* PDF Fails to build with some of the standard Latex colours
@ 2017-02-08 11:59 'Norman Dunbar' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found] ` <fc5baadd-1fef-4935-9909-f7fddd8f1baf-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
       [not found] ` <CAFC_yuRbQS_zDe9Xhs3Qe8YL-oDAZ4ybN3HYiLzkyupYzcAZow@mail.gmail.com>
From: 'Norman Dunbar' via pandoc-discuss @ 2017-02-08 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Good Morning all,

I have searched the archives for a solution, I've read the user guide and
googled for help, but to no avail I'm afraid.

My system is as follows:

   - Pandoc version 1.19.1 on Windows 7 64 bit.
   - MiKTeX version 2.9 installed (for pdflatex, latex etc)

When I attempt to run the following command, to convert Markdown to PDF, I
get an illegal color message:

pandoc -f markdown  -o README.pdf README.md --variable papersize=a4 --toc --variable
urlcolor=maroon

The error displayed is:

! LaTeX Error: Undefined color `maroon'.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.152 ...ps://github.com/NormanDunbar/TraceMiner2}

pandoc: Error producing PDF

I tried with all the standard colours mentioned on the page
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Colors#Predefined_colors as linked from
the Pandoc manual, and only the following (in lowercase) will work:

   - Black
   - Blue
   - Cyan
   - Green
   - Red
   - White
   - Yellow

But the manual states that all of the ones listed will work. All of the
following give the same errors as above:

   - Brown
   - Darkgray
   - Gray
   - LightGray
   - Lime
   - Olive
   - Orange
   - Pink
   - Purple
   - Teal
   - Violet

And I am using the colour names in lower case each time, but I've tried
upper case, mixed case, wrapped in double quotes, single quotes - nothing
appears to have worked.

Appreciate any help, especially pointers to whatever I have missed out
there on the WWW. Thanks.

Cheers,
Norm.

* Re: PDF Fails to build with some of the standard Latex colours
       [not found] ` <fc5baadd-1fef-4935-9909-f7fddd8f1baf-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-02-08 12:17   ` 'Norman Dunbar' via pandoc-discuss
From: 'Norman Dunbar' via pandoc-discuss @ 2017-02-08 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

> Further information:

the markdown source line it's complaining about is the first one in the
file that has a URL in it, as follows:

Go to <https://github.com/NormanDunbar/TraceMiner2> and click the clone or
download button. Choose the option to download a zip file.

@ 2017-02-08 15:13   ` Václav Haisman
       [not found]     ` <CAKw7uVjSU83G5Ntc5kuSCTGrRH0hZF_xyU_2Jj8c2=WmHS0bpA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Václav Haisman @ 2017-02-08 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On 8 February 2017 at 12:59, ‘Norman Dunbar’ via pandoc-discuss <
pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org> wrote:

Good Morning all,

> I have searched the archives for a solution, I've read the user guide and
> googled for help, but to no avail I'm afraid.
>
> My system is as follows:
>
>    - Pandoc version 1.19.1 on Windows 7 64 bit.
>    - MiKTeX version 2.9 installed (for pdflatex, latex etc)
>

> When I attempt to run the following command, to convert Markdown to PDF, I
> get an illegal color message:
>
> pandoc -f markdown  -o README.pdf README.md --variable papersize=a4 --toc
> --variable urlcolor=maroon
>
> ​I think that the issue is that “maroon” is only available from xcolor
package. The default.latex template does not import xcolor and only assumes
color is imported by other packages.

​
--
VH

@ 2017-02-08 15:16       ` Václav Haisman
From: Václav Haisman @ 2017-02-08 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On 8 February 2017 at 16:13, Václav Haisman <vhaisman-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

On 8 February 2017 at 12:59, ‘Norman Dunbar’ via pandoc-discuss <
> pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> Good Morning all,
>>
>> I have searched the archives for a solution, I've read the user guide and
>> googled for help, but to no avail I'm afraid.
>>
>> My system is as follows:
>>
>>    - Pandoc version 1.19.1 on Windows 7 64 bit.
>>    - MiKTeX version 2.9 installed (for pdflatex, latex etc)
>>

>> When I attempt to run the following command, to convert Markdown to PDF,
>> I get an illegal color message:
>>
>> pandoc -f markdown  -o README.pdf README.md --variable papersize=a4 --toc
>> --variable urlcolor=maroon
>>
>> ​I think that the issue is that “maroon” is only available from xcolor
> package. The default.latex template does not import xcolor and only
> assumes color is imported by other packages.

​And now I have noticed I was wrong and “Maroon” is used in the template.
Sorry for the noise.​

​
--
VH

* Re: PDF Fails to build with some of the standard Latex colours
       [not found]     ` <CAFC_yuTZ1-q15MQ0H0jOwJG_DfpfH0nXwMXf5aRevtJV=b-nDQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-02-08 17:35       ` BP Jonsson
       [not found]         ` <CAFC_yuRpBHfHkHzTMjd4w-oCUrb594Fb0eV+hkMzc7m-BbT8jw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BP Jonsson @ 2017-02-08 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I think the color name needs to be capitalized: "Maroon" and not "maroon".
I do that error rather often.

/bpj

Den 8 feb 2017 12:59 skrev "'Norman Dunbar' via pandoc-discuss" <

@ 2017-02-09 10:30           ` 'Norman Dunbar' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]             ` <254227e3-3d24-4aa4-8674-8025fd54f18b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Norman Dunbar' via pandoc-discuss @ 2017-02-09 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Morning All,

@VJ and @BPJ - thank you for your replies. Very helpful. In fact, solved!

My problem appears to be that I do need to use the exact letter case of the
nice multi coloured table shown on the linked page (
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Colors#Predefined_colors) I was
actually thinking that I could only use the basic colours listed above the
table. However, thanks to @BPJ, I see that I can use the xcolor package's
colours, and they do work as expected.

I was certain that I had tried upper case, lower case and mixed case, but
obvioulsy, only with an illegal colour - I was intending to use lightgray
or darkgray for my links, but those are not permitted in any letter case,
so I failed miserably. I should have tried some others too.

Strangely, "blue" and "blue" are acceptable, "brown" fails, but "Brown"
will work. Ah well, I'll just use the correct letter casing and I should
survive!

Once again, many thanks.

Oh, and also a huge thank you to John M for Pandoc. I use it to create all
sorts of documents here at work where the accepted requirement is for Word
"docx" format documents, but Word has a nasty tendency to destroy whatever
formatting I use if I dare to rub something out etc. With Pandoc and a
reference "docx" file, (almost) everything just works. I am most impressed.
If only I could figure out how to get inline code stuff to render as per my
style, life would be prefect! ;-)

@ 2017-02-09 19:51               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                 ` <20170209195126.GA18015-l/d5Ua9yGnz4dOG0aB8Qgv8+0UxHXcjY@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-02-09 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Norman Dunbar' via pandoc-discuss

+++ 'Norman Dunbar' via pandoc-discuss [Feb 09 17 02:30 ]:
>   works. I am most impressed. If only I could figure out how to get
>   inline code stuff to render as per my style, life would be prefect! ;-)

I'm hoping that with the next release you'll be able to
specify a custom syntax highlighting theme using a
JSON file.  The code is mostly there in the new skylighting
library; we just need to implement the options in pandoc:

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/3334

@ 2017-02-10  8:08                   ` 'Norman Dunbar' via pandoc-discuss
From: 'Norman Dunbar' via pandoc-discuss @ 2017-02-10  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss