* Smart seems not the same of --smart
@ 2017-12-09 18:15 Mario Valle
       [not found] ` <3b130b4c-1993-468b-b605-23bc04c8bc16-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Mario Valle @ 2017-12-09 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

In 1.19.2.1 I was using --smart in the conversion from docx to markdown.
Now with 2.0.4 I don't know how to use the smart extension to have the same
effect, that is, to convert normal quotes into smart ones. Here is my
command line:
pandoc -f docx --atx-headers --wrap=none --extract-media=. -t markdown
MyFile.docx
The input docx file contains normal quotes and three dots from a paste of a
text file (example attached). It contains also normal smart quotes
introduced by Word.
if I use -t markdown-smart everything remains as is in the docx file.
Instead using -t markdown or -t markdown+smart , as documented, changes
"aa" to \"aa\" and smart quotes to normal quotes. Also, as documented,
adding +smart to docx has no effect.
Can someone enlighten me how to ask pandoc to change normal quotes to smart
ones?
Thanks!
mario

[-- Attachment #2: ex.docx --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document, Size: 12450 bytes --]

* Re: Smart seems not the same of --smart
       [not found] ` <3b130b4c-1993-468b-b605-23bc04c8bc16-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-12-10  3:42   ` Mario Valle
       [not found]     ` <6936cf4f-665b-47e6-8895-4efaa226709b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Mario Valle @ 2017-12-10  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

smart works going in the other direction from markdown to docx:
pandoc -f markdown+smart -o ex2.docx ex.md
Besides devising a monster pipeline (docx -> md | md+smart -> docx | docx
-> md-smart)
is there other ways to convert normal to smart quotes?
Thanks for looking!
mario

@ 2017-12-10 18:36       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]         ` <20171210183631.GB600-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-12-10 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+smart doesn't affect the docx reader at all.  Jesse
Rosenthal might be able to say more about this decision, but
I imagine it's because Word already has a smart quote
feature, converting straight to curly quotes on the fly, so
the assumption is that straight quotes are there because
they're wanted (like an escaped \" in markdown).

+++ Mario Valle [Dec 09 17 19:42 ]:

@ 2017-12-11  9:36           ` siliconvalley58-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
       [not found]             ` <385b120d-0fa4-e68b-084b-05b736477c53-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: siliconvalley58-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w @ 2017-12-11  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, John MacFarlane

Now understand. Thanks!
Seems mine is a misplaced expectation.

Could I promote the issue to feature request?
Something like an extension called force-smart that converts every quote
and every ... to the typographic form.
It is quite common for me to find non-typographic sign in Word documents
due to pasting a plain text to Word.

Thanks again
                                 mario

On 10-Dec-17 19:36, John MacFarlane wrote:
> +smart doesn't affect the docx reader at all.  Jesse
> Rosenthal might be able to say more about this decision, but
> I imagine it's because Word already has a smart quote
> feature, converting straight to curly quotes on the fly, so
> the assumption is that straight quotes are there because
> they're wanted (like an escaped \" in markdown).
>
> +++ Mario Valle [Dec 09 17 19:42 ]:
>>   smart works going in the other direction from markdown to docx:
>>   pandoc -f markdown+smart -o ex2.docx ex.md
>>   Besides devising a monster pipeline (docx -> md | md+smart -> docx |
>>   docx -> md-smart)
>>   is there other ways to convert normal to smart quotes?
>>   Thanks for looking!
>>   mario
>>
>>   --
>>   To view this discussion on the web visit
>> [3]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/6936cf4f-665b-47e6-
>>   8895-4efaa226709b%40googlegroups.com.
>>
>> References

>>   2. mailto:pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
>>   3.
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/6936cf4f-665b-47e6-8895-4efaa226709b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>>   4. https://groups.google.com/d/optout

--

Ing. Mario Valle
Swiss National Supercomputing Centre (CSCS)

@ 2017-12-11 15:37               ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-12-11 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ siliconvalley58-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org [Dec 11 17 10:36 ]:
>Now understand. Thanks!
>Seems mine is a misplaced expectation.
>
>Could I promote the issue to feature request?
>Something like an extension called force-smart that converts every
>quote and every ... to the typographic form.
>It is quite common for me to find non-typographic sign in Word
>documents due to pasting a plain text to Word.

If the maintainer of the docx reader wants to add support
for the `smart` extension, that could be done.  One wouldn't
need a new extension.  But I'm not sure it's worth it.

@ 2017-12-12  9:36       ` BP Jonsson
From: BP Jonsson @ 2017-12-12  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw