I'm AFK (on my phone) ATM so that I can't check the things I talk about below, but hopefully they should be helpful. Like you I use LibreOffice rather than Word. I'm exclusively on Linux these days so I couldn't use Word even if I wanted to, since I couldn't afford neither Mac, Windows or Office even if I wanted to. I use LaTeX — usually Pandoc+LaTeX — produced PDF whenever I can, but for some reason some people want me to send them DOCX files! ;-) I think that the section numbering issue can be fixed, and IIRC I have done so in the past: As for the toc and references headings getting numbered that should be possible to fix, although perhaps in the output document rather than in the reference document. Hopefully it will become possible to use a `custom-style` attribute with headings. See the discussion at for several issues regarding custom-style for different kinds of content. It doesn't seem like headings have been on the table yet. Perhaps it should be worthwhile to create a meta-issue (is that a thing?) listing the various things which can have named styles attached to them where the corresponding Pandoc element either takes attributes itself or can be meaningfully wrapped in a Div or Span. (Page styles would probably be out!) As for default fonts it's hard to find any which everyone can be expected to have across various Linux distros, Mac and Windows, so sticking to the DOCX defaults may be the best thing to do ATM. For example fonts called "Times" and "Helvetica" may or may not exist on a given system, or they may be 256-character Type1 fonts with different charsets depending on the OS rather than Unicode OpenType fonts. It's pretty easy to change in a reference DOCX, but perhaps it could be made easier e.g. by having all headings inherit their font from the same style, if they don't already. It should be worthwhile to go through the custom styles defined in a DOCX produced by Pandoc and inspect where the various styles inherit from, or make them inherit from where you want them to and use that as your master reference DOCX so that you easily can make global changes in the future. As for a more LaTeX like appearance some of the answers to this SX question seem useful: < https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/8308/make-ms-word-document-look-like-it-has-been-typeset-in-latex?rq=1 > This answer has some links to actual templates: One problem with making Pandoc's default DOCX more like anything other than the Word defaults is that presumably most people producing DOCX with Pandoc do so because someone higher up the food chain expects to get DOCX files rather than PDF or whatever, and if they don't provide their own templates chances are they want the Word defaults, sadly. This page on the GitHub wiki (originally written by me) may also be helpful: < https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/wiki/Defining-custom-DOCX-styles-in-LibreOffice-(and-Word) > Den tors 22 aug. 2019 15:04K4zuki skrev: > Hello, > > I have also been working for docx output. > > [...] > - With a custom-reference.docx modified to number section headings, > `# References {-}` came out numbered, too; i.e., `{-}` was ignored. > (A proper fix would probably require pandoc to attach a docx style > like "Heading (unnumbered) 1" to such headings.) > [...] > > This Lua filter might help you: > > https://github.com/pandocker/pandocker-lua-filters/blob/master/lua/docx-unnumberedheadings.lua > > Your guess is correct; you have to prepare unnumbered custom heading > styles(up to 4th level) in your reference.docx, > also need to point them in YAML frontmatter (or dedicated extra YAML file). > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "pandoc-discuss" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org > To view this discussion on the web visit > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/32bb05e7-9d7b-47d8-8729-dd7b42281839%40googlegroups.com > > . > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CAFC_yuTh-0ATckyTq1TsnkgD%2BFrPRGr%2BGxDjd1P6MezD8FQuXw%40mail.gmail.com.