* License terms for pandoc's default templates
@ 2023-07-20  0:14 'Julian Reich' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found] ` <cf5d7116-e4c5-4a4b-923d-6b3b275d16e4n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Julian Reich' via pandoc-discuss @ 2023-07-20  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'd like to ask for clarification on the license terms for pandoc's default
template files.
According to the COPYRIGHT file, pandoc's templates can be licensed under
either the GPL version 2 (or any later version) or the 3-clause BSD license.
Taking these licenses literally, I've come to the conclusion that we *might*
be required to include a copyright notice and the license text (of our
choice) in the documents generated from these templates (and/or in the
accompanying materials).
This would not be a problem per se, pandoc is a great and immensely useful
tool, and we want to make sure we are using it in accordance with its
license terms.
However, while I suppose you *could* interpret the license terms that way,
I'm not so sure that was the intent.

For example from the 3-clause BSD license:

> 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

> 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

I guess it boils down to whether the generated documents are considered
"redistributions" of the templates.
I may be way off (not a lawyer), but perhaps others have also wondered
about this, and it might even be worth adding some clarifying wording to
the COPYRIGHT file.

Regards,
Julian Reich

* Re: License terms for pandoc's default templates
       [not found] ` <cf5d7116-e4c5-4a4b-923d-6b3b275d16e4n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-07-20  0:36   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <83606CC6-24DE-4351-8D98-60973D0DDD4F-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-07-20  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

These are issues that go beyond my legal knowledge. I don't think the generated documents
would count as redistributions of the templates.  They are derivative works, certainly, which is
relevant to the GPL license but maybe not BSD?

What I can say is that I certainly never intended a requirement that documents generated
using these templates contain a copyright or license notice.

@ 2023-07-24  9:05       ` 'Julian Reich' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]         ` <81877b75-2b0b-4813-a073-b93f79909a28n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Julian Reich' via pandoc-discuss @ 2023-07-24  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On Thursday, July 20, 2023 at 2:36:49 AM UTC+2 John MacFarlane wrote:

What I can say is that I certainly never intended a requirement that
documents generated
using these templates contain a copyright or license notice.

Thank you for your prompt response and clarification.
The more I think about it: if we consider the template to be a program
itself, and the generated document to be the output of that program, it
seems rather far-fetched that the license of the program should extend to
its output.
Then again, these are just my personal rationalizations, still not a lawyer.

@ 2023-07-24  9:28           ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2023-07-24  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Julian Reich' via pandoc-discuss

For the mere pleasure of discussing theoretical legal aspects, here is a Q&A that clarifies the issue (especially the first paragraph): https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WMS

@ 2023-07-24 10:02             ` Daniel Littlewood
From: Daniel Littlewood @ 2023-07-24 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I suspect that the pandoc templates are not sufficiently novel to be protected.
In particular, see https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLOutput (quoted
below, my emphasis)

> ... the only way you have a say in the use of the output is if *substantial
> parts of the output* are copied (more or less) from text in your program

Having at least looked at the HTML template, I don't think it would qualify as
a "creative work" at all. You could add a clarification to the LICENSE that
it's pandoc's position that output documents are not copyrightable, or you
could explicitly license them as Public Domain / some Permissive license. But I
doubt that it's necessary - it's intuitively obvious that the output of pandoc
should inherit the license of its input.

All the best,
Dan