* Flexible Tables
@ 2019-04-09 17:11 ivo welch
       [not found] ` <bb92a4f9-ce4b-4b9f-8e4f-56a8819a9638-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: ivo welch @ 2019-04-09 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I am still fairly new here.  I want to author most of my documents in
markdown for pandoc.   My three key output formats are powerpoint, latex,
and html.

my main problem is the lack of column spanning support in md tables.
 Alas, until there is a definitive solution, are there crutch solutions?
In particular, I wonder how one can author raw html tables (and/or raw tex)
tables into the markdown text and just do it twice, once in each native
format.  or can pandoc take an html table with column spans, properly
designated in the markdown, and convert it to a tex table with column spans
(i.e., not authoring the table as a markdown table).

if anyone has a suggestion, please post a simple example.

* Re: Flexible Tables
       [not found] ` <bb92a4f9-ce4b-4b9f-8e4f-56a8819a9638-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-04-09 19:29   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <yh480kr2ab3rke.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-04-09 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ivo welch, pandoc-discuss

ivo welch <ivowel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> my main problem is the lack of column spanning support in md tables.
>  Alas, until there is a definitive solution, are there crutch solutions?
> In particular, I wonder how one can author raw html tables (and/or raw tex)
> tables into the markdown text and just do it twice, once in each native
> format.

Yes, you can do this. Use the raw attribute:

```{=latex}
\begin{table}
...here's your tex table.
...it won't appear in HTML output
\end{table}
```

```{=html}
...here's your HTML table.
...it won't appear in LaTeX output
```

> or can pandoc take an html table with column spans, properly
> designated in the markdown, and convert it to a tex table with column spans
> (i.e., not authoring the table as a markdown table).

Sorry, the answer to this is no, currently.

* Re: Flexible Tables
       [not found]     ` <yh480kr2ab3rke.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-04-10  1:11       ` jeremy theler
From: jeremy theler @ 2019-04-10  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

is there a generic fallback like an "else" statement for neither html nor
latex outputs?

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019, 16:30 John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> ivo welch <ivowel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > my main problem is the lack of column spanning support in md tables.
> >  Alas, until there is a definitive solution, are there crutch
> solutions?
> > In particular, I wonder how one can author raw html tables (and/or raw
> tex)
> > tables into the markdown text and just do it twice, once in each native
> > format.
>
> Yes, you can do this. Use the raw attribute:
>
> ```{=latex}
> \begin{table}
> ...here's your tex table.
> ...it won't appear in HTML output
> \end{table}
> ```
>
> ```{=html}
> ...here's your HTML table.
> ...it won't appear in LaTeX output
> ```
>
> > or can pandoc take an html table with column spans, properly
> > designated in the markdown, and convert it to a tex table with column
> spans
> > (i.e., not authoring the table as a markdown table).
>
> Sorry, the answer to this is no, currently.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/yh480kr2ab3rke.fsf%40johnmacfarlane.net
> .

* Re: Flexible Tables
@ 2019-04-10  5:56         ` BPJ
       [not found]           ` <CADAJKhAOC0ikuoCRVUdrzmjctaxOegRptEdpQeDUCjKiLm6gKQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2019-04-10  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

If you mean a third version which is used when targeting any other format
then you would need a div and filter it out when targeting LaTeX or HTML.
That subject was up here only last week. Look for "conditional compilation".

Den ons 10 apr. 2019 03:12jeremy theler <jeremy-24em0bpozeFWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org> skrev:

> is there a generic fallback like an "else" statement for neither html nor
> latex outputs?
>
> On Tue, Apr 9, 2019, 16:30 John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> ivo welch <ivowel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>>
>> > my main problem is the lack of column spanning support in md tables.
>> >  Alas, until there is a definitive solution, are there crutch
>> solutions?
>> > In particular, I wonder how one can author raw html tables (and/or raw
>> tex)
>> > tables into the markdown text and just do it twice, once in each native
>> > format.
>>
>> Yes, you can do this. Use the raw attribute:
>>
>> ```{=latex}
>> \begin{table}
>> ...here's your tex table.
>> ...it won't appear in HTML output
>> \end{table}
>> ```
>>
>> ```{=html}
>> ...here's your HTML table.
>> ...it won't appear in LaTeX output
>> ```
>>
>> > or can pandoc take an html table with column spans, properly
>> > designated in the markdown, and convert it to a tex table with column
>> spans
>> > (i.e., not authoring the table as a markdown table).
>>
>> Sorry, the answer to this is no, currently.
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/yh480kr2ab3rke.fsf%40johnmacfarlane.net
>> .
>>
> --