From: "'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss" <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: putting stuff side by side
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 23:28:56 +0100	[thread overview]

For completeness, I should mention that (for HTML or for PDF created via
HTML) you can use the CSS 'float' property. However I think that the
list-table approach is probably better.

You can structure the markdown like this (here I've put the necessary CSS
in the header includes). See the attached .md and .html files.

---
title: Paper 1.1

header-includes: |
  div.left {
    width: 49%;
    float: left;
  }

  div.right {
    width: 49%;
    float: right;
  }

  div.clear {
    clear: both;
  }

## Section 1 of 13

::: {.left .OldEnglish}

AFTER an unequivocal experience of the inefficiency of the subsisting
federal government, you are called upon to deliberate on a new Constitution
for the United States of America.

:::

::: {.right .ModernEnglish}

After clearly experiencing that the current federal government isn't
working well, you are asked to think about a new Constitution for the
United States of America.

:::

::: clear
:::