From: "'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss" <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: Assigning identifiers to definition items
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 10:50:01 +0000	[thread overview]

BTW, sorry for failing to read your original message properly!

Right. The auto-identifiers.lua filter is not yet in pandoc-ext, but I'll
look into adding it. Note that it doesn't remove the need to add an
identifier (it just derives the identifier from the content).

I think that auto-defined identifiers are only appropriate for terms, not
for definitions, but you could use a filter such as the one shown below to
auto-add identifiers to definitions if their terms have identifiers. Using
this input (based on Bastien's):

[Term 1]{#t1}

: Definition 1

: Definition 2

Term 2

: Definition 1

Here Term 1 has [this meaning](#t1-def2).

gives this HTML:

<dl>
<dd>
</dd>
<dd>
</dd>
<dt>Term 2</dt>
<dd>
</dd>
</dl>

The filter:

function DefinitionList(list)
    local changed = false
    for _, item in ipairs(list.content) do
        local term = item[1]
        local defs = item[2]
        if (#term > 0 and term[1].tag == 'Span' and
            #term[1].attr.identifier > 0) then
            local term_id = term[1].attr.identifier
            for i, def in ipairs(defs) do
                if #def > 0 then
                    local def_id = string.format('%s-def%s', term_id, i)
                    def[1].content:insert(
                        1, pandoc.Span({}, pandoc.Attr(def_id)))
                    changed = true
                end
            end
        end