* Request for .mobi input
@ 2018-02-07 17:20 David Macfarlane
       [not found] ` <3ec97804-2145-47d6-9311-1e834333d2b7-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: David Macfarlane @ 2018-02-07 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

It would be helpful if pandoc could read .mobi files for conversion into
.epub or whatever.

I have pandoc v 2.1.1 and I tried .mobi input and it failed with "pandoc:
Cannot decode byte '\x88': Data.Text.Internal.Encoding.decodeUtf8: Invalid
UTF-8 stream". I checked the documentation and it doesn't look like .mobi
input is supported (yet).

* Re: Request for .mobi input
       [not found] ` <3ec97804-2145-47d6-9311-1e834333d2b7-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-02-07 17:23   ` Fred Zimmerman
From: Fred Zimmerman @ 2018-02-07 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+1
ᐧ

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 12:20 PM, David Macfarlane <dmac-HuPk6NEp4MX2eFz/2MeuCQ@public.gmane.org>
wrote:

> It would be helpful if pandoc could read .mobi files for conversion into
> .epub or whatever.
>
> I have pandoc v 2.1.1 and I tried .mobi input and it failed with "pandoc:
> Cannot decode byte '\x88': Data.Text.Internal.Encoding.decodeUtf8:
> Invalid UTF-8 stream". I checked the documentation and it doesn't look like
> .mobi input is supported (yet).
>
> --
> msgid/pandoc-discuss/3ec97804-2145-47d6-9311-1e834333d2b7%
> 40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/3ec97804-2145-47d6-9311-1e834333d2b7%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

* Re: Request for .mobi input
       [not found] ` <3ec97804-2145-47d6-9311-1e834333d2b7-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-02-07 17:24   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2018-02-07 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Your best bet is to find something that converts mobi to
epub, then use pandoc to convert that.

mobi is discontinued and I don't think it's worth our effort
to support it.

+++ David Macfarlane [Feb 07 18 09:20 ]:
>   It would be helpful if pandoc could read .mobi files for conversion
>   into .epub or whatever.
>   I have pandoc v 2.1.1 and I tried .mobi input and it failed with
>   "pandoc: Cannot decode byte '\x88':
>   Data.Text.Internal.Encoding.decodeUtf8: Invalid UTF-8 stream". I
>   checked the documentation and it doesn't look like .mobi input is
>   supported (yet).
>
>   --
>   To view this discussion on the web visit
>   [3]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/3ec97804-2145-47d6-
>   9311-1e834333d2b7%40googlegroups.com.
>
>References

>   2. mailto:pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
>   3. https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/3ec97804-2145-47d6-9311-1e834333d2b7-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>   4. https://groups.google.com/d/optout

* Re: Request for .mobi input
       [not found] ` <3ec97804-2145-47d6-9311-1e834333d2b7-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-02-07 17:32   ` dmccunney
       [not found]     ` <CAF4AJDyOei=MrvTo3=hS2C_Q4=G5L7na=pv4f+kxFnv8S0o0Zg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: dmccunney @ 2018-02-07 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 12:20 PM, David Macfarlane <dmac-HuPk6NEp4MX2eFz/2MeuCQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> It would be helpful if pandoc could read .mobi files for conversion into
> .epub or whatever.
>
> I have pandoc v 2.1.1 and I tried .mobi input and it failed with "pandoc:
> Cannot decode byte '\x88': Data.Text.Internal.Encoding.decodeUtf8: Invalid
> UTF-8 stream". I checked the documentation and it doesn't look like .mobi
> input is supported (yet).

Calibre (https://calibre-ebook.com) handles Mobi->ePub conversions.
Its primary purpose is to create and maintain an eBook database, but
it converts between supported formats. Calibre is written in Python,
and cross-platform, available for Windows, Linux, and OS/X.

I haven't tried it, but I believe the conversion can be done from the
command line, calling the conversion module directly instead of going
through the GUI.

(I've converted files I got in Mobi format to ePub without issue.)
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519

* Re: Request for .mobi input
       [not found]     ` <CAF4AJDyOei=MrvTo3=hS2C_Q4=G5L7na=pv4f+kxFnv8S0o0Zg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-02-07 17:45       ` Fred Zimmerman
       [not found]         ` <CAJ4fGLtvWGW30OwP3sBCVAR+567nyx4y6OikY7CVVx+4Uh4pNQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Fred Zimmerman @ 2018-02-07 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The calibre command for converting mobi to epub is ebook-convert, and yes,
it works, although not 100% -- sometimes heading structure doesn't come
across correctly in the output document.
ᐧ

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 12:32 PM, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 12:20 PM, David Macfarlane <dmac-HuPk6NEp4MX2eFz/2MeuCQ@public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
> > It would be helpful if pandoc could read .mobi files for conversion into
> > .epub or whatever.
> >
> > I have pandoc v 2.1.1 and I tried .mobi input and it failed with "pandoc:
> > Cannot decode byte '\x88': Data.Text.Internal.Encoding.decodeUtf8:
> Invalid
> > UTF-8 stream". I checked the documentation and it doesn't look like .mobi
> > input is supported (yet).
>
> Calibre (https://calibre-ebook.com) handles Mobi->ePub conversions.
> Its primary purpose is to create and maintain an eBook database, but
> it converts between supported formats. Calibre is written in Python,
> and cross-platform, available for Windows, Linux, and OS/X.
>
> I haven't tried it, but I believe the conversion can be done from the
> command line, calling the conversion module directly instead of going
> through the GUI.
>
> (I've converted files I got in Mobi format to ePub without issue.)
> ______
> Dennis
> https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
>
> --
> msgid/pandoc-discuss/CAF4AJDyOei%3DMrvTo3%3DhS2C_Q4%3DG5L7na%3Dpv4f%
> 2BkxFnv8S0o0Zg%40mail.gmail.com.

* Re: Request for .mobi input
       [not found]         ` <CAJ4fGLtvWGW30OwP3sBCVAR+567nyx4y6OikY7CVVx+4Uh4pNQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-02-07 17:51           ` dmccunney