* EPUB files crash my e-book reader
@ 2021-04-29  9:17 Gilles
       [not found] ` <6056bed7-8403-6397-dbba-363889d433f8-GANU6spQydw@public.gmane.org>
From: Gilles @ 2021-04-29  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hello,

I used the following commands to turn a couple of web pages into EPUB to
read on my no-name reader:

wget -O mypage.html http://www.acme.com/somepage.html
pandoc.2.9.2.1.exe -o mypage.epub mypage.html

(Until I gather the courage of installing a new, 64-bit computer and
re-installing all my stuff, that is the most recent release of Pando I
can use because I'm still running 32-bit Windows7.)

For some reason, those two URLs freeze my reader after turning them into
EPUB files, although they open fin in Windows using SumatraPDF :

https://www.vox.com/22346085/covid-19-vietnam-response-travel-restrictions
https://www.vox.com/22380161/south-korea-covid-19-coronavirus-pandemic-contact-tracing-testing

I haven't experienced that with other files, be they EPUB or PDF.

Any idea what I could try in the meantime ?

Thank you.

* Re: EPUB files crash my e-book reader
       [not found] ` <6056bed7-8403-6397-dbba-363889d433f8-GANU6spQydw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-04-29 12:07   ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]     ` <87lf91e1la.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2021-04-29 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The only thing I can think of is to try and use EPUB2 instead of EPUB3.
Maybe the reader doesn't like some EPUB3 feature that's triggered by
these websites? Try this:

    pandoc -o mypage.epub -t epub2 mypage.html

HTH,
Albert

--
Albert Krewinkel

@ 2021-04-29 12:24       ` Gilles
From: Gilles @ 2021-04-29 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks but… same issue.

There's something in those HTML pages: I haven't had the problem after
converting other web pages into EPUB with Pandoc, and reading them on my
reader.

@ 2021-04-29 16:01   ` dmccunney
From: dmccunney @ 2021-04-29 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

<privately>

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 5:17 AM Gilles <codecomplete-GANU6spQydw@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I used the following commands to turn a couple of web pages into EPUB to
> read on my no-name reader:

Just what no-name reader is it?  The problem sounds like the ePub
reader is embedded in the reader firmware, and leaves something to be
desired in the case of standards compliance.  If that's the case, this
is not a problem that can be solved on Pandoc's side. The reader
itself needs an update.

Can you provide a pointer to where you got it? One option, if the
reader has the option to side load external software is to loas a
different view that will override the default.
______
Dennis