Hi John, thank you for the response! Soon after making the post, I realized that there was more to this than I realized and deleted the question but I imagine that it had already landed in your mailbox. The problem seems to be that my code, which processes pandoc output a bit, turns empty anchors for line numbers into self closing anchor tags. These self closing tags seem to break the browser, which include the whole code line as the anchor text. I will look into more closely why and post an update. I am a bit puzzled at the moment. On Fri, May 8, 2020, 12:45 AM John MacFarlane wrote: > > You need to provide us with more to go on. > By itself this input wouldn't produce highlighted code at all > (no language is specified). > > Try this markdown sample: > > ~~~~~~ > One: > > ``` {.haskell .numberLines} > let x = tail y in > x <> y > ``` > > Two: > > ``` {.haskell .numberLines} > x >>= y >>= z > ``` > ~~~~~~ > > This works fine. Line numbers are generated. The line numbers are > links to the line (very useful!). The two snippets generate separate > ids with links to separat elines. > > Without the 'numberLines' class you don't get the line numbers, > and the lines are NOT links to themselves. > > When converting from LaTeX/listings, you'll need to add the > numbers=left option to get numbering. > > In your output > > 2 ( class="dt">int) > > the line is not a link to itself (tested on browser just to make > sure); there is an element but its content is empty since > you don't have a line number. > > > > > > > Umut Acar writes: > > > At some point after pandoc version 2.7.2, pandoc started translating > code > > blocks to html from LaTeX sources somewhat differently. > > > > For example, the code block > > > > ``` > > \begin{lstlisting} > > ... > > 2 (int) > > \end{lstlisting} > > ``` > > used to produce the following html > > ``` > > 2 > ( > class="dt">int) > > ``` > > It now produces the following > > ``` > > 2 ( > class="dt">int) > > ``` > > > > On a browser, the latter renders the code "int" as a html link to > itself; > > the code line is rendered as a link (to itself). > > > > Also, because the code anchor id's such as `cb2-4` are not unique > (multiple > > code blocks generate the same id's), clicking on a code line sends the > > browser to the first instance of that id, usually somewhere up the page. > > > > The new translation is also dropping the code line numbers. > > > > Any thoughts about what might be going on and suggestions about how this > > could be fixed? I would be happy with the prior behavior code lines > were > > not assigned anchor tags and were numbered serially. > > > > > > > > > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send > an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org > > To view this discussion on the web visit > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/49108dd7-3ee5-41b5-9b8c-92c558ff46b5%40googlegroups.com > . > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CAJ2-sn2Mh79PY4JK3kvcrLMwHgQqmJ6%2BN%2BbDAP%2BW7K_aSaj3oQ%40mail.gmail.com.