* Generating Tagged PDFs That Are Accessible to Screen Readers?
@ 2019-03-31 14:42 Brandon Keith Biggs
       [not found] ` <CAKAWQkW03eFnLofHrVfWsDQVm4bFFUPkwuzc-t10GGiqJuv-AA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Brandon Keith Biggs @ 2019-03-31 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hello,
Does anyone have a better workflow for generating tagged PDFs than
converting to docx or odt and generating the PDF from there?
Conferences are starting to require accessible PDFs:
https://icad2019.icad.org/call-for-participation/
https://assets19.sigaccess.org/creating_accessible_pdfs.html

The output to HTML, epub, docx, and odt with pandoc is great tag-wise, but
not to PDF. If anyone knows a better process, I'm sure all the conferences
requiring accessible PDFs would be very happy to promote pandoc.
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs <http://brandonkeithbiggs.com/>

* Re: Generating Tagged PDFs That Are Accessible to Screen Readers?
       [not found] ` <CAKAWQkW03eFnLofHrVfWsDQVm4bFFUPkwuzc-t10GGiqJuv-AA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-03-31 17:50   ` BP Jonsson
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: BP Jonsson @ 2019-03-31 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, Brandon Keith Biggs

Den 2019-03-31 kl. 16:42, skrev Brandon Keith Biggs:
> Hello,
> Does anyone have a better workflow for generating tagged PDFs than
> converting to docx or odt and generating the PDF from there?
> Conferences are starting to require accessible PDFs:
> https://icad2019.icad.org/call-for-participation/
> https://assets19.sigaccess.org/creating_accessible_pdfs.html
>
> The output to HTML, epub, docx, and odt with pandoc is great tag-wise, but
> not to PDF. If anyone knows a better process, I'm sure all the conferences
> requiring accessible PDFs would be very happy to promote pandoc.
> Thanks,
>
> Brandon Keith Biggs <http://brandonkeithbiggs.com/>

According to discussion I've seen on the XeTeX mailing lists it's
very difficult to produce accessible PDFs even with dedicated PDF
source. The issue is in the air though so that may change.

* Re: Generating Tagged PDFs That Are Accessible to Screen Readers?
@ 2019-04-01  8:10 ` Ulrike Fischer
       [not found]   ` <ukrij1lawu2s.dlg-bMiYgyzgJ3Ab1SvskN2V4Q@public.gmane.org>
       [not found] ` <CAKAWQkW03eFnLofHrVfWsDQVm4bFFUPkwuzc-t10GGiqJuv-AA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2019-04-01  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Am Sun, 31 Mar 2019 07:42:45 -0700 schrieb Brandon Keith Biggs:

> Hello,
> Does anyone have a better workflow for generating tagged PDFs than
> converting to docx or odt and generating the PDF from there?
> Conferences are starting to require accessible PDFs:
> https://icad2019.icad.org/call-for-participation/
> https://assets19.sigaccess.org/creating_accessible_pdfs.html
>
> The output to HTML, epub, docx, and odt with pandoc is great tag-wise, but
> not to PDF. If anyone knows a better process, I'm sure all the conferences
> requiring accessible PDFs would be very happy to promote pandoc.

When using context as the tex engine you can add
\setuptagging[state=start].

With latex you can add tags with the tagpdf package. But this is
currently quite experimental, and if and how well it works depends a
lot on the document and the template. If you want to try you will
need validation software like pac3 or adobe pro. And I would advise
to avoid the additional complication of a pandoc conversion and to
work at first only with the latex sources.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

@ 2019-04-01  9:21     ` Brandon Keith Biggs
From: Brandon Keith Biggs @ 2019-04-01  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thank you, I need to install context and try it out. It's super strange
that HTML to PDF converters don't make tagged PDFs by default, because HTML
and the PDF tags are extremely similar.

Where do I place the:
\setuptagging[state=start]
 command? Just above my first heading, or in a yaml block?

@ 2019-04-01  9:59       ` Ulrike Fischer
       [not found]         ` <1jnewh8r1pdrv$.dlg-bMiYgyzgJ3Ab1SvskN2V4Q@public.gmane.org>
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2019-04-01  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Am Mon, 1 Apr 2019 02:21:37 -0700 schrieb Brandon Keith Biggs:

> Thank you, I need to install context and try it out. It's super strange
> that HTML to PDF converters don't make tagged PDFs by default, because HTML
> and the PDF tags are extremely similar.

If you would make a pdf directly from the html by "printing it out"
it would be probably rather easy. But you are going through tex and
it has to create the links and this is not easy. Think alone e.g.
about \tableofcontents. It generates automatically text and you need
to add tags around all the entries and labels.

> Where do I place the:
> \setuptagging[state=start]
>  command? Just above my first heading, or in a yaml block?

I don't know. I'm a latex user, I seldom use pandoc and also context
normally only for some tests. So you will have to try it out. (But
as your conference only offers a latex template, you will have to
recreate it with context yourself if you want to go this way. That
is probably not easy ...)

--

@ 2019-04-01 18:22           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-04-01 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrike Fischer, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

This is a really important issue, and in fact I just
put up a GitHub issue relating to it the other day:
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/5409

I've been working on a book in LaTeX, and making it
accessible has proven very frustrating. So I'm
especially happy to see this post from Ulrike Fischer,
who as the author of tagpdf is one of the prime movers
of progress on this front! Ulrike, please feel free to
comment on the issue.

Adding tags by hand in LaTeX is a huge pain, but
pandoc could be made to generate the required tags
automatically when producing LaTeX. (That's what issue
#5409 is about.) Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the
LaTeX infrastructure is quite there yet. I've gotten
documents to compile using tagpdf, but as Ulrike says
it's experimental and requires updating the LaTeX
kernel.

* Re: Generating Tagged PDFs That Are Accessible to Screen Readers?
@ 2019-04-01 21:33             ` Ulrike Fischer
       [not found]               ` <2vap744mxcf1.dlg-bMiYgyzgJ3Ab1SvskN2V4Q@public.gmane.org>
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2019-04-01 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Am Mon, 01 Apr 2019 11:22:05 -0700 schrieb John MacFarlane:

> Adding tags by hand in LaTeX is a huge pain,

well I don't think that it is so bad ;-). Quite a lot tagging can be
done automatically (if you use a sensible class with enough hooks).

But beside this: I'm always interested in hearing about problems
(and seeing possible solutions) as this is currently the main point
of the package: identifying issues on all levels from low level code
to user interface in package. The more examples and concrete code I
get the better.

So if you have something add an issue to the github page or sent me
a mail.

> Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the
> LaTeX infrastructure is quite there yet. I've gotten
> documents to compile using tagpdf, but as Ulrike says
> it's experimental and requires updating the LaTeX
> kernel.

There are certainly a number of open problems. But the only thing
that really needs new experimental kernel code currently are the
tagging of links.

--
Ulrike Fischer
https://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

@ 2019-04-02  0:07                 ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                   ` <yh480kimvxjmmn.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-04-02  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrike Fischer, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Ulrike Fischer <luatex-bMiYgyzgJ3Ab1SvskN2V4Q@public.gmane.org> writes:

>> Adding tags by hand in LaTeX is a huge pain,
>
> well I don't think that it is so bad ;-). Quite a lot tagging can be
> done automatically (if you use a sensible class with enough hooks).

I looked at your proof-of-concept (the tagpdf
documentation) and it looked like you needed to
manually insert a tag before and after every
paragraph, for example.  Is there a way to make
this unnecessary in LaTeX class definitions?
This is the kind of thing pandoc could add
quite easily when generated LaTeX.  It could also
add alt text for images (since markdown image
links have alt text anyway) and it could add
descriptions of math (pandoc can convert between
tex math, mathml, and a unicode fallback).

>> Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the
>> LaTeX infrastructure is quite there yet. I've gotten
>> documents to compile using tagpdf, but as Ulrike says
>> it's experimental and requires updating the LaTeX
>> kernel.
>
> There are certainly a number of open problems. But the only thing
> that really needs new experimental kernel code currently are the
> tagging of links.

That's good to hear.  Do you think it would be
premature for pandoc to have an optional mode that
includes tagpdf and inserts appropriate tags?

* Re: Generating Tagged PDFs That Are Accessible to Screen Readers?
@ 2019-04-02  9:04                   ` Ulrike Fischer
       [not found]                     ` <e1r9tb6rvroj.dlg-bMiYgyzgJ3Ab1SvskN2V4Q@public.gmane.org>
       [not found]                   ` <yh480kimvxjmmn.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2019-04-02  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Am Mon, 01 Apr 2019 17:07:12 -0700 schrieb John MacFarlane:

>>> Adding tags by hand in LaTeX is a huge pain,
>>
>> well I don't think that it is so bad ;-). Quite a lot tagging can be
>> done automatically (if you use a sensible class with enough hooks).
>
> I looked at your proof-of-concept (the tagpdf
> documentation) and it looked like you needed to
> manually insert a tag before and after every
> paragraph, for example.  Is there a way to make
> this unnecessary in LaTeX class definitions?

That's a good question and one thing I'm thinking about a lot. Imho
one should try to do it with some lua callbacks. The main problem is
if one can find a heuristic and a call back that doesn't add
structures in wrong places without means to suppress this. But
currently I'm sticking to manual tagging to get a better fealing
about the places where the tags are needed.

Don't take tagging of the docu to seriously: I was quite in a hurry
as I wanted to upload a new version to show it in a talk I had last
week. There are lots of places where tagging can/should be improved.

> This is the kind of thing pandoc could add
> quite easily when generated LaTeX.

The problem is that I don't want something only working with latex
generated from other format like markdown or html and pandoc can't
tag all existing latex documents.
E.g. if I compile this with pandoc to html

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{lipsum}
\begin{document}
abc

\lipsum[1-3]
\end{document}

then the output is <p>abc</p> and the lipsum is lost.

The other problem is the interferences of definitions. E.g. I can
quite easily define lists so that this is tagged automatically:

\begin{itemize}
\item abc
\item abc
\end{itemize}

but then I run into problems with :

\begin{itemize}
\item abc \par xyz

\item abc
\end{itemize}

as now I need to close and reopen a structure at the \par.

>> There are certainly a number of open problems. But the only thing
>> that really needs new experimental kernel code currently are the
>> tagging of links.

> That's good to hear.  Do you think it would be
> premature for pandoc to have an optional mode that
> includes tagpdf and inserts appropriate tags?

As long as you keep in mind that it is experimental, and that there
are open points, and that it needs lualatex, and that the link code
will need some weeks until it is really usable (in short: it is all
quite alpha-beta software ;-)) I would be quite grateful if more
documents are created with tags - I need more feedback and real
world examples.

--

@ 2019-04-02  9:21                     ` Brandon Keith Biggs
From: Brandon Keith Biggs @ 2019-04-02  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hello,
If Pandoc would get this feature, I would use it quite a lot and be testing
it with my screen reader.
The main things that effect the UX of a PDF with a screen reader are:
1. Tagged Reading Order
2. Headings
3. Tables, and if possible, table headers
3. Title
4. Alt Text on Images
5. Being able to click on links

I don't know LaTeX or PDF, but these are things that come strait from
Markdown by default. To a screen reader user, PDF looks a whole lot like a
webpage when it is tagged properly.

@ 2019-04-02  9:38                       ` Brandon Keith Biggs
From: Brandon Keith Biggs @ 2019-04-02  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hello,
Why could pandoc not store lost tagged information inside data attributes
<https://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_global_data.asp> on an element?
It could also store information in comments or in a div that has
style="display:none".

@ 2019-04-02 15:37                       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-04-02 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrike Fischer, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

> The problem is that I don't want something only working with latex
> generated from other format like markdown or html and pandoc can't
> tag all existing latex documents.
> E.g. if I compile this with pandoc to html
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{lipsum}
> \begin{document}
> abc
>
> \lipsum[1-3]
> \end{document}
>
> then the output is <p>abc</p> and the lipsum is lost.

Yes, I completely understand the need to make this
work in regular LaTeX documents.  But I don't see a
good way right now to tag paragraphs automatically.
That seems the biggest sticking point: if you can
solve this, it will be great!

(I have been trying to use tagpdf to make a book
I'm working on accessible, and this is the biggest
stumbling block.  I don't want to go back through
the whole book inserting special environments
around every paragraph!)

@ 2019-04-02 19:59   ` Václav Haisman
From: Václav Haisman @ 2019-04-02 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1331 bytes --]

On 31. 03. 19 16:42, Brandon Keith Biggs wrote:
> Hello,
> Does anyone have a better workflow for generating tagged PDFs than
> converting to docx or odt and generating the PDF from there?
> Conferences are starting to require accessible PDFs:
> https://icad2019.icad.org/call-for-participation/
> https://assets19.sigaccess.org/creating_accessible_pdfs.html
>
> The output to HTML, epub, docx, and odt with pandoc is great tag-wise,
> but not to PDF. If anyone knows a better process, I'm sure all the
> conferences requiring accessible PDFs would be very happy to promote
> pandoc.
> Thanks,
>
> Brandon Keith Biggs <http://brandonkeithbiggs.com/>

Doesn't \usepackage[ua]{pdfx} deal with at least part of the accessibility?

--
VH

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 3059 bytes --]

* Re: Generating Tagged PDFs That Are Accessible to Screen Readers?
@ 2019-04-02 20:13     ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2019-04-02 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Am Tue, 2 Apr 2019 21:59:06 +0200 schrieb Václav Haisman:

> Doesn't \usepackage[ua]{pdfx} deal with at least part of the accessibility?

No. pdfx doesn't tag a pdf.

From the docu

"By ‘Experimental, not fully implemented’ here we mean primarily
that the document structure, as required for ‘Tagged PDF’, is not
handled by this package."

--

@ 2019-04-02 21:19                         ` Ulrike Fischer
       [not found]                           ` <1lce9q7wcf06g.dlg-bMiYgyzgJ3Ab1SvskN2V4Q@public.gmane.org>
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2019-04-02 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Am Tue, 02 Apr 2019 08:37:09 -0700 schrieb John MacFarlane:

> But I don't see a good way right now to tag paragraphs
> automatically. That seems the biggest sticking point:

I understand that is boring and a nuisance to add commands to every
paragraph. But I don't think that it is the biggest sticking point.
Compared to the markup needed for say reledmac or tabulars or some
tikz code, index, citations etc it isn't so much.

I will think about it, but there are other problems which are more
pressing and important.

--

@ 2019-06-01  6:37                             ` Pranesh Prakash
From: Pranesh Prakash @ 2019-06-01  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Dear all,
Andy Clifton, who has been working on the [[AccessibleMetaClass]] package
for LaTex has split that project up into two: [[strucPDF]] and
CorporateLaTex, the former of which deals with accessibility.  That might
be of interest to those taking part in this discussion and working on
better accessibility for all with Pandoc and LaTex.

  [AccessibleMetaClass]: https://github.com/AndyClifton/AccessibleMetaClass
  [strucPDF]: https://github.com/AndyClifton/strucPDF

Regards,
Pranesh

@ 2019-06-20 11:02   ` CR
       [not found]     ` <dbeb757a-cf86-45f1-85a4-22005b296424-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: CR @ 2019-06-20 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

In 2012 I worked with US public school student standardized tests in PDF
format that had to be read by the computer voice for people with visual
disabilities. Large-print PDFs were not enough for them. What we discovered
was all the text in a PDF is in a random order when you look at the actual
internal structure of the PDF. I don't think this has changed. What that
meant for US states is we had to manually reorder every word in the PDF by
hand which was enormously expensive and time-consuming. I can't remember
the requirement law for US states that required this but it was a
requirement for every US public school.

@ 2019-11-06  9:09       ` Pranesh Prakash
From: Pranesh Prakash @ 2019-11-06  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Dear all,
An "accessibility" package has been added to CTAN:
https://ctan.org/pkg/accessibility

Has anyone tested this?  Is this a possible way forward?

Also, I noted that in this issue comment on Github, Karl Pettersson has
noted that the ConTeXt PDF writer produces accessible PDFs:
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/5409#issuecomment-504438591

That might be helpful for those looking to produce accessible PDFs.

Regards,
Pranesh

* Re: Generating Tagged PDFs That Are Accessible to Screen Readers?
       [not found] ` <CAKAWQkW03eFnLofHrVfWsDQVm4bFFUPkwuzc-t10GGiqJuv-AA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-02-05 14:03   ` Ignacio Jonatan Hernández López
       [not found]     ` <c0988854-abbb-4f44-8e7b-75f7c95066f6-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ignacio Jonatan Hernández López @ 2020-02-05 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi.

I am using "--pdf-engine="prince" and --pdf-engine-opt="--tagged-pdf".

@ 2020-02-05 19:16       ` Brandon Keith Biggs
From: Brandon Keith Biggs @ 2020-02-05 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hello,
This works great!
I would still like to see Pandoc generate tagged PDFs by default, but this
is a fantastic solution!
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs <http://brandonkeithbiggs.com/>

@ 2020-10-20 17:45       ` Pranesh Prakash
       [not found]         ` <e8bf8cd7-c96e-4a4f-b99b-04abf645985en-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Pranesh Prakash @ 2020-10-20 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

It would be good to add to the manual a note documenting Ignacio's finding
that `--pdf-engine=prince` and `--pdf-engine-opt=--tagged-pdf` generates an
accessible PDF.

Shall I open a pull request for this?

@ 2020-10-20 17:54           ` Leonard Rosenthol
From: Leonard Rosenthol @ 2020-10-20 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)