* Question about omitting brackets in citation format
@ 2021-09-24 14:16 Joseph Johnson
       [not found] ` <4910c58b-3d87-4783-a878-cc52191475a2n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Johnson @ 2021-09-24 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Good morning,

First of all, I want to say thank you to John MacFarlane and to everyone
who works on Pandoc. It is a truly wonderful tool.

If you have the chance, I'd be grateful for your advice about a citation
format question. I've only just recently learned that in addition to the
format *[@citekey, pagenum]*,  it is possible to omit the surrounding
brackets, thus preventing parentheses from being inserted in citations
within footnotes. If I understand correctly, following the examples in the
User's Guide, it should be possible to write something in a footnote like
"For more information, see *@citekey [pagenum],*" yielding the correct
reference in the footnote without enclosing it in parentheses.

However, whenever I attempt this, the page number remains within brackets
in the outputted file. For example, using the Chicago style and citing page
25, the result would be: "For more information, see *Author, Title (Place:
Publisher, Year) [25]*." This seems to suggest that the page number is not
actually being associated with the citation, and that it is just being
outputted verbatim.

The behavior is consistent when using different CSL stylesheets like MLA,
on both macOS and Linux, using two different versions of Pandoc. I assume
that I've misunderstood something, and would be grateful for advice.

Many thanks for your time, and all my best,
Joe

* Re: Question about omitting brackets in citation format
       [not found] ` <4910c58b-3d87-4783-a878-cc52191475a2n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-09-24 16:08   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2fstu0xdk.fsf-d8241O7hbXoP5tpWdHSM3tPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-09-24 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Johnson, pandoc-discuss

The feature works fine for me, so I'm not sure what is going
on in your case.  One possibility is that this is just the
way your style formats page numbers (but that's unlikely).

If you create a zip with everything needed to reproduce this
(input file, csl, bibliography, and exact command used) then
we can take a look.

@ 2021-09-24 16:19       ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2021-09-24 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Just in case, do you type "@citekey [25]" or "@citekey [p. 25]"?

@ 2021-09-24 16:47         ` Joseph Johnson
       [not found]           ` <CAGurDyAboRmdxSjnBg34vf=Gmry_oT4s7TMzKxg9qr=Y_FYOPg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Johnson @ 2021-09-24 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Dear all,

Thank you both so much for the replies. I've included a zip file here that
contains all the necessary files to show the behavior. I tried it both as
[25] and [p. 25], but the results were identical (this example shows p.
25). The file command.txt shows the command I used to produce the docx file
output.

Could it have something to do with the org-mode conversion? I also noticed
that the suppress-bibliography option didn't work for me this time, but it
has in the past.

Many thanks again for your help,
Joe

--
Dr. Joseph R. Johnson
Assistant Professor of French and Francophone Studies

[-- Attachment #2: citation-question-pandoc.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 19095 bytes --]

@ 2021-09-24 18:47             ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]               ` <m21r5d24ld.fsf-d8241O7hbXoP5tpWdHSM3tPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-09-24 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Johnson, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Oh, I was assuming you were converting from markdown.
Yes, if you're going from org, it may be a limitation of that.

See https://pandoc.org/org.html on the citation syntax currently
supported.

It may be that we can easily add support for this to org,
but I'm not the one who maintains the org reader, and I'm
also not up on the latest discussions of citations in org...

@ 2021-09-24 20:06                 ` Joseph Johnson
From: Joseph Johnson @ 2021-09-24 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John MacFarlane; +Cc: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw