* Headings in Tamil with Noto Sans Tamil and PDF output
@ 2018-07-30 14:09 R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
       [not found] ` <7b2be838-a733-17bb-8a23-90dc47957ad9-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2018-07-30 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

In a bilingual, English-Tamil test document, I have the following
Markdown text:

From: John MacFarlane @ 2018-07-30 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar, pandoc-discuss

"R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar" <chyavana-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
writes:

> 1. Why is only the first word of the section heading in bold in the PDF
> output whereas it appears correctly in the HTML5 output?

I would use --verbose and examine the intermediate
LaTeX to see if that gives any clues.

@ 2018-07-31 11:33   ` Pablo Rodríguez
       [not found]     ` <f81b611b-7fb0-4f19-3544-ef809d2eba97-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2018-07-31 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 07/30/2018 04:09 PM, R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar wrote:
> In a bilingual, English-Tamil test document, I have the following
> Markdown text:
> [...]
> When compiled by pandoc to give PDF and HTML5 output, I get the outputs
> shown in the two attached images: section-heading-pdf.png and
> section-heading-html.png respectively.
>
> 1. Why is only the first word of the section heading in bold in the PDF
> output whereas it appears correctly in the HTML5 output?

Hi Chandra,

your title:

  ## இது தமிழில் ஒரு தலைப்பு

is converted to LaTeX as:

\hypertarget{uxb87uxba4-uxba4uxbaeuxbb4uxbb2-uxb92uxbb0-uxba4uxbb2uxbaauxbaa}{\subsection{இது
தமிழில் ஒரு
தலைப்பு}\label{uxb87uxba4-uxba4uxbaeuxbb4uxbb2-uxb92uxbb0-uxba4uxbb2uxbaauxbaa}}

I’m afraid that I don’t have LaTeX installed, so I attach the output from
LaTeX.

> 2. What should I do to get the whole heading in bold in the PDF output?

I wonder whether ucharclasses has problems with spaces for certain scripts.

It is only a guess, but you might check it replicating the last
paragraph in your document in italic, bold and bold italic.

Just in case it might help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

[-- Attachment #2: tamil.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex; name="tamil.tex", Size: 2565 bytes --]

\documentclass[british,a4paper,12pt]{article}
\usepackage{lmodern}
\usepackage{amssymb,amsmath}
\usepackage{ifxetex,ifluatex}
\usepackage{fixltx2e} % provides \textsubscript
\ifnum 0\ifxetex 1\fi\ifluatex 1\fi=0 % if pdftex
  \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
  \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\else % if luatex or xelatex
  \usepackage{unicode-math}
  \defaultfontfeatures{Ligatures=TeX,Scale=MatchLowercase}
\fi
% use upquote if available, for straight quotes in verbatim environments
\IfFileExists{upquote.sty}{\usepackage{upquote}}{}
% use microtype if available
\IfFileExists{microtype.sty}{%
\usepackage[]{microtype}
\UseMicrotypeSet[protrusion]{basicmath} % disable protrusion for tt fonts
}{}
\PassOptionsToPackage{hyphens}{url} % url is loaded by hyperref
\usepackage[unicode=true]{hyperref}
\hypersetup{
            pdftitle={Section Heading Test},
            pdfborder={0 0 0},
            breaklinks=true}
\urlstyle{same}  % don't use monospace font for urls
\ifnum 0\ifxetex 1\fi\ifluatex 1\fi=0 % if pdftex
  \usepackage[shorthands=off,main=british]{babel}
\else
  \usepackage{polyglossia}
  \setmainlanguage[variant=british]{english}
\fi
\IfFileExists{parskip.sty}{%
\usepackage{parskip}
}{% else
\setlength{\parindent}{0pt}
\setlength{\parskip}{6pt plus 2pt minus 1pt}
}
\setlength{\emergencystretch}{3em}  % prevent overfull lines
\providecommand{\tightlist}{%
  \setlength{\itemsep}{0pt}\setlength{\parskip}{0pt}}
\setcounter{secnumdepth}{0}
% Redefines (sub)paragraphs to behave more like sections
\ifx\paragraph\undefined\else
\let\oldparagraph\paragraph
\renewcommand{\paragraph}[1]{\oldparagraph{#1}\mbox{}}
\fi
\ifx\subparagraph\undefined\else
\let\oldsubparagraph\subparagraph
\renewcommand{\subparagraph}[1]{\oldsubparagraph{#1}\mbox{}}
\fi

% set default figure placement to htbp
\makeatletter
\def\fps@figure{htbp}
\makeatother

\usepackage[Latin,Tamil]{ucharclasses}
\setmainfont[Script=Latin]{Noto Serif}
\newfontfamily\tamilfont[Script=Tamil]{Noto Sans Tamil}
\setTransitionsFor{Tamil}{\tamilfont}{\normalfont}
\thispagestyle{empty}

\title{Section Heading Test}
\date{}

\begin{document}
\maketitle

\hypertarget{this-is-a-heading-in-english}{%
\subsection{This is a heading in
English}\label{this-is-a-heading-in-english}}

This is normal text.

\hypertarget{uxb87uxba4-uxba4uxbaeuxbb4uxbb2-uxb92uxbb0-uxba4uxbb2uxbaauxbaa}{%
\subsection{இது தமிழில் ஒரு
தலைப்பு}\label{uxb87uxba4-uxba4uxbaeuxbb4uxbb2-uxb92uxbb0-uxba4uxbb2uxbaauxbaa}}

இது பொது சொற்றொடர்.

\end{document}

@ 2018-08-02 13:54       ` R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2018-08-02 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John MacFarlane, pandoc-discuss

On 30/07/18 23:46, John MacFarlane wrote:
> "R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar" <chyavana-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
> writes:
>
>> 1. Why is only the first word of the section heading in bold in the PDF
>> output whereas it appears correctly in the HTML5 output?
>
> I would use --verbose and examine the intermediate
> LaTeX to see if that gives any clues.

The second heading appears so in the .tex file:

---
\hypertarget{uxb87uxba4-uxba4uxbaeuxbb4uxbb2-uxb92uxbb0-uxba4uxbb2uxbaauxbaa}{%
\subsection{இது தமிழில் ஒரு
தலைப்பு}\label{uxb87uxba4-uxba4uxbaeuxbb4uxbb2-uxb92uxbb0-uxba4uxbb2uxbaauxbaa}}
---

This is identical to what Pablo Rodrigues has reported in his reply on
this list.

Removing the line break in the subsection command argument and
recompiling to PDF does not help.

One interesting message I got with the --verbose option was the output:
---
[INFO] Could not load include file 'ucharclasses.sty' at line 1 column 39
---

But I _do_ have the 'ucharclasses.sty' file on my system. I notice,
however, that it is not being maintained since October 2016.

I am inclined to suspect this style file as the cause of the problem,
and am exploring alternatives to its use.

Chandra

@ 2018-08-02 14:34       ` R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
       [not found]         ` <5ad75820-fb10-0cda-e6f9-5972dd8ac7d2-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2018-08-02 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pablo Rodríguez

On 31/07/18 17:03, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

>> 1. Why is only the first word of the section heading in bold in the PDF
>> output whereas it appears correctly in the HTML5 output?
>
> Hi Chandra,
>
> your title:
>
>    ## இது தமிழில் ஒரு தலைப்பு
>
> is converted to LaTeX as:
>

> \hypertarget{uxb87uxba4-uxba4uxbaeuxbb4uxbb2-uxb92uxbb0-uxba4uxbb2uxbaauxbaa}{\subsection{இது
> தமிழில் ஒரு
> தலைப்பு}\label{uxb87uxba4-uxba4uxbaeuxbb4uxbb2-uxb92uxbb0-uxba4uxbb2uxbaauxbaa}}
>
> I’m afraid that I don’t have LaTeX installed, so I attach the output from
> LaTeX.

Yes, I get the same .tex file, and deleting the newline in the
subsection argument does not make any difference.

>> 2. What should I do to get the whole heading in bold in the PDF output?
>
> I wonder whether ucharclasses has problems with spaces for certain scripts.

Thank you.

I believe that ucharclasses.sty might be the cause of what I am seeing.

It appears to be unmaintained since 2016:

https://github.com/Pomax/ucharclasses/issues/23

> It is only a guess, but you might check it replicating the last
> paragraph in your document in italic, bold and bold italic.

Bold text in a paragraph also exhibits the same "only first word bolded"
behaviour.

I am looking for alternatives to ucharclasses but they might involve
LaTeX-specific commands that would not apply to HTML output from a
single pandoc-markdown file.

Chandra

@ 2018-08-02 16:50           ` Pablo Rodríguez
       [not found]             ` <91a7c2ba-8c70-ceaa-3d19-345a499abb81-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2018-08-02 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 08/02/2018 04:34 PM, R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar wrote:
> On 31/07/18 17:03, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>> It is only a guess, but you might check it replicating the last
>> paragraph in your document in italic, bold and bold italic.
>
> Bold text in a paragraph also exhibits the same "only first word bolded"
> behaviour.
>
> I am looking for alternatives to ucharclasses but they might involve
> LaTeX-specific commands that would not apply to HTML output from a
> single pandoc-markdown file.

I think the proper approach would be language tagging in the Markdown
source file:

```
## இது தமிழில் ஒரு தலைப்பு {lang=ta}

[இது பொது சொற்றொடர்.]{lang=ta}
```

Although tags in headings don’t work for LaTeX
(https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/4813).

As already reported, a crappy workaround might be:

```
## [இது தமிழில் ஒரு தலைப்பு]{lang=ta}

[இது பொது சொற்றொடர்.]{lang=ta}
```

Just in case it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

@ 2018-08-03 13:51               ` R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
       [not found]                 ` <077e40cf-deb6-a525-353a-714f1a6677e9-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2018-08-03 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, Pablo Rodríguez

On 02/08/18 22:20, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> I think the proper approach would be language tagging in the Markdown
> source file:
>
> ```
> ## இது தமிழில் ஒரு தலைப்பு {lang=ta}
>
> [இது பொது சொற்றொடர்.]{lang=ta}
> ```
>
> Although tags in headings don’t work for LaTeX
> (https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/4813).
>
> As already reported, a crappy workaround might be:
>
> ```
> ## [இது தமிழில் ஒரு தலைப்பு]{lang=ta}
>
> [இது பொது சொற்றொடர்.]{lang=ta}
> ```

I was not aware of the sophisticated language-handling capabilities of
pandoc alluded to in the discussion at:

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/4813

My requirement is at present only for contiguous blocks of text in one
language or the other.

I have also discovered that bold and italic typefaces are not really
common in Tamil fonts, and have therefore had to change to fonts with
this feature.

For the record, I give below my source markdown file that produces
correct outputs for both HTML5 and PDF:

---
title: Section Heading Test
lang: en-GB
otherlangs: ta
documentclass: article
classoption:
   - a4paper
   - 12pt
header-includes:
   - \setmainfont[Script=Latin]{Minion Pro}
   - \newfontfamily\tamilfont[Script=Tamil]{GIST-TMOTChanakya}
   - \thispagestyle{empty}
---

## This is a heading in English

This is normal text.

**This is bold text.**

_This is italic text._

## [இது தமிழில் ஒரு தலைப்பு]{lang=ta}

[இது சாதாரண எழுத்துக்கள் உள்ள சொற்றொடர்.]{lang=ta}

[**இது கொட்டை எழுதுக்கள் உள்ள சொற்றொடர்.**]{lang=ta}

[_இது சாய்வு எழுத்துக்கள் உள்ள சொற்றொடர்._]{lang=ta}

The resulting HTML5 and PDF outputs are shown in the two attached images.

For my purposes at least, the problem has been elegantly solved.

Thank you.

Chandra

[-- Attachment #2: headings-test-HTML5.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 53955 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: headings-test-PDF.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 38815 bytes --]

@ 2018-08-04  8:00                   ` Pablo Rodríguez
       [not found]                     ` <55ad0491-d24f-dd43-02f9-3f582460280e-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2018-08-04  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 08/03/2018 03:51 PM, R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar wrote:
> I was not aware of the sophisticated language-handling capabilities of
> pandoc alluded to in the discussion at:
>
> https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/4813

It seems that LaTeX only handles languages when in spans or divisions.

> My requirement is at present only for contiguous blocks of text in one
> language or the other.

In that case, I would only use divs, such as in:

    ## This is a heading in English

    This is normal text.

    **This is bold text.**

    _This is italic text._

    :::{lang=ta}
    ## [இது தமிழில் ஒரு தலைப்பு]

    [இது சாதாரண எழுத்துக்கள் உள்ள சொற்றொடர்.]

    [**இது கொட்டை எழுதுக்கள் உள்ள சொற்றொடர்.**]

    [_இது சாய்வு எழுத்துக்கள் உள்ள சொற்றொடர்._]
    :::

This gives the same results with less code.

I hope it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

@ 2018-08-04 13:57                       ` R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
       [not found]                         ` <775d3d1f-5af4-28d3-6f17-378e6506c189-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2018-08-04 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, Pablo Rodríguez

On 04/08/18 13:30, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> In that case, I would only use divs, such as in:
>
>      ## This is a heading in English
>
>      This is normal text.
>
>      **This is bold text.**
>
>      _This is italic text._
>
>      :::{lang=ta}
>      ## [இது தமிழில் ஒரு தலைப்பு]
>
>      [இது சாதாரண எழுத்துக்கள் உள்ள சொற்றொடர்.]
>
>      [**இது கொட்டை எழுதுக்கள் உள்ள சொற்றொடர்.**]
>
>      [_இது சாய்வு எழுத்துக்கள் உள்ள சொற்றொடர்._]
>      :::

Thanks.

But this gives the results shown in the attached image one.png.

However, if the Tamil text is tweaked so:

## [இது தமிழில் ஒரு தலைப்பு]{lang=ta}

:::{lang=ta}
இது சாதாரண எழுத்துக்கள் உள்ள சொற்றொடர்.

**இது கொட்டை எழுதுக்கள் உள்ள சொற்றொடர்.**

_இது சாய்வு எழுத்துக்கள் உள்ள சொற்றொடர்._
:::

The resulting PDF output is as shown in two.png which is what is desired.

So, the heading does appear to need exceptional treatment and a separate
language tag.

Chandra

[-- Attachment #2: one.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 20302 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: two.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 24575 bytes --]

@ 2018-08-04 14:32                           ` Pablo Rodríguez
       [not found]                             ` <ec627c0c-e921-a7c8-73e7-aeb67262aff7-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2018-08-04 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 08/04/2018 03:57 PM, R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar wrote:
> But this gives the results shown in the attached image one.png.
>
> However, if the Tamil text is tweaked so:
>
> ## [இது தமிழில் ஒரு தலைப்பு]{lang=ta}
>
> :::{lang=ta}
> இது சாதாரண எழுத்துக்கள் உள்ள சொற்றொடர்.
>
> **இது கொட்டை எழுதுக்கள் உள்ள சொற்றொடர்.**
>
> _இது சாய்வு எழுத்துக்கள் உள்ள சொற்றொடர்._
> :::
>
> The resulting PDF output is as shown in two.png which is what is desired.
>
> So, the heading does appear to need exceptional treatment and a separate
> language tag.

I guess this might be caused by another reason: typeface switching. In
my opinion, all you need is to define a fallback typeface for Tamil.

Using LuaTeX (and ConTeXt [sorry, I don’t do LaTeX]), it is clear that
language commands are applied also to headings:

    \starttext
    \start
    \language[de]
    \currentlanguage
    \section{Deutsch (languages (main/current:
        \currentmainlanguage/\currentlanguage)}

    Text (languages main/current: \currentmainlanguage/\currentlanguage)
    \stop
    \section{English (languages (main/current:
        \currentmainlanguage/\currentlanguage)}

    Text (languages main/current: \currentmainlanguage/\currentlanguage)
    \stoptext

Just in case it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

@ 2018-08-04 17:26                               ` R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
       [not found]                                 ` <650d9907-8850-169c-d395-cce49ce88c90-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2018-08-04 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, Pablo Rodríguez

On 04/08/18 20:02, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> I guess this might be caused by another reason: typeface switching. In
> my opinion, all you need is to define a fallback typeface for Tamil.

AFAICT that has been defined by the statement

\newfontfamily\tamilfont[Script=Tamil]{GIST-TMOTChanakya}

> Using LuaTeX (and ConTeXt [sorry, I don’t do LaTeX]), it is clear that
> language commands are applied also to headings:
>
>      \starttext
>      \start
>      \language[de]
>      \currentlanguage
>      \section{Deutsch (languages (main/current:
>          \currentmainlanguage/\currentlanguage)}
>
>      Text (languages main/current: \currentmainlanguage/\currentlanguage)
>      \stop
>      \section{English (languages (main/current:
>          \currentmainlanguage/\currentlanguage)}
>
>      Text (languages main/current: \currentmainlanguage/\currentlanguage)
>      \stoptext

I do not know enough about the definition of \subsection{} to figure out
how to do this in LaTeX but I have found that for non-header text
including paragraphs, lists, etc., the function of

:::{lang=ta}
:::

is to put environment wrappers in LaTeX around the enclosed text so:

\begin{tamil}
\end{tamil}

This reduces the need to specify the language individually for the text
within that environment and is a huge saving in typing effort.

Interestingly, with enumeration, the font for the (arabic) numbers in
the enumeration is also changed in the PDF output to accord with the
font chosen for the language.

Chandra

@ 2018-08-05 10:36                                   ` BP Jonsson
From: BP Jonsson @ 2018-08-05 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)