d-eac8-40d0-a741-7f7ae41a7b20n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: name name @ 2022-07-21 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I need to mark some words/sentences in my text with yellow highligher.

I know I can do it by using something like

~~~
some [some text]{.highlighter} some text
some <span class="highlighter">some text</span> some text
~~~

But maybe there is syntax exactly for <mark> instead?

~~~
some ==some text== some text
some text <mark>some text</mark> some text
~~~

* Re: Syntax for <mark>?
       [not found] ` <282ad19d-eac8-40d0-a741-7f7ae41a7b20n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-07-21 11:29   ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]     ` <87pmhyd7lv.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-07-21 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

name name <ivan20151013-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I need to mark some words/sentences in my text with yellow highligher.
>
> I know I can do it by using something like
>
> ~~~
> some [some text]{.highlighter} some text
>
> some <span class="highlighter">some text</span> some text
> ~~~
>
> But maybe there is syntax exactly for <mark> instead?
>
> ~~~
> some ==some text== some text
>
> some text <mark>some text</mark> some text
> ~~~

You may be interested in this post of mine from last week:
https://groups.google.com/g/pandoc-discuss/c/D0bNr8rhuhk

You can also use `[some text]{.mark}` to get the desired HTML
output.

* Re: Syntax for <mark>?
       [not found]     ` <87pmhyd7lv.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-07-21 11:59       ` William Lupton
       [not found]         ` <CAEe_xxhSMiL13qZ3Y_xc8uYR-kxQQ-f8V+VzSSpgM1=Zsq74gg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: William Lupton @ 2022-07-21 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Albert, is .mark documented in the manual? I didn't see it. Presumably it
could/should have a short section near the existing underline and smallcaps
sections. Tx, W.

On Thu, 21 Jul 2022 at 12:32, Albert Krewinkel <albert+pandoc-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
wrote:

> name name <ivan20151013-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > I need to mark some words/sentences in my text with yellow highligher.
> >
> > I know I can do it by using something like
> >
> > ~~~
> > some [some text]{.highlighter} some text
> >
> > some <span class="highlighter">some text</span> some text
> > ~~~
> >
> > But maybe there is syntax exactly for <mark> instead?
> >
> > ~~~
> > some ==some text== some text
> >
> > some text <mark>some text</mark> some text
> > ~~~
>
> You may be interested in this post of mine from last week:
> https://groups.google.com/g/pandoc-discuss/c/D0bNr8rhuhk
>
> You can also use `[some text]{.mark}` to get the desired HTML
> output.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/87pmhyd7lv.fsf%40zeitkraut.de
> .

* Re: Syntax for <mark>?
       [not found]         ` <CAEe_xxhSMiL13qZ3Y_xc8uYR-kxQQ-f8V+VzSSpgM1=Zsq74gg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-07-21 12:57           ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]             ` <87h73ad3lk.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-07-21 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

William Lupton <wlupton-QSt+ys/nuMyEUIsrzH9SikB+6BGkLq7r@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Albert, is .mark documented in the manual? I didn't see it. Presumably
> it could/should have a short section near the existing underline and
> smallcaps sections. Tx, W.

I believe the only mention is in the changelog of version 2.8:

> Render a Span with class mark using the <mark> element (Florian
> Beeres, #5797).

You are probably right about having this documented, although the line
between feature and implementation detail is a bit blurry here. Would
you like to create a PR?

--
Albert Krewinkel

* Re: Syntax for <mark>?
       [not found]             ` <87h73ad3lk.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-07-21 13:13               ` jmuc...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
       [not found]                 ` <860e29b8-0e75-4a89-92c5-205b7b5a48den-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: jmuc...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2022-07-21 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I took a stab at this. PR #8191.
On Thursday, 21 July 2022 at 08:58:55 UTC-4 Albert Krewinkel wrote:

> William Lupton <wlu...-QSt+ys/nuMyEUIsrzH9SikB+6BGkLq7r@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > Albert, is .mark documented in the manual? I didn't see it. Presumably
> > it could/should have a short section near the existing underline and
> > smallcaps sections. Tx, W.
>
> I believe the only mention is in the changelog of version 2.8:
>
> > Render a Span with class mark using the <mark> element (Florian
> > Beeres, #5797).
>
> You are probably right about having this documented, although the line
> between feature and implementation detail is a bit blurry here. Would
> you like to create a PR?
>
> --
> Albert Krewinkel
> GPG: 8eed e3e2 e8c5 6f18 81fe e836 388d c0b2 1f63 1124

* Re: Syntax for <mark>?
       [not found]                 ` <860e29b8-0e75-4a89-92c5-205b7b5a48den-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-07-21 13:37                   ` William Lupton
       [not found]                     ` <CAEe_xxi5QbA__V0JVFptVCpdkgjRr8jhSq0VBfkfPNZKB8Xwag-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: William Lupton @ 2022-07-21 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

OK.

Does that description imply that this only works for HTML output? If so
then that's different from underline and small caps, which both say:

This will work in all output formats that support XXX.

On Thu, 21 Jul 2022 at 14:13, jmuc...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org <jmuccigr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I took a stab at this. PR #8191.
> On Thursday, 21 July 2022 at 08:58:55 UTC-4 Albert Krewinkel wrote:
>
>> William Lupton <wlu...-QSt+ys/nuMyEUIsrzH9SikB+6BGkLq7r@public.gmane.org> writes:
>>
>> > Albert, is .mark documented in the manual? I didn't see it. Presumably
>> > it could/should have a short section near the existing underline and
>> > smallcaps sections. Tx, W.
>>
>> I believe the only mention is in the changelog of version 2.8:
>>
>> > Render a Span with class mark using the <mark> element (Florian
>> > Beeres, #5797).
>>
>> You are probably right about having this documented, although the line
>> between feature and implementation detail is a bit blurry here. Would
>> you like to create a PR?
>>
>> --
>> Albert Krewinkel
>> GPG: 8eed e3e2 e8c5 6f18 81fe e836 388d c0b2 1f63 1124
>>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/860e29b8-0e75-4a89-92c5-205b7b5a48den%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/860e29b8-0e75-4a89-92c5-205b7b5a48den%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

* Re: Syntax for <mark>?
@ 2022-07-22 10:17                       ` BPJ
       [not found]                         ` <CADAJKhAuoU2Oh_Fp_Wu=8oQ35CcAYsxMSkd_1gpwRNFgnM0KUg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2022-07-22 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I guess you can always use a good old markup injection filter, like the one
attached.

Den tors 21 juli 2022 15:38William Lupton <wlupton-QSt+ys/nuMyEUIsrzH9SikB+6BGkLq7r@public.gmane.org>
skrev:

> OK.
>
> Does that description imply that this only works for HTML output? If so
> then that's different from underline and small caps, which both say:
>
> This will work in all output formats that support XXX.
>
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2022 at 14:13, jmuc...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org <jmuccigr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
>

>> I took a stab at this. PR #8191.

>>> I believe the only mention is in the changelog of version 2.8:

>>> You are probably right about having this documented, although the line
>>> between feature and implementation detail is a bit blurry here. Would
>>> you like to create a PR?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Albert Krewinkel
>>> GPG: 8eed e3e2 e8c5 6f18 81fe e836 388d c0b2 1f63 1124
>>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/860e29b8-0e75-4a89-92c5-205b7b5a48den%40googlegroups.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/860e29b8-0e75-4a89-92c5-205b7b5a48den%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .
>>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CAEe_xxi5QbA__V0JVFptVCpdkgjRr8jhSq0VBfkfPNZKB8Xwag%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CAEe_xxi5QbA__V0JVFptVCpdkgjRr8jhSq0VBfkfPNZKB8Xwag%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

[-- Attachment #2: mark.lua --]

-- Wrap a Pandoc Span with class `.mark` in highlighting markup

--[===[
## Customization

You can add markup for more output formats to the mark4format table if
and as you need. The top level table keys are Pandoc format names.
The value for each format is a table with up to three fields:

-   `pre`: the markup which should go before the Span, e.g `<mark>` in html.
-   `post`:  the markup which should go after the Span, e.g `</mark>` in html.
-   `no_loners`: a boolean indicating whether the filter should leave it to
    Pandoc to handle Spans with just a `.mark` class.
    This should only be useful for html.

You can leave out those fields which are not needed for a format.
For ease of implementation the filter will insert an empty RawInline
for a missing `pre` or `post`. This shouldn't be a problem.

## Examples

    $ cat mark-example.md
    [foo]{.mark}
    [foo]{.bar .mark}
    [foo]{.mark bar=baz}
    [foo]{#bar .mark}
    [foo]{.bar}

    $ pandoc -L mark.lua mark-example.md -w html

    $ pandoc -L mark.lua mark-example.md -w latex
    \colorbox[named]{yellow}{foo}
    \colorbox[named]{yellow}{{foo}}
    \colorbox[named]{yellow}{{foo}}
    \colorbox[named]{yellow}{\protect\hypertarget{bar}{}{foo}}
    {foo}

## Important note

Pandoc's html writer automatically replaces any `<span>` where the
*first* class is `.mark` with a `<mark>` but it doesn't do so
if `.mark` is a non-first class, so the second span in my example breaks:

    $ pandoc mark-example.md -w html
    <mark data-bar="baz">foo</mark>
    <mark id="bar">foo</mark>

I consider this a nasty misfeature/bug because the order of classes
should not matter, so this filter works around this by removing any
`.mark` class and preserving any class which has other attributes.
If you think that having to take care that `.mark` is the first class
is a reasonable price to pay comment out the html entry in the
mark4format table or do not use this filter for html output.

## License

This software is Copyright (c) 2022 by Benct Philip Jonsson.

This is free software, licensed under:

  The MIT (X11) License

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php

--]===]

local mark4format = {
  latex = {
    -- Make sure your template loads the xcolor package!
    pre  = "\\colorbox[named]{yellow}{",
    post = '}',
  },
  html = {
    pre = '<mark>',
    post = '</mark>',
    no_loners = true
  },
}

for _,fmt in ipairs{'html5'} do
  mark4format[fmt] = mark4format.htmo
end

-- Does a class have a single class as only attribute?
local function has_lone_class (elem)
  if not elem.attr then return nil end
  if 1 == #elem.classes then
    if "" == elem.identifier then
      if 0 == #elem.attributes then
        return true
      end
    end
  end
  return false
end

local function is_not_mark (it) return 'mark' ~= it end

local mark = mark4format[FORMAT]

if mark then
  pre  = pandoc.RawInline(FORMAT, mark.pre or "")
  post = pandoc.RawInline(FORMAT, mark.post or "")
  no_loners = mark.no_loners
  function Span (span)
    if span.classes:includes('mark') then
      local rv
      -- Optionally disembowel the span
      if has_lone_class(span) then
        if no_loners then return nil end
        rv = span.content
      else
        -- remove existing .mark class(es)
        span.classes = span.classes:filter(is_not_mark)
        rv = pandoc.Inlines(span)
      end
      rv:insert(1, pre) -- prepend markup
      rv:insert(post)   -- append markup