* Org -> markdown footnote problem
@ 2020-09-19  4:45 Alan Tyree
       [not found] ` <CAGMsgMwaGFseM=HiswBiWvGAwkGTSRYB2Pb+spML1-vdWKTk+Q-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Alan Tyree @ 2020-09-19  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I write legal texts which have expressions like this in them:

[2009] NSWSC 256

When the [2009] appears at the beginning of a line, the Pandoc conversion
to markdown treats it as a footnote although recent versions of org do not.

Have I missed something?

Thanks for any help.
Alan

* Re: Org -> markdown footnote problem
       [not found] ` <CAGMsgMwaGFseM=HiswBiWvGAwkGTSRYB2Pb+spML1-vdWKTk+Q-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-09-19  5:22   ` Alan Tyree
From: Alan Tyree @ 2020-09-19  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Forget my previous query. I am getting footnotes generated from case
identifiers, but it is more complicated than "beginning of line". I will
try to identify the problem more precisely.

Thanks,
Alan

@ 2020-09-19  6:17   ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]     ` <87eemymgtb.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2020-09-19  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Alan Tyree writes:

> I write legal texts which have expressions like this in them:
>
> [2009] NSWSC 256
>
> When the [2009] appears at the beginning of a line, the Pandoc conversion
> to markdown treats it as a footnote although recent versions of org do not.

Pandoc's org reader still supports an old footnote syntax which, it
seems, has been entirely discontinued in Emacs org mode. We should
follow suit: please raise an issue on the issue tracker.

As a work-around, indent your lines by at least one space. Footnotes
must start in the first column; any leading spaces will prevent the
interpretatio as a footnote:

```
 [2009] Hello World, but with a leading space.
More text.
```

Cheers,
Albert