Hello, Why could pandoc not store lost tagged information inside data attributes on an element? It could also store information in comments or in a div that has style="display:none". Thanks, Brandon Keith Biggs On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 2:04 AM Ulrike Fischer wrote: > Am Mon, 01 Apr 2019 17:07:12 -0700 schrieb John MacFarlane: > > >>> Adding tags by hand in LaTeX is a huge pain, > >> > >> well I don't think that it is so bad ;-). Quite a lot tagging can be > >> done automatically (if you use a sensible class with enough hooks). > > > > I looked at your proof-of-concept (the tagpdf > > documentation) and it looked like you needed to > > manually insert a tag before and after every > > paragraph, for example. Is there a way to make > > this unnecessary in LaTeX class definitions? > > That's a good question and one thing I'm thinking about a lot. Imho > one should try to do it with some lua callbacks. The main problem is > if one can find a heuristic and a call back that doesn't add > structures in wrong places without means to suppress this. But > currently I'm sticking to manual tagging to get a better fealing > about the places where the tags are needed. > > Don't take tagging of the docu to seriously: I was quite in a hurry > as I wanted to upload a new version to show it in a talk I had last > week. There are lots of places where tagging can/should be improved. > > > This is the kind of thing pandoc could add > > quite easily when generated LaTeX. > > The problem is that I don't want something only working with latex > generated from other format like markdown or html and pandoc can't > tag all existing latex documents. > E.g. if I compile this with pandoc to html > > \documentclass{article} > \usepackage{lipsum} > \begin{document} > abc > > \lipsum[1-3] > \end{document} > > then the output is

abc

and the lipsum is lost. > > The other problem is the interferences of definitions. E.g. I can > quite easily define lists so that this is tagged automatically: > > \begin{itemize} > \item abc > \item abc > \end{itemize} > > but then I run into problems with : > > \begin{itemize} > \item abc \par xyz > > \item abc > \end{itemize} > > as now I need to close and reopen a structure at the \par. > > > > >> There are certainly a number of open problems. But the only thing > >> that really needs new experimental kernel code currently are the > >> tagging of links. > > > That's good to hear. Do you think it would be > > premature for pandoc to have an optional mode that > > includes tagpdf and inserts appropriate tags? > > As long as you keep in mind that it is experimental, and that there > are open points, and that it needs lualatex, and that the link code > will need some weeks until it is really usable (in short: it is all > quite alpha-beta software ;-)) I would be quite grateful if more > documents are created with tags - I need more feedback and real > world examples. > > -- > Ulrike Fischer > http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/ > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "pandoc-discuss" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org > To post to this group, send email to pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org > To view this discussion on the web visit > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/e1r9tb6rvroj.dlg%40nililand.de > . > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To post to this group, send email to pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CAKAWQkUQ-GMo0TmfanDNcwrd_t7fVpx7A7aLpRCe4PjDYdxPYw%40mail.gmail.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.