* What Pandoc does not cover, yet.
@ 2022-09-09  1:08 Paulo Ney de Souza
       [not found] ` <CAFVhNZMkwe3J=_2=o-x2SKwopai=aUfLjO86G1STWS1oeRLCRw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Paulo Ney de Souza @ 2022-09-09  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

One of the beauties of Pandoc is the architecture that allows for very easy
expansion and that shows on the number of (ever increasing) formats
supported.

That made me wonder what formats Pandoc does not cover, yet! I kind of
know two of them:

The Rocket eBook (RB) format of the first eBook reader:

     https://docs.fileformat.com/ebook/rb/

The Compiled HTML (CHM) that Microsoft used a huge lot for documentation:

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Compiled_HTML_Help

What other file formats you would like to see being supported by Pandoc?

Paulo Ney

* Re: What Pandoc does not cover, yet.
       [not found] ` <CAFVhNZMkwe3J=_2=o-x2SKwopai=aUfLjO86G1STWS1oeRLCRw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-09-09 10:31   ` BPJ
       [not found]     ` <CADAJKhCUVco12z-EG36Y9_RvFYPuP7=_zZni1YBNoNbE+5_iGA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2022-09-09 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Den fre 9 sep. 2022 03:09Paulo Ney de Souza <pauloney-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> skrev:

> One of the beauties of Pandoc is the architecture that allows for very
> easy
> expansion and that shows on the number of (ever increasing) formats
> supported.
>
> That made me wonder what formats Pandoc does not cover, yet! I kind of
> know two of them:
>
> The Rocket eBook (RB) format of the first eBook reader:
>
>      https://docs.fileformat.com/ebook/rb/
>
> The Compiled HTML (CHM) that Microsoft used a huge lot for documentation:
>
>       https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Compiled_HTML_Help

Aren't these of historical interest only? (Although they might make sense
as source formats.)

> What other file formats you would like to see being supported by Pandoc?

Perl's Pod documentation format. I have been working on a custom writer and
am almost there. It mostly just needs documentation (which I by
occupational injury am very picky about) and a way to make some things
configurable when implemented as a custom writer rather than as a filter
mogrifying plain output (Question to Albert: are metadata available to
custom writers?)

A reader would be nice although Pod::Pandoc <
https://metacpan.org/pod/Pod::Pandoc> sort of fills that niche (and
Pandoc::Elements would probably need some updating, which I as the main
contributor am as guilty as anybody of not doing!) Since Pod in principle
is extensible I would like a reader which is smart enough to turn
nonstandard commands and formatting codes into Pandoc Divs and Spans, and a
convention like

``````pod
=for :image
http://example.com/image.png
``````

into a proper Pandoc image element.

FWIW I do have some qualms about Pod tools implemented in languages other
than Perl, but that's probably mostly unfounded.

/BPJ

@ 2022-09-09 15:23       ` Albert Krewinkel
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-09-09 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

BPJ <melroch-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> (Question to Albert: are metadata available to custom writers?)

There are two ways to access metadata:

1. The second argument to `Doc` contains the article metadata. Inlines
   and blocks in that table have been converted to strings, using the
   other functions in the writer. This object is most helpful when
   the metadata values are included in the output.

2. All writers have access to the global variable `PANDOC_DOCUMENT`,
   so it's possible to query metadata with `PANDOC_DOCUMENT.meta`. This
   was added to allow configuration of custom writers through metadata
   values.

--
Albert Krewinkel

@ 2022-09-09 15:54       ` Paulo Ney de Souza