Thanks. I invoked pandoc -f gfm MyDoc. -o MyDoc.pdf and in the resulting PDF document the subscripts are still ignored. When running it with --verbose in the resulting output I saw numerous instances of [INFO] Not rendering RawInline (Format "html") "" [INFO] Not rendering RawInline (Format "html") "" However, when I added -t html5 to the invocation the diagnostics above disappear, and the subscripts are indeed present in the converted PDF file. Thanks for the tip - it has indeed improved things. Now it is still the case that things like — or ℋ are ignored by pandoc. Any suggestions on how to get pandoc to process them? I am using the following: pandoc 3.1.4 Features: +server +lua Scripting engine: Lua 5.4 On Tue, Jul 4, 2023 at 3:50 PM John MacFarlane wrote: > HTML tags should be passed through to HTML formats. > > Have you looked at the intermediate HTML produced? You can use --verbose > to see it. > > This seems to work fine: > > % pandoc -t html5 > _A__m_ >

Am