From: Lukas Atkinson <opensource-3R968MVE1sOAz21JXljZEw@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: Inclusivity Issues for new contributors
Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 21:02:30 +0200	[thread overview]

It's so cool that you have an Open Source class! There also was a similar
review from you class here
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/pandoc-discuss/SCNaNRT7484/4exwbELFAAAJ>.

On issue 1: I think the documentation clearly covers the Pandoc-specific
parts. It cannot be a guide that starts from zero. However, a short mention
of what cabal and stack are might be useful for people new to Haskell.

On issue 2: the documentation shows how to run the tests – but not how to
create them. I think a short example that mentions "pandoc -t native" would
already be helpful (this was not obvious to me when I tried hacking on
internals).

On issue 3: pandoc is many things to many people, but fundamentally it is a
compiler. Those are routinely implemented as command line tools, which
makes them easy to integrate into other software. I think a GUI would be
out of scope for the project – any GUI would effectively be a fully fledged
text editor. There are many projects that do provide some Pandoc user
interface, including the Stackedit web app, editor plugins, or
Rstudio/Knitr. The documentation links to various pandoc-related tools
under the entry “extras <https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/wiki/Pandoc-Extras>”.

I'm also not sure front end devs would be the main audience, as opposed to
academics?