* URL escaping
@ 2015-07-29  0:30 BP Jonsson
       [not found] ` <55B81EA7.7080108-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: BP Jonsson @ 2015-07-29  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Didn't pandoc use to escape URLS in links? Links e.g. to Swedish
Wikipedia containing accented letters[^1] become invalid, but I
seem to remember that they used to work. I have written a filter
which solves the problem with the help of the appropriate Perl
module, so it's not urgent for me personally, but I can't be the
only one running into this.

/bpj

* Re: URL escaping
       [not found] ` <55B81EA7.7080108-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-07-29  3:34   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20150729033450.GC28153-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-07-29  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Yes, I believe it did once URL-escape links.

And then someone persuaded me that this wasn't the best
approach, because browsers don't need it any more, etc.
So at some point we stopped doing it.  You can probably
find this in the changelog or by searching github issues.
It would be good to reconstruct the reasoning.

+++ BP Jonsson [Jul 29 15 02:30 ]:
>Didn't pandoc use to escape URLS in links? Links e.g. to Swedish
>Wikipedia containing accented letters[^1] become invalid, but I seem
>to remember that they used to work. I have written a filter which
>solves the problem with the help of the appropriate Perl module, so
>it's not urgent for me personally, but I can't be the only one running
>into this.
>
>/bpj
>
>--

* Re: URL escaping
       [not found]     ` <20150729033450.GC28153-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-07-29 13:19       ` BPJ
       [not found]         ` <CADAJKhC6hbu949PKbf7yPxaOdX7jAx6dFxR0_s6BqcGbwaYWCw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2015-07-29 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Even if browsers don't need URL escapinf anymore (which I can confirm for
Chromium and Firefox) hyperref and/or PDF need it. I was getting invalid
links in my PDFs. A filter which wraps the canonical() method of URI.pm
does the trick. Perhaps the LaTeX writer can do the escaping for hyperref

onsdag 29 juli 2015 skrev John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>:

> Yes, I believe it did once URL-escape links.
>
> And then someone persuaded me that this wasn't the best
> approach, because browsers don't need it any more, etc.
> So at some point we stopped doing it.  You can probably
> find this in the changelog or by searching github issues.
> It would be good to reconstruct the reasoning.
>
> +++ BP Jonsson [Jul 29 15 02:30 ]:
>
>> Didn't pandoc use to escape URLS in links? Links e.g. to Swedish
>> Wikipedia containing accented letters[^1] become invalid, but I seem to
>> remember that they used to work. I have written a filter which solves the
>> problem with the help of the appropriate Perl module, so it's not urgent
>> for me personally, but I can't be the only one running into this.
>>
>> /bpj
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/55B81EA7.7080108%40gmail.com
>> .
>>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/20150729033450.GC28153%40localhost.hsd1.ca.comcast.net
> .

* Re: URL escaping
       [not found]         ` <CADAJKhC6hbu949PKbf7yPxaOdX7jAx6dFxR0_s6BqcGbwaYWCw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-07-29 17:03           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <20150729170334.GE15688-nFAEphtLEs/fysO+viCLMa55KtNWUUjk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-07-29 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Put up an issue about this?

+++ BPJ [Jul 29 15 15:19 ]:
>   Even if browsers don't need URL escapinf anymore (which I can confirm
>   for Chromium and Firefox) hyperref and/or PDF need it. I was getting
>   invalid links in my PDFs. A filter which wraps the canonical() method
>   of URI.pm does the trick. Perhaps the LaTeX writer can do the escaping
>   for hyperref
>   onsdag 29 juli 2015 skrev John MacFarlane <[1]jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>:
>
>     Yes, I believe it did once URL-escape links.
>     And then someone persuaded me that this wasn't the best
>     approach, because browsers don't need it any more, etc.
>     So at some point we stopped doing it.  You can probably
>     find this in the changelog or by searching github issues.
>     It would be good to reconstruct the reasoning.
>     +++ BP Jonsson [Jul 29 15 02:30 ]:
>
>     Didn't pandoc use to escape URLS in links? Links e.g. to Swedish
>     Wikipedia containing accented letters[^1] become invalid, but I seem
>     to remember that they used to work. I have written a filter which
>     solves the problem with the help of the appropriate Perl module, so
>     it's not urgent for me personally, but I can't be the only one
>     running into this.
>     /bpj
>     --
>     To view this discussion on the web visit
>     [2]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/55B81EA7.7080108
>     %40gmail.com.
>
>     --
>     To view this discussion on the web visit
>     [4]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/20150729033450.G
>     C28153%40localhost.hsd1.ca.comcast.net.
>
>   --
>   To view this discussion on the web visit
>   [8]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CADAJKhC6hbu949PKbf
>   7yPxaOdX7jAx6dFxR0_s6BqcGbwaYWCw%40mail.gmail.com.
>
>References
>
>   1. mailto:jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org
>   2. https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/55B81EA7.7080108-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
>   3. https://groups.google.com/d/optout
>   4. https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/20150729033450.GC28153-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org
>   5. https://groups.google.com/d/optout
>   7. mailto:pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
>   8. https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CADAJKhC6hbu949PKbf7yPxaOdX7jAx6dFxR0_s6BqcGbwaYWCw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>   9. https://groups.google.com/d/optout

* Re: URL escaping
       [not found]             ` <20150729170334.GE15688-nFAEphtLEs/fysO+viCLMa55KtNWUUjk@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-08-31 13:18               ` Andrew Dunning
       [not found]                 ` <a7ffb0ea-13f7-4eaa-a095-a4655e7d9cbf-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Andrew Dunning @ 2015-08-31 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Issue: <https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/2377>.

On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 1:03:50 PM UTC-4, John MacFarlane wrote:

> Put up an issue about this?

* Re: URL escaping
       [not found]                 ` <a7ffb0ea-13f7-4eaa-a095-a4655e7d9cbf-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-09-01  8:04                   ` BP Jonsson