* document format similar to epub, but for articles
@ 2021-01-27  7:00 brainchild
       [not found] ` <54edaf11-be4f-47dc-a5c8-8b2c7f2b1d88n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: brainchild @ 2021-01-27  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

An EPUB document encapsulates a package of medias into a single,
distributable file, using HTML (in fact XHTML) to represent formatted
textual content. By the design of the format, each document has the layout
of a full book, complete with a table of contents and multiple chapters.

For publications of a single article, EPUB is not an appropriate format.

Is any alternative format available, for article publications, that
packages media files, but requires no table of contents or separation of
content into chapters?

As best I understand, no such format is in widespread use, and yet the
ability would seem useful to distribute articles for display in readers of
a design similar to current eBook readers.

* Re: document format similar to epub, but for articles
       [not found] ` <54edaf11-be4f-47dc-a5c8-8b2c7f2b1d88n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-01-27 12:49   ` Leonard Rosenthol
       [not found]     ` <CALu=v3LwFCyQXdphrubv9W9ORfsCfWtH+gssm5Ov+3vP3K4kwQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Leonard Rosenthol @ 2021-01-27 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

There have been some attempts at such a format but they have never caught
on.

EPUB *could* support such things, but as the members of the standards
committee have been and continue to be almost entirely commercial
publishers - it's only complete publications (books,magazines, manga, etc.)
that concerns them.

Perhaps that is one reason why many publications (esp. scientific) continue
to use PDF...

Leonard

@ 2021-01-27 20:30       ` Julien Dutant
       [not found]         ` <96ded010-bd1a-475e-b097-8013be8f2879n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Julien Dutant @ 2021-01-27 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Cultural Anthropology (https://journal.culanth.org/, open access) publishes
single articles as EPUB and they look ok. Their solution is to make them as
a one-chapter book. That way the article isn't chopped up into 'chapters'.
The only downside is that the table of contents repeats the title as
chapter title and lists the sections as sub-parts of that single chapter.
Agreed that it's not perfect: you would not repeat the article title and
only have the sections, or no table of contents at all (though the ability
to jump to sections is nice). But it's usable.

Perhaps there's even a solution to that: if EPUB allows you to have a
shortened title in the table of contents, perhaps you can make the unique
chapter title empty or a non-breakable space?

@ 2021-02-09  1:32           ` Dyspeptic Curmudgeon
From: Dyspeptic Curmudgeon @ 2021-02-09  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw